CD-4 Advice, Please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrahrah

I got an Audio Technica cartridge and stylus set up from Ed Saunders. Things are a bit temperamental.

I adjusted the separation and carrier levels of my QRX 7001 with the help of a Sylvania CD-4 set up demo record and form what I've been reading here. The records I noticed, each have their own characteristics. But here is what my particular problem seems to be.

OK, don't chuckle. My turnatable is a Craig 5001, belt drive with an "S" shaped tone arm. The records play fine at the beginning but the CD-4 light starts to flicker at past mid-point in play. If I increase the carrier level it helps but also hinders in that it adds distortion and splatter in the vocals, especially in the "s" sounds.

Is there one turntable that tends to work better than others? I'm tending to believe the problem may be in my behemoth, yet old faithful Craig. Perhaps I need an alignment tool?

Before I guess too much, I'll await feedback from my learned colleagues. Thanks, Murph

I downloaded the protractor and I believe I used it correctly. I'm still experiencing the same problem with the signal being lost as the record progresses. Initially the sound is true discrete. I played Roberta Flack live and contrary to what I've read about it, thought it had some real pleasant moments-at the beginning in my case.

I've got my eye on a MITSUBISHI LT-22 LINEAR TRACKING Turntable, mimicking a post of equipment that works. I do tend to believe that it is in the turntable itself where my problems are.

Do you see this as a good move?

Yes! The Mitsubishi LT-22 is a wonderful table in its own right and does a spectacular job with CD-4.

However, even though you are using a table with an s-shaped arm, you should still not lose carrier half-way through a record. I'm guessing it is a combination of the arm and the cartridge. The stylus shape is probably "marginal" for CD-4, meaning, yeah, it will work, but it's tracking properties ain't quite up to snuff. A linear tracking table will solve your problem, but you're probably still not going to get as good of performance as you could with a better stylus/cartridge.

Are you familiar with the cartridge/stylus set up I have (Ed Saunders)? What would you reccomend that is available?

No, I am not familiar with your setup.

To be honest, I have no clue what is currently available that will work for CD-4 outside of what I am using myself. With that said, I happen to know that a Lyra Helikon SL through a Shelter MC step-up transformer works great!

Thanks Cai. I've been going back and forth with it and I'm finding that my problem seems to be in the tracking.

When I increased the weight, it eliminated the splattering "s" sound. I also found that inherently my tracking gets lighter as the tone arm travels towards the center.

I missed the end of the Marantz turntable but keeping my eye out for a linear that will accept my current tone arm head.

Thanks again!

The setup I use consists of an H H Scott straight arm turntable with the Ed Saunders cartridge. I'm running it through a N.O.S. JVC 4DD5 demodulator. The turntable tracks at exactly 1.5 gms. I'm getting flawless CD-4 sound, perfect 4 way separation with super high fidelity. There's an HH Scott linear turntable on eBay right now that needs work, but it's only a dollar. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...gory=14987 I was using a Pioneer S arm turntable at first, and had the problem where the carrier light went out halfway through the lp. For CD-4 it pays to have a very precise turntable, the watchword is upgrade. The nature of CD-4 requires high quality equipment to appreciate it.

I also run a JVC 4DD5. I use a Marantz 6300 turntable with an Audio Technica Trackmaster 8 cartridge. It is equivalent to the AT331LP. I tried the Ed Saunders cart, and while it did play CD-4 records, it's performance was not up to snuff with the Trackmaster 8. However, this might not be the main part of your problem. Try tracking your cart at closer to two grams and see how that does. I find my cart requires the extra weight to track properly. Note that this is not enough to harm the records.

The Quadfather

"Turntable Adjustment for Dummies"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:rollin:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My suggestion that linear tracking tables are the best for CD-4 is not a blanket endorsement for all linear tracking tables out there. There are a LOT of cheap, crappy linear tracking decks floating around, so be careful! Avoid anything with a plastic tonearm or "close and play" operation.

Out of all the Technics linear tracking decks, the two best models are SL-7 and SL-10. Both have a solid, heavy die cast chassis and feature the same high quality "rotor platter" DD motor as the famous SL-1210.

SL-10 is even switchable between moving magnet and moving coil, and since it has phono sockets at the rear, you can use your own patch cords (ideal for CD-4 !!!)

I have an SL-7 with an AT331LP cart, with it I reach CD-4 nirvana without a single hitch!

Look out for them on E-bay.............. :D

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>and since it has phono sockets at the rear, you can use your own patch cords (ideal for CD-4 !!!)[/quote]
Where do you get the cd-4 cables though?
Rob

Well obviously you'd have to make up your own. I'm sure the low capacitance cable is still available. There's a minefield of quality screened audio cable in (UK) catalogues like RS, Farnell, CPC, etc. I suspect you have similar catalogues in ths US.

Like Shibata evolved into Line Contact, it's probably called something completely different to what it was in the 70's.

:cool:

Wow! I was out of town for a few days. I went to see the Phillies in Clearwater for spring training - it was a first.

I played around a bit more and even though heavier tracking does help, I still believe a good linear turntable is in order.

Thanks for all the additional help.

Back