CD-4 (title) saves the day

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Some classical quadraphonic recordings of the period followed their pop counterparts and placed the listener at the centre of the ensemble - a rather silly effect."

haha.. who wrote this load of old cobblers!? 😝

(and besides, its Mahler's 3rd racket! 🤣 )

"Some classical quadraphonic recordings of the period followed their pop counterparts and placed the listener at the centre of the ensemble - a rather silly effect."

I've never understood that logic. It's right up there with "You've only got two ears!!"

Why place a person in the center of a pop ensemble?? BECAUSE YOU CAN!!
I mean really.... who wouldn't want to literally sit in with their favorite group? It's like virtual reality for your ears!

I've never understood that logic. It's right up there with "You've only got two ears!!"

Why place a person in the center of a pop ensemble?? BECAUSE YOU CAN!!
I mean really.... who wouldn't want to literally sit in with their favorite group? It's like virtual reality for your ears!

Dang--you got me all excited, @Q-Eight: I thought maybe the Horenstein Mahler 3d was just such a "silly" recording. Had to read all the way through to the end to learn it's just the opposite...

Dang--you got me all excited, @Q-Eight: I thought maybe the Horenstein Mahler 3d was just such a "silly" recording. Had to read all the way through to the end to learn it's just the opposite...

you'd think that people would've had enough
of silly quad songs..

..but i look around QQ and see it isn't so,
oh no!

some people want to fill the world with silly quad songs..

..and what's wrong with that?
i'd like to know!

so here Quad goes...

again!!!!

:51QQ

T
you'd think that people would've had enough
of silly quad songs..

..but i look around QQ and see it isn't so,
oh no!

some people want to fill the world with silly quad songs..

..and what's wrong with that?
i'd like to know!

so here Quad goes...

again!!!!

:51QQ
There's MY earworm of the day. At least it might offset hearing aboot electric boobs in a mohair suit for a while.

I don't know much about Classical Music buyers (nearly all of my classical music
purchases were/are of Audio/Surround Demo material).

Over the decades, I've read that Classical Music buyers want the recorded music
presented as Music in the Front channels, Ambience in the Surround channels.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1973-08.pdf#page=69^^^
Sony felt the need to remix/upmix the MCH SACD of this "Concerto for Orchestra"
recording (originally recorded to place the listener IN the Orchestra) in a more
traditional Music/Front with Ambience/Surround.

Obviously, with the multiple soundtrack option on DVDs and Blu-rays, Classical
Recordings (of the same live performance) could be recorded 2 ways -
1) Traditional Music/Front Ambience/Surround.
2) Place the listener IN the Orchestra (just need additional microphones over
the Orchestra and some additional mixing time).

I've never heard of any plans to record Classical Music this way though.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1973-08.pdf#page=69^^^
Sony felt the need to remix/upmix the MCH SACD of "Concerto for Orchestra"
recording (originally recorded to place the listener IN the Orchestra) in a more

That's a really great review. And instructive--not least because it shows that the tired debates that somehow still roil the classical crowd with regard to discrete vs. ambient (with the pro-ambience crowd appealing to what's "natural" or "how the composer intended a piece to be heard") extend not just back to the dawn of the quad age but well before. My favorite passage:

For some twenty-five years Leopold Stokowski has been speaking against the concept of "concert-hall realism" in records, arguing that the electronic reproduction of sound should be liberated from audience-performer relationships that reflect the architectural features of concert rooms built long before recording became a serious medium for musical communication.

One must face, therefore, the aesthetic question whether or not to accept a perspective on the orchestra from a stage position few would ever occupy in a live performance. It does not bother me in the least. Indeed, I enjoy it. I am convinced, moreover, that only by the imaginative use of four channels in recordings of this type is the potential of the new medium to be made clear to the public at large.

Yes, there could even be an OTT mix with the brass instruments circling clockwise
and the string instruments circling counterclockwise and singers zig zagging thru
the soundfield (maybe for new owners of Surround Sound audio systems). ;)

Kirk Bayne

I don't know much about Classical Music buyers (nearly all of my classical music
purchases were/are of Audio/Surround Demo material).

Sony felt the need to remix/upmix the MCH SACD of this "Concerto for Orchestra"

Obviously, with the multiple soundtrack option on DVDs and Blu-rays, Classical
Recordings (of the same live performance) could be recorded 2 ways -
1) Traditional Music/Front Ambience/Surround.
2) Place the listener IN the Orchestra (just need additional microphones over
the Orchestra and some additional mixing time).

I've never heard of any plans to record Classical Music this way though.

Kirk Bayne
Have you never heard of AIX record's DVDs & Bluerays?

Look here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?forums/aix-records.94/

Back