CBS/Sony Japan Quad Reels (info/list)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Once again, like the King, Trio and Toshiba-EMI threads I started, I'm just collating all the info about these together in the hopes that it might bring some more info or previously unknown titles out of the woodwork.

It seems like all of these titles were created specifically for quad reel release - we can only surmise that CBS/Sony didn't want to release any of their SQ pop or classical titles on a discrete open-reel format because it would show up how bad SQ decoding was.

Pop Titles
SOTF-42501J - Jack Dejohnette 'Papa Daddy' (Live at Toshi Center Hall, Akasaka, Tokyo, Japan 4/7/1970)
SOTF-42502J - Toru Arima and Noche Cubana / Nobuo Hara and Sharps & Flats 'Battle Of The Top Jazz Orchestras'

Classical Titles
SOTF-42001J - Chopin 'Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11' (Rowicki/Warszawa Philharmonic Orchestra, Hiroko Nakamura, Piano)
SOTF-42002J - Vivaldi 'The Four Seasons' (The NHK String Ensemble, Yoshio Unno, Violin Solo)

(SOTF-42501J Jack Dejohnette 'Papa Daddy' box and tape)
sotf42501j-qr-1.jpg
sotf42501j-qr-2.jpg

(SOTF-42502J 'Battle Of The Top Jazz Orchestras' Box and tape)
sotf42502j-qr-1.jpg
sotf42502j-qr-2.jpg

(SOTF-42001J - Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11 Box and reel)
sotf42001j-qr-1.jpg
sotf42001j-qr-2.jpg

(SOTF-42002J - Vivaldi 'The Four Seasons' various pictures)
sotf42002j-QR-1.jpg

sotf42002j-QR-3.jpg

sotf42002j-QR-4.jpg

sotf42002j-QR-7.jpg

sotf42002j-QR-8.jpg

sotf42002j-QR-9.jpg

Once again, like the King, Trio and Toshiba-EMI threads I started, I'm just collating all the info about these together in the hopes that it might bring some more info or previously unknown titles out of the woodwork.

It seems like all of these titles were created specifically for quad reel release - we can only surmise that CBS/Sony didn't want to release any of their SQ pop or classical titles on a discrete open-reel format because it would show up how bad SQ decoding was.

Pop Titles
SOTF-42501J - Jack Dejohnette 'Papa Daddy' (Live at Toshi Center Hall, Akasaka, Tokyo, Japan 4/7/1970)
SOTF-42502J - Toru Arima and Noche Cubana / Nobuo Hara and Sharps & Flats 'Battle Of The Top Jazz Orchestras'

Classical Titles
SOTF-42001J - Chopin 'Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11' (Rowicki/Warszawa Philharmonic Orchestra, Hiroko Nakamura, Piano)
SOTF-42002J - Vivaldi 'The Four Seasons' (The NHK String Ensemble, Yoshio Unno, Violin Solo)

(SOTF-42501J Jack Dejohnette 'Papa Daddy' box
I would expect that if they were to issue any pop / rock on Q4 reel format, they would use discreet tapes just like the Q8s CBS released in the US, and not SQ on rtr. Did they issue some tapes in SQ?

Btw, do all Japanese CBS reels run at 7 1/2ips?

Pop Titles

Classical Titles

(SOTF-42501J Jack Dejohnette 'Papa Daddy' box and tape)
View attachment 33026View attachment 33027

(SOTF-42502J 'Battle Of The Top Jazz Orchestras' Box and tape)
View attachment 33028View attachment 33029
Thank you SteelyDave for this post with all the excellent images. In my search for "Battle Of Top Jazz Orchestras", there is nothing on Discogs, or browser search. I would like to find out who did the quadraphonic mix. You may have more information than anyone else on the web. Not listed in the track listing, at the very end of the tape, one will find a Japaneses Channel Test--which makes me smile for some reason. Here is the only image I can add...

Battle Of Top Jazz Orchestras.png

I have no idea how I'm going to enter this information into metadata. LOL! I was drawn to this after watching Whiplash. ;) Have you or will you create a digital rip from these rare QR tapes? Are these recordings considered Public Domain? Of course, now I'm interested in listening to the other boxed QR tapes shown, however, I'm unable to find any FLAC files available.

Last edited:
Back