CCR Gold CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is actually on the rare side. Not that the delivery truck really skidded off the road with the entire run of them.

I think this album is the best Proud Mary ever sounded in stereo (or mono).

I don't think I would ever sell a rare album on eBay these days. No matter what that poor guy writes in his description, all the buyer has to do is return a stereo LP back to the seller and tell eBay/PayPal that it was "not as described" or broken/warped/damaged, etc. The thieving scum that do this know what to do and how to do it.

It's one thing to protect the buyer from crooked sellers, but there has to be a middle ground.

That being said, this LP (and Q8) always skew high, but the odd thing is that I don't recall either one of them being that hard to find in 1975 or so.

I bought mine a while back at a record show for less than ten dollars (Canadian). One side is very noisy though, even though the vinyl looks nice and shiny.

Jon is absolutely right not to sell valuable titles on eBay. I got burned for a very rare SACD that way. PayPal does NOTHING to protect sellers.

Man, I must be getting old. I don't remember what I paid for mine. But, I've always been kinda poor, so it shouldn't have been much.
Mine was filthy when I got it (plus somebody had taped down all the noses on the cover) so I rarely played it. Since I've bought my Spin Clean Record bath (God, this is starting to sound like an infomercial) it's had a couple baths and it plays more or less like what you'd expect from a 50-year-old LP. A few crackles and pops but nothing serious. Even demodulates nicely.

To be brutally honest, I don't think it's worth that. You could run the stereo tracks through any kind of spatial decoder type box and get better separation. This is sadly not the end-all, be-all album of Quad existence. But then again, I'm sure if it was Gonads-to-the-wall, hard-chargin' four corner discrete, I'd probably complain about that, too.

To be brutally honest, I don't think it's worth that. You could run the stereo tracks through any kind of spatial decoder type box and get better separation.
This is the least album in the world that you would be able to do this with. The stereo Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising are virtually mono. If you OOPS them, the only thing not in mono is a faint rhythm guitar. Spatializing these tracks will get you nothing. The quad LP, however, has full separation on both tracks, in quad OR stereo.

To be brutally honest.

IMO, one would be better off investing in this extraordinary DVD with discrete, but excellent, DD 5.1 sonics. Fogerty was and is CCR and this extremely enthusiastic performance captures Fogerty in superb voice backed by crackerjack musicians:

51GEW7H1HNL.jpg

Last edited:
I am glad the LP never caught my attention when my wallet wasn't on a strict diet. The Quad8 was in my first batch of 5 tapes from a local dealer (records, not drug😃) for about 20 canuck bux. About 15 real bux. Now I forget the others but they weren't crap either. Oh, Yusuf's Greatest was another. I think I crapped myself and did an Ikea commercial after paying. The one where the wife yells start the car!!!

My CD-4 copy of this album was found for $3.99 or $4.99 tops in the used bin in late 80s. Some ticks here and there, and a pop or two made me feel like I got what I paid for. Not a real prized LP other than the cover on mine is NM and I do like the design.

Flash forward two decades and the arrival of 24/96kHz home recording, and the arrival of Click Repair (brand) software that does not harm the musical content, and this album is prime needle drop material for demo quality sound of CCR tracks. It’s been in my To-Do stack for months, and so thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
What cracks me up is that the seller gives strong warning that the vinyl is nowhere near mint, that if you want that, forget this - but wants $165 for it! Gimme a break.

Back