CD-4 Test Pressings of "Switched on Bach" and "Clockwork Orange"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shine the flash from your phone onto the vynil, if you see colorful rainbow(like my profile pic, except not quite as bright) it probably cd-4.
Also, CD-4s squeal when you apply enough pressure with the discwasher while cleaning.
Another way to tell is to put the stylus down on the record within a track, then rotate the turntable slowly by hand. If you hear a tone as you do that, it's CD-4.

I'd be careful about dropping a needle on one of the tracks and creating a pop. I probably wouldn't even try to play it unless I had a good arm, cartridge, and Shibata or similar stylus. The high frequency carrier on CD-4 discs are rather easily damaged by poor equipment.
This may be the only one ever pressed, and unless you know where the master stampers or the original master tapes are, I could be almost irreplaceable! As in $$$$$$$$$$

Hello everyone. I have been doing a lot of research on the CD4 Quadraphonic Test Pressing by Walter Carlos that includes Clockwork Orange and Twisted on Bach. This article along with the link seems to be the only 2 things I find. I believe that I may have one of these rare albums. There was a man that passed away that way in the film and video industry and worked for RCA. At his estate sale his family was there along with tons of work things he had patented and invented. His record collection was a very nice big collection of mostly all classical music with endless quadraphonic albums. One of the albums I was lucky enough to purchase a few test pressings and one was a blank test pressing of Walter Carlos with Clockwork Orange on one side and Twisted on Bach on the other. I am looking for any kind of help or direction to verify what I have may be that or if it is a different kind of test pressing that has never reached the surface. I am a record collector and dealer but I have no way of checking this album to see if it is CD4 Quad in my possession. I do not want to put it into an auction without a buyer knowing that what they purchased is exactly what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching pictures of what I have to see if anyone has ever even seen anything like it or any information. I have attached pictures of the matrix runout as well. View attachment 64982View attachment 64983View attachment 64984View attachment 64985View attachment 64986
Haha etc. Your note about ""Twisted on Bach" lead me to find this:

https://www.popmatters.com/cooper-alice-031027-2496086748.html

See now this is the sort of thing that if someone posted it on EBay I would have poo poo'd as a complete ripoff attempt, and yet here we have confirmation of the real deal, it seems. Mayne I should be less cynical. Nah...

Back