CD-4 demodulator questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I have a Sansui QRX-7001 with a built-in CD-4 demodulator. When I try to set it up using the test tone record, I can't seem to get the carrier level right. If I turn the adjustment knob all the way to the left, sure, I can tell the level isn't correct. But when I turn it a little to the right, it clears up. But then I can keep turning it all the way to the right and it stays about the same. Does it matter? (I know some demodulators don't have a carrier level adjustment.)

Also, I've noticed that I can also adjust the right front/rear separation with no issues. (It's pretty awesome, actually.) But the left front/rear separation is not so good. Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks for your help!
--------------
BTW, check out my new Facebook group for "old school" quad.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475618800025161/

Sounds more like you need to align your cartridge. I had similar issues with my setup where the right side demodulates fine, but the left side was splatty. Once I obtained a GeoDisc, I was in CD-4 Nirvana.

Yes, THE two most important aspects of CD-4, other than having a working demodulator, of course, are making sure the ultra sonic signals are not lost between the turntable and demodulator via low capacitance cables and getting cartridge tracking just right.

Doug

Back