Cat Stevens “TEASER & THE FIRECAT” 50th Anniversary SDE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, these old albums are near and dear to my heart. I've played them and heard them so many times I can almost play the entire album, in track order, in my head. When I hear a song like "If I Laugh" (just a little bit), and it ends, I expect to hear "Changes". It's all programmed in there somewhere.

Anyway, I digress. The fact is that many of these deluxe super editions are great, and most of them I end up getting, especially if there is a surround track included. But the real truth to the tale is this. I end up playing the thing, marvel at the quality (at least the part I can still hear), briefly glance at the "extra stuff", extract the 5.1 for the car, then put the thing away. AND NEVER TAKE IT BACK OUT AGAIN!

Now, I may be the outlier, but the thing is that I know these albums so well that I almost do not want to listen to them anymore. I am sure when "Let it Be" gets here, I will get all amped up, listen to it, rip it, check out the extra tracks (most of what I've heard in the past from the many boots that have been out there for decades), and then that too will go on a shelf and I won't go back to it very often. In reality, when "Let it Be" came out, I played it constantly. But honestly I don't think I've played the entire album through in over 30 years. Maybe when it first came out on CD. The same with "Teaser and the Firecat"

It's a shame that these super deluxe editions did not come out back closer to their original release date, hack, even 20 years or so. The music would be at least 30 years fresher.

Music is part of our fabric, and one of the things that sucks about music is you can absolutely LOVE a song or an album or a performer, but you can also absolutely become completely burned out about each one of those things.

How often do you queue up "Stairway to Heaven"?

You know, these old albums are near and dear to my heart. I've played them and heard them so many times I can almost play the entire album, in track order, in my head. When I hear a song like "If I Laugh" (just a little bit), and it ends, I expect to hear "Changes". It's all programmed in there somewhere.

Anyway, I digress. The fact is that many of these deluxe super editions are great, and most of them I end up getting, especially if there is a surround track included. But the real truth to the tale is this. I end up playing the thing, marvel at the quality (at least the part I can still hear), briefly glance at the "extra stuff", extract the 5.1 for the car, then put the thing away. AND NEVER TAKE IT BACK OUT AGAIN!

Now, I may be the outlier, but the thing is that I know these albums so well that I almost do not want to listen to them anymore. I am sure when "Let it Be" gets here, I will get all amped up, listen to it, rip it, check out the extra tracks (most of what I've heard in the past from the many boots that have been out there for decades), and then that too will go on a shelf and I won't go back to it very often. In reality, when "Let it Be" came out, I played it constantly. But honestly I don't think I've played the entire album through in over 30 years. Maybe when it first came out on CD. The same with "Teaser and the Firecat"

It's a shame that these super deluxe editions did not come out back closer to their original release date, hack, even 20 years or so. The music would be at least 30 years fresher.

Music is part of our fabric, and one of the things that sucks about music is you can absolutely LOVE a song or an album or a performer, but you can also absolutely become completely burned out about each one of those things.

Haha etc. You played the "Stairway " card!
I don't remember where or who said it but from years ago I remember this comment: "Sure, Stairway to Heaven is an epic masterpiece. But how many times do you have to hear it before you want to jab ice picks through your eardrums so you never have to hear it again?"

For the most part I feel much as you do on this topic. To spend $$ on something old but new that I'll listen to a few times just doesn't appeal that much to me. If the nostalgia itch is too strong, there's always YouTube with more than one version of every song I might want to hear. It ain't super high fidelity but some wine smooths that over...

And it seems like yesterday they just came out with 50th anniversary remake of Tea for the Tillerman.

And some day I will be no longer here & my kids will say, "what the hell do we do with all this stuff?"

I tend to do the same! I wonder if now we're older have 'more' spare money and can buy what we want, when we want, we do. But, that magic of going out flicking through the albums, selecting one maybe two, going home, being awed or overawed by the music, then listening a few times in succession, that feeling has gone. Now we just click, wait for a package, wait for the download, and then play once, wait for the next one etc. Or in my case, build a to listen to mountain!

You're right. Close the forum. Let's all get into sports...

I tend to do the same! I wonder if now we're older have 'more' spare money and can buy what we want, when we want, we do. But, that magic of going out flicking through the albums, selecting one maybe two, going home, being awed or overawed by the music, then listening a few times in succession, that feeling has gone. Now we just click, wait for a package, wait for the download, and then play once, wait for the next one etc. Or in my case, build a to listen to mountain!
Amen. When you can't buy a lot of albums you really give each new album you get a good listen and really get to know it because you don't have 3000+ other albums sitting on your shelf to chose from. Also you chose your purchases more wisely.

Bring it all on...in surround. I never get sick of hearing the classic stuff, especially in high quality surround. Oh, and I never play Stairway To Heaven on the big rig because the redbook CD sounds like shit

great minds think alike! :LOL: i said much the same thing to Jonathan in a PM tonight re: GnR, i truly believe if some of these box sets including the 5.1 had come out 10-15 years earlier it might've had a bigger impact, instead we got standalone titles with a fair bit of dross, some hidden gems and verging on a handful of stone cold classics in the SACD/DVD-A days and by the time the big SDE style boxes really kicked in DVD-Audio was rapidly becoming a DVD-Dodo.. hindsight's a boon but lets face it it was never gonna hack it was it! ah well, the past ain't what it used to be..

Haha etc. You played the "Stairway " card!
I don't remember where or who said it but from years ago I remember this comment: "Sure, Stairway to Heaven is an epic masterpiece. But how many times do you have to hear it before you want to jab ice picks through your eardrums so you never have to hear it again?"

For the most part I feel much as you do on this topic. To spend $$ on something old but new that I'll listen to a few times just doesn't appeal that much to me. If the nostalgia itch is too strong, there's always YouTube with more than one version of every song I might want to hear. It ain't super high fidelity but some wine smooths that over...

And it seems like yesterday they just came out with 50th anniversary remake of Tea for the Tillerman.

And some day I will be no longer here & my kids will say, "what the hell do we do with all this stuff?"

i don't have any kids and probably never will have any now but the younger close family members and my partner have a fairly good idea of what and where most of the good stuff is when i snuff it. if any of its worth anything when that happens good luck to them to get whatever they can for it because not only will i not be around to care but man while i was here on Planet Earth i sure as Winelight played the fookin'eck out of it all! it was a total blam blam!! :LOL:

great minds think alike! :LOL: i said much the same thing to Jonathan in a PM tonight re: GnR, i truly believe if some of these box sets including the 5.1 had come out 10-15 years earlier it might've had a bigger impact, instead we got standalone titles with a fair bit of dross, some hidden gems and verging on a handful of stone cold classics in the SACD/DVD-A days and by the time the big SDE style boxes really kicked in DVD-Audio was rapidly becoming a DVD-Dodo.. hindsight's a boon but lets face it it was never gonna hack it was it! ah well, the past ain't what it used to be..
Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be LOL.

Jon, I was thinking the very same thing yesterday when I saw that Teaser was getting the box treatment.

Back