DVD/DTS Poll Cave, Nick & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus (DTS96/24 Dolby)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Nick Cave & TBS - ABATTOIR BLUES/LYRE OF ORPHEUS

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus (DTS96/24 Dolby) DVD(y)(n)

Attachments

• Abattoir_Blues+The_Lyre_of_Orpheus.jpg
    Abattoir_Blues+The_Lyre_of_Orpheus.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 410
Again, a solid release in this series although for me some of the tracks do sound a little lacking in the surround department so strike one mark for this.
The music on offer is fairly intense stuff - it's a double album too, and interestingly enough you have to revert back to the menu system to get the second part to play - it would have been nicer to me if there was an option to play right through, but hey - it is still a cracking release.
The first track is very reminiscent of the New York Dolls, but with far better & much punchier playing - Cave's vocals are very, very much like David Johannsen on "Looking For A Kiss", but this is not a bad thing to me.

It takes a few plays to get right into this, but i think it is well worth the effort. Mute are getting very good at these releases and should be encouraged to do more by running out & buying them.
Next up - "Dig, Lazarus, Dig".....

I *finally* got around to giving this one a spin today.

First off, it's one of my top Nick Cave albums - I think the writing is pretty solid all the way through, a good mix of the softer moody songs with the brash loud ones. I think it's Nick's last great album and what he's done since (Lazarus and the 2 Grinderman albums) don't come close to what this album offers. From Nature Boy's shameless nod to Harley's Make Me Smile (right down to the ooh la la la's) to the closing chills of O Children, the slightly off kilter Breathless....I could go on.

No, not the most adventurous 5.1 mix but still nicely done.

Solid 9 for me.

Not 96 on my Pioneer either.

Have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this one. I won't criticize someone's mixing abilities, but I will say that their sense of what sounds good and mine vary drastically. It almost sounds like it's not discreet (although it is).

Album - one if my favs, a 10
Sound quality - 7, but that be my crappy player
Mix - 4, and that's generous.
Total - a sad 7 :(

That will be because unless you have a BDP-103/105, they cannot use the full bandwidth DTS & extract just the core audio instead.
DTS9624 not supported on BDP-83/83SE/93/95

Dear Neil Wilkes, Thank you for the Feedback, but I do not think it is accurate- at least not for my BDP-93EU. I just put in the let love in disc from the same series for comparison, and the Player decodes and Displays DTS 96/24 with no problem whatsoever..
So there must be some sort of difference between These two discs.

Last edited:
Most interesting - and I hope you are right. I got my info originally from Oppo, who told me I needed a 103/105 for DTS 9624, but it would seem this is added to the 93/95 as well.
That's cool, and I stand corrected.
There is no mention of DTS 9624 on any of the Oppo sites.....

Most interesting - and I hope you are right. I got my info originally from Oppo, who told me I needed a 103/105 for DTS 9624, but it would seem this is added to the 93/95 as well.
That's cool, and I stand corrected.
There is no mention of DTS 9624 on any of the Oppo sites.....

my CA 651BD (to all intents & purposes a BDP-93) plays DTS 96/24 stuff, like the Bowie-Young Americans 5.1 DVD, nooooo problems! the BDP ID's it as 96/24 and via HDMI my Yammy AVR reports its getting 96/24 DTS :)

my CA 651BD (to all intents & purposes a BDP-93) plays DTS 96/24 stuff, like the Bowie-Young Americans 5.1 DVD, nooooo problems! the BDP ID's it as 96/24 and via HDMI my Yammy AVR reports its getting 96/24 DTS :)

I've an Oppo BDP-83 and this album (along with Nocturama and Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!) shows as DTS standard whereas the the other Bad Seeds sets all show up as DTS 9624. Weird but not a deal-breaker.

As others have pointed out, the surround mix tends to swell the front image around to the rears. There is discrete stuff there but levels wise it runs lower than the fronts. Two killer albums presented like this is no bad thing, the mix sounds right and the more I've listened to it the more I've become aware that they've approached these albums individually to see what works. The lack of DTS 9624 thins and narrows the sound compared to the other discs but only in context to the others. On it's own it sounds rich and stands (and demands) high volume throughout. Musically, they've never sounded tighter and brighter. Everything clicks here and the sweet female backing choir sound like they've always been there. Piano lines roll and pound away with real drive as the percussion spreads out with cymbals decaying into the rears. Non-fans shouldn't struggle to find references to familiar concepts and melodies and it's a low price to pay for two great albums presented in surround in one set. 9.

Abattoir Blues / Lyre don't seem to have been released as CD/DVD in North America.
Can anyone tell me if the DVD is region 0? This is a fave Cave and I'd love to hear it in surround here in Toronto.

Abattoir Blues / Lyre don't seem to have been released as CD/DVD in North America.
Can anyone tell me if the DVD is region 0? This is a fave Cave and I'd love to hear it in surround here in Toronto.

My copy is the E.U. release and the DVD is NTSC Region 0...I think all the DVD's in the reissue sees were done this way.

Back