Cats love surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you have speakers that go up until 20 K or 22K then no problem, but if they can play back >22KKz and play an SACD your cay will hightail it ASAP, trust me, the suprasonic noise inherent in the SACD format is like torture for them...

SACD has heavily filtered low pass filters so high frequencies never reach the tweeter.

To Solaris: there is a pet n critters thread here. Post some pics of Tipper!

Last edited:
My cat Turbo curls up in my lap when I listen to chamber music or orchestral as long as there are no cymbal crashes or bass drum whacks. She falls asleep to Debussy. What she has a problem with are movie soundtracks with a lot of discrete sound effects to freak her out. But she has no problem with classical music, even played loud. And it's all on SACD :p

Emma ( since passed ) loved music ...and football. She would come running downstairs to the media room to enjoy and sit there listening / watching the whole time it was on

Turbo likes watching sports too. But we're more into hockey these days than football. She'll watch anything with action on the screen.
IMG_20200926_215626176.jpg

I can't look at these pictures anymore without getting a little misty-eyed. Ivan was an amazing cat, and a wonderful character. Ivan was a Korat and legend has it that Korats will bond very closely with their owners, often completely ignoring other people. Well, Ivan could be social, but our bond was, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot.... something very special. Not many cats like Quad and enjoy cars. You could watch Ivan's ears twitch as the horn section of the Enoch Light Brass section would trot around the room. He would walk on a leash. He would play in water. I wish I had a photo of him in his dapper little purple bandana that he was given during one vet trip. When I lived in Vancouver, and would walk Ivan around my little neighbourhood park with his bandana on .... you could almost hear the panties drop. So many women came rushing to check him out. Yeah, sadly.... him. Not once did I get a phone number. :ROFLMAO:

100_0723.jpg

ivan-in-grem2.JPG

One of my cats is mostly deaf and is very easy to startle because she cant hear you approaching her but when I play very active surround mixes at unsubtle volumes she follows elements of the mix around the room as if trying to stalk an invisible small furry thing.
She also ocassionaly launches herself at my (wall mounted) tv in an effort to capture rodents, birds or the mouse pointer.
In addition to these misfortunes she also has the indignancy to have been named by my son. Hence she is "Mighty Diamond Sword, Destroyer Of Planets" - which is always met with a raised eyebrow at the vets

edit: my other cat, Kitty Purry (that one was named by my daughter - I'm sure you can guess who she's a fan of) once climbed inside my subwoofer - not a mistake that she's repeated

I can't look at these pictures anymore without getting a little misty-eyed. Ivan was an amazing cat, and a wonderful character. Ivan was a Korat and legend has it that Korats will bond very closely with their owners, often completely ignoring other people. Well, Ivan could be social, but our bond was, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot.... something very special. Not many cats like Quad and enjoy cars. You could watch Ivan's ears twitch as the horn section of the Enoch Light Brass section would trot around the room. He would walk on a leash. He would play in water. I wish I had a photo of him in his dapper little purple bandana that he was given during one vet trip. When I lived in Vancouver, and would walk Ivan around my little neighbourhood park with his bandana on .... you could almost hear the panties drop. So many women came rushing to check him out. Yeah, sadly.... him. Not once did I get a phone number. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 66091

View attachment 66092

Ivan is one cool dude !! Sorry for your loss

My cat never noticed surround sound unless I played a record with dogs on it.

And we have to remember that dogs and cats can't see the images in the old NTSC raster scan system. Their vision systems are too fast to fuse the raster into an image. The see a bright line repeatedly moving down the screen.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS

View attachment 66091

View attachment 66092

Ivan had a bro. Emma. Emma was a boy. But my daughter - in her young age - bonded and named him Emma. Emma enjoyed pizza, football and music.
Here is Emma. We miss Emma

emma1.jpg

Sorry for posting a picture of myself. Those who've been affected, there is a hotline you can call and help is available.

This pic says it all. I was watching a movie on my PC, and Ivan had this habit of jumping on the desk to have a visit. But this time, he decided to curl up, put his head to my chest and have a cuddle. It was all I could do to reach with my one free hand to grab my camera.

After the crash of 2008/2009, I had to move back in with my mother. She doesn't exactly like animals in general, but she liked Ivan. We did have this one trick that used to freak people out.... where she'd say "Where's Darrin?" (that's me) and he'd sit down and look puzzled. He had NO idea who this "Darrin" fellow was. But if she'd ask "Where's DAD?" he'd trot off to find me. Little bugger knew me as "Dad" and nothing else. I always say he was that one magical animal we all get in our lives. I just wish our time together hadn't been so short. Here's one of life little serendipitous moments: Ivan died 2 weeks shy of his 5th birthday in 2013. My uncle John (Ivan is, essentially "John" in Russian) died exactly 2 weeks prior to his 65th birthday. He and I were pretty close to.

2013 was a rotten year at our house. It's said Korats bring good luck. Well, I've never had "Good" luck, but he sure held back a world of shit. After his passing, the world fell apart.

Ivan 002.JPG

Back