CD-4 Turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
CD-4 turntables as I recall used low capacitance wiring inside the tonearm as well! They had anti-skate settings for shibata as well as elliptical and conical stylus. Some like the one pictured had a built in CD-4 demodulator. I haven't seen any for sale in awhile, but then again I haven't been looking.

The only real difference between a regular TT and a CD-4 TT is the low capacitance wiring. The "specific" anti-skate setting was more a marketing gimmick than anything else because you have to adjust the anti-skate to work instead of just setting it to a fixed adjustment.

But yes, the subject TT has a built-in demodulator, which would be a Panasonic or Technics and outputs to go to line inputs on amps/receivers.

The actual TT plopped on top there is just a regular BSR with, probably, low capacitance wiring to the internal demodulator.

Doug

Could mean it isn't repairable if the circuitry is damaged or it may just need some internal connectors cleaned and/or retightened.

(for ~$63, it might be worth it to buy it just see what can be done, since it's a complete system, all of the CD-4 alignments are already correct)

Kirk Bayne

The SH-400 demodulator is very good. Of course, you don't get the beauty of the stand alone unit. :D

It uses Lou Dorren's chips and if one of them were to be the cause of the missing channel, finding a replacement might be a real bearcat. However, to me, it's unlikely that is the cause- for just one channel to be missing on account of one of those chips.

It's inexpensive enough but it does depend on your skills as a troubleshooter. Of course, it may be a very simple problem.

Myself, I would rather have stand alone components (which I do have).

Doug

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...0s/1973/Radio-Electronics-1973-10.pdf#page=31^^^
Setting up for CD-4 records

The tonearm needs low capacitance wiring (turntable makers rarely mention this now) to work for CD-4, JVC and Panasonic made turntables w/built in CD-4 demodulators.

(the manual for my Akai turntable [purchased in 1982-06] does say the tonearm wiring is suitable for CD-4)

Kirk Bayne
I have two turntables, a Marantz 6300 and a Thorens TD165. Are either of these capable of workin with a CD4 Demodulator and quad cartridge? Are either wired with low capacitance wires?

I don't know, IIRC, CD-4 needs no more than 100pF (from the phono cartridge to the CD-4 demodulator input).

Amazon sells capacitance meters [one was ~$26] (I haven't used one), new phono cables from the turntable to the demodulator can be used to reduce the total capacitance, but I've never heard of putting new wires inside the tonearm.

Kirk Bayne

Back