DVD/DTS Poll Cave, Nick & The Bad Seeds - Let Love In (DTS96/24 Dolby)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Nick Cave & TBS - LET LOVE IN

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Conten

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Let Love In (DTS96/24 Dolby) DVD(y)(n)

Attachments

• nick cave let love in.jpg
    nick cave let love in.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 529
I'm going to assume that a lot of pepole have never bougth a NC album. My apologies to the die-hards. This is my first time listening to NC. That voice is one of the best. It just makes you sit in your chair and listen. Yeah, worth the price of admisssion right there. The album is good, there's a couple of tracks I don't care for but no big deal. The 5.1 format, like always, should have been high-res. I mean you notice the difference, right? - Easily. The mix is good enough, the rears are put to good use - not ambient. I thought the levels for the center were a bit uneven - and the rears too - I found I was adjusting them now and again. But where in the heck was the LFE channel on the opening track? I had to crank my sub to the max to get a flutter of bass. Oh well, it picked up later. Overall? am I glad I bought it - Yes, very much so. Just to hear that voice. Because of level and bass issues I give it an 8.

I bought this one for my wife - she's Australian and very familiar with Nick Cave. She actually sat in the sweet spot and listened all the way through. She hasn't done that outside a car in years, so it must be pretty good. From what I overheard the sound quality seemed quite good, but the mix is on the tame side. I'll have to kick her out of the sweet spot and listen before voting. A good buy... she didn't even notice the MXR dyna comp that came in the box with it that was quickly slipped into a drawer ;)

Got around to this one this evening. we played in the large family room, which is not an ideal environment as it tends to echo across the wall somewhat...but it's a good test for a lot of discs............

One of my fave Cave discs, and the mix philosophy is a lot like the others - place the stuff around the room and don't worry about moving it around much, let it all breathe. And I think this works really well with the Bad Seeds stuff - having the backing vox and some other stuff in the rears gives the 6 piece band some room to hear stuff that was not so evident on the original mixes. On most tracks the mix is outstanding, like Let Love In, Nobody's Baby and especially Red Right Hand.

I give this one an 8 overall though as on a few tracks (the louder aggressive ones like Janglin' Jack and to a certain extent Loverman) the lead vocals get a bit lost in the noise.

Bought this disc a couple of weeks ago on vacation in Houston, TX.
On a first listen to this entire disc, I was really torn between how I should vote for this particular disc.
Some songs have a very discrete and lovely surround mix while others come up short and fall in the "big stereo" category.
But I ended up going with a '9'. Why? I really don't know. I'm still trying to really understand what Nick Cave is all about, so if I can find anymore of his discs in stores, I will continue to buy so I can see if any other albums really stand out for me.

Music: 9
Mix:6.5
Sonics: 8

This is an excellent album. Cave is one of the few artists who is still relevant that has quite unexpectantly remixed his catalog in 5.1. Naturally, nobody on this forum noticed. For the uninitiated this album would possibly appeal to those looking for an arcane version of Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, or Lee Hazlewood. This album seems impressionistically linked with PJ Harvey's Too Bring You My Love.

Lots of great video and extra tracks on these discs. Too bad they're going out of print.

Bought this disc a couple of weeks ago on vacation in Houston, TX.
On a first listen to this entire disc, I was really torn between how I should vote for this particular disc.
Some songs have a very discrete and lovely surround mix while others come up short and fall in the "big stereo" category.
But I ended up going with a '9'. Why? I really don't know. I'm still trying to really understand what Nick Cave is all about, so if I can find anymore of his discs in stores, I will continue to buy so I can see if any other albums really stand out for me.

I suspect (but am not positive) that some tracks have been pseudo-surrounded due to lost/missing/unusable multitracks.
It's a problem that is not going to go away either, as so many were "rented by the session" due to the high costs of 2" reels.

If you want to check out any of the NC titles, I have them all - feel free to arrange a listening session

Back