CD-4 into Sony SQD2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All,
I'm pretty new to this , but I wondered if anyone could answer the following:
I have a Sony SQD2020 and am using it between a Quad 34 Preamp and two 909 Poweramps. I also want to have the option of CD-4 and wondered if the 'discrete' input on the 2020 would accept the output from a standalone CD-4 demodulator? I don't really want to go down the road of a complete seperate amplifier / reciever.
Also, from a performance point of view - if the above is possible - which of the follwoing would be recommended?
Panasonic SE405
Technics TH400
Maranz CD400B
Many thanks for your time
Joe

That's how I have mine hooked up. JVC 4DD-5 outputs into discrete inputs of the SQD 2020. The four channel outputs of the SQD 2020 into two Pioneer SA 7700s.

Brilliant thanks very much, I was hoping it was that simple. Do you leave it set up as if you're playing SQ ( levels ) or do you change anything?
Cheers
Joe

I have a rather complicated (mixed up) system. The back side looks like someone spilled a bowl of spaghetti back there. I use the SQD 2020 as the main brain and two Sony SB 300 switch boxes to control where each signal goes. SQ, CD 4, Discrete and stereo. Sooo...Yes. I am pushing buttons and flicking switches all the time. Not to mention that I have to re-arrange some connections (RCA) to shift from SQ/Stereo to CD 4 due to the fact that I also have two KLH TNE 7000A s in my system to remove pop, snap and krackles from the records as they are being recorded.

Last edited:
Great thank you, the main thing is its 'do-able'. I managed to get hold of a JVC 4MD 20X which is on its way, so I'll look out for a CD-4 demodulator and see how I get on.
Thanks again for your help.
Joe

Actually, the easiest way to have both CD-4 and matrix is to run the turntable output into the CD-4 demodulator which will automatically switch between regular stereo and quad. Then you can just put the matrix decoder into the usual tape loop on the amp/receiver and select other sources from there.

I used to have my setup with more complexity because I didn't want to run the turntable output through the demodulator unless I was using CD-4 but it works fine this way.

Doug

"....which will automatically switch between regular stereo and quad." Aah Doug. What demodulator do you have that will automatically switch? I have two demodulators and neither one will do it on their own. I must turn a switch on the demodulator to accomplish this.

Hmm, I have a Panasonic SE-405 and a Technics SH-400 and they both automatically switch into or out of quad depending on the presence of the carrier.

I guess I thought most of them were that way.

However, even with having to switch into or out of quad manually, you can sill connect them that way - TT out into the demodulator and matrix decoder in the tape loop.

Doug

I am using a JVC 4DD-5 and it has a switch on the front to direct the signal either CD 4 or Stereo. My Dual 721 is connected to the 4DD-5. SQ signals go directly through the demodulator then to the SQD 2020....

I do have a SE-405 that I have in storage. Maybe I should look at it again...Maybe.

my jvc 4dd10 demodulator makes a mess out of non-cd4s unless the 2ch button is pressed, but my internal kenwood demodulator does not do this at all, which has led me to discover that the kenwood receiver will pre-out the rear channels of the internal matrix decoder if you also have cd4 selected. I tested it with the project3 Sq test record and it decoded accurately, even through the cd4 stage, although the volume is affected by the seperation pots, it will allow viewing the output of the matrix decoder through a scope without line output converters(once I fix my scope, that is).

Wait, I may reconsider how I'm doing it. If the demodulator front outputs are fed into the decoder discrete inputs, you can get away with using just the monitor input and not a separate one for the demodulator, right?

The way I used to do it was to have separate inputs for both the demodulator and decoder as my Heathkit AA-29 amps have 2 aux. inputs so I didn't have to worry about running out of inputs but it was a bit complex. I am now using my Heathkit AA-2010 quad amp as the "control center" which has only one aux. input so things are simplified but more restrictive.

I may eventually connect things the way they were but my cabinet I had everything in isn't here yet and with the arrangement now, there isn't enough room for it all the way it is.

Doug

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my Marantz CD-400B in Auto mode switches to "double stereo" when playing a stereo (or mono - "quad mono"?) record. In 2-CH mode the rear channel signals are turned off.

I have found that as I have many noisy mono and stereo records that leaving the Demogitator in CD4 and doing internal switching causes strange artifacts if I play old singles on coarse vinyl or 78s and sound sheets, etc. Want some real fun, check out the ultrasonic crap in the varnished grooves of an Edison Diamond Disc!😆

I have found that as I have many noisy mono and stereo records that leaving the Demogitator in CD4 and doing internal switching causes strange artifacts if I play old singles on coarse vinyl or 78s and sound sheets, etc. Want some real fun, check out the ultrasonic crap in the varnished grooves of an Edison Diamond Disc!😆

Do they say, "Ha ha, I invented the light bulb before those other guys!"? Or, how about "Cranberry sauce."?

:D

Doug

OK, I tried it the other way by feeding the demodulator outputs into the Sony SQ decoder discrete inputs and it worked but I switched it back because I could tell the fidelity was degraded. Whether it's a shortcoming in the SQD-2050, I don't know but I'm going to leave as is for now. It's a bit odd because the SQD-2050 sounds fantastic playing SQ records.

Eventually, I plan on hooking it all up like I used to have it with the demodulator and decoder completely independent of one another but this way, fidelity-wise, works great.

Doug

I run the front and back channels from the JVC 4DD-5 to two KLH TNE 7000As then to the discrete inputs of the SQD 2020 with no loss of fidelity.

The biggest issues I get with my Squid2020 is the switches and solder joints tend to fail. When they work they are good, when they start to fail mechamically they really go downhill fast. No slight wiggling of switches to get the sound right again.

Back