• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

CD-4 in Hi-Fi World mag

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

surroundophile

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003

Sonik Wiz

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter

kfbkfb

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
From the Hi-Fi World Opinion Piece on Page 71:
Hardware CD-4 Decoder: probably either a JVC 4DD-5 or Pioneer QX-949
Software CD-4 Decoder: Pspatial Audio HQ/Classic
Turntable: Technics SL1200 MkIII
Cartridge: Audio-Technica AT-440MLb

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:

The Quadfather

Since 2002/2003
^^^ (been told link may not work)
"What I heard is as good as, if not better, than vintage hardware decoders - which rely on obsolete and now-unobtainable chips."

Kirk Bayne
There was a Technics receiver that had a CD-4 demodulator made entirely of discrete components. No chips at all. I have one, but have never tested it, because I have a fine working JVC 4DD5. I bought the capacitors to recap it, but never got around to it. Since, the caps have been used for other purposes. I don't recall the model number, and I would have to drag it out to copy it. But at least there exists a CD-4 demodulator that doesn't require any chips at all. Now, filters? That's another matter.

Group builder