CD-4: Distorted Right CH. Worn LP?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macdude

I’m assuming this would indicate a worn out groove wall? Other records play much better. Anti Skate has little to no effect.

LP is Carly Simon - No Secrets. Cart is both an AT8008 and an AT-12S. Tried two turntables, switched leads L to R. Followed turntable. I think I’ve ruled most else out. :)

It's not as noticeable, but yes. In which case I'm assuming its a worn LP due to improper anti-skate settings, perhaps?

I have another Quadradisc, Average White Band, during the loud solo passage on "Pick Up the Pieces", the left channel breaks up terribly, in 4CH more than stereo. I've heard a lot of record wear in my time, but never in only one channel like this. I'm wondering if I've got a dirty connection somewhere in the headshell that's causing the demodulator to act up. I've noticed that any buzzing from the cartridge will cause a notable whisting/whizzing sound and light the pilot on the demod.

while no two discs are the same and there are so many setup variables its hard to say exactly what might be causing it on your rig and it has been a while since i fiddled with that specific disc but fwiw only one of my carts got thru that track with the demodulator set to maximum separation without breaking up and that was the AT440MLb, all the others splattered at that point to some degree (the others being a JVC 4MD-10X, Denon DL-110 & AT15s) unless i backed off on the separation and for me doing that kinda defeated the point of CD-4 a bit!

That's good to know. Could even be the aftermarket stylus on my AT-12Sa.

oh yes, it might be the stylus on your AT-12Sa. the stylus on my AT15s was described as 'barely used' when i bought it and it worked well on a number of CD-4 discs and was rather nice with matrix-encoded LPs, a warmer sound than the 440 i would say but it tripped up big time with several CD-4 discs which the AT440MLb handled no problem, including when the solo blasted out in "Pick Up The Pieces" and again the AT15S went batshit during "Work To Do".. with the 440 it was "work, work, yeahhh" with the 15S it was more "splat! splat! noooo!!" :ROFLMAO:

oh yes, it might be the stylus on your AT-12Sa. the stylus on my AT15s was described as 'barely used' when i bought it and it worked well on a number of CD-4 discs and was rather nice with matrix-encoded LPs, a warmer sound than the 440 i would say but it tripped up big time with several CD-4 discs which the AT440MLb handled no problem, including when the solo blasted out in "Pick Up The Pieces" and again the AT15S went batshit during "Work To Do".. with the 440 it was "work, work, yeahhh" with the 15S it was more "splat! splat! noooo!!" :ROFLMAO:

Bahaha. For me it's like "Hey, check out the awesome quad mix on this LP..." "Hey, that's pretty nice-" Sax blares SSHHHHHKREEEETCCHHH KKKKKRACCCKLE HOOOONKKKK SQUALLKK

Back