CD-4 Title(s) - Worldwide Releases - Cutting Levels

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Some USA mastered CD-4 titles have a very high baseband cutting level such that it disrupts decoding of the FM difference signal.

I was wondering if (worldwide versions) of the same CD-4 title (remastered for different areas of the world) had comparable baseband cutting levels, or if the non-USA remasterings were cut at a lower baseband level, thereby allowing undistorted decoding?

Kirk Bayne

Some of the (USA) CD-4 Arista titles (Godspell, Barry Manilow) are said to be difficult to decode due to high baseband levels and of course the (USA) CD-4 A&M Cat Stevens Greatest Hits is known to be difficult.

I don't know if any of these titles were released in Japan (with new CD-4 masters) or not.

Kirk Bayne

Not for all three.
Other than W-P stuff, the only one that comes to mind is Creedence Gold. From discogs infos seems the two releases are different.

there's another FPM label Japanese CD-4 release i've seen around, BlackByrds "Flying Start", no idea how it differs from the domestic U.S. pressing, if at all

Back