CD to CD Copy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The56Kid

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I’m sure this one’s an easy question for most QQ members, but what’s the best was to copy a CD to a blank CD without compression in order to yield a 100% exact copy? I have a Windows 10 PC and have Windows Media Player, VLC, and ImgBurn loaded. Thanks!

I use iTunes to rip Apple lossless then burn 44.1 KHz 16 bit CD.
You can also make playlists and burn them to CD.
I USED TO..until Apple discontinued support for ipods (I know, nothing to do but, that was not cool my ipods are still working fine!)

For Mac there is also XLD, which works perfectly for Audio ripping...

I'd simply get a Dual CD Tray CD-R machine and forego the PC. They've been around since the late 1990's. Takes 2 minutes to copy a disc.

The problem with those is that it's more difficult to reliably get a clean CD read than you might think. Something like Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp will give you a lot more information about what it found.

I used to do a lot of live music trading until I just got too tired of getting junk from people who took shortcuts.

The problem with those is that it's more difficult to reliably get a clean CD read than you might think. Something like Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp will give you a lot more information about what it found.

I used to do a lot of live music trading until I just got too tired of getting junk from people who took shortcuts.
That's true, I've got a Philips dual CD-RW deck and it can be a little finicky (haven't used it in years!)

Never had too many problems on the thousands of copies I have made using either Harmon Kardon burners or Stand alones. No idea what "shortcut" means. This is how you copied discs back then. Still works today. Some of the machines can be "finicky" with the brand of blanks used. MAXELL always works for me regardless of the burner used.

No idea what "shortcut" means.

Anything that simply treats the bits as a stream without regard to potential errors.

If there's one thing I've learned since I first started copying CDs in 1999, it's that it's as much art and black magic as science. I've had CDs that would play perfectly in a normal player but confused a computer. I've had at least three with skips in multiple standalone players but that were willing to copy cleanly via computer. I can't count how many CDs would refuse to read cleanly in one drive but would work perfectly in another.

I gave up trading after too many clicks, pops, missing sections, repeated sections, etc. It's possible to create 100% bit-perfect copies, but few were willing to do so while many were willing to pollute the trading pool with bad copies.

We use FLAC now for archiving due to its smaller file size and tagging functionality. But before FLAC there was Shorten, which also created smaller files but--at least in the circles I ran in 20 years ago--existed more to avoid the errors that were so common with CDDA copies.

I'm very grateful that we now have AccurateRip and the Cue Tools database to prevent or identify or even fix errors, but unfortunately there's still 20+ years of junk out there. In fact, I just within the last hour finally listened to an Iggy Pop show that was clearly copied by someone who Just Didn't Care.

Fortunately, DVD is unlike CDDA in that it's a 100% data format with all the error correction that implies. It's much, much simpler to get a perfect 1:1 copy of a DVD than it ever was with CD. Unless, as also used to happen, traders would create copies via standalone DVD recorders, introducing generational loss as well as eliminating menus and destroying chapters.

I've still got a box of discs under my desk that I swore I'd some day attempt to un-trash, but in my fifth year of retirement it still hasn't happened.

Anything that simply treats the bits as a stream without regard to potential errors.

If there's one thing I've learned since I first started copying CDs in 1999, it's that it's as much art and black magic as science. I've had CDs that would play perfectly in a normal player but confused a computer. I've had at least three with skips in multiple standalone players but that were willing to copy cleanly via computer. I can't count how many CDs would refuse to read cleanly in one drive but would work perfectly in another.

I gave up trading after too many clicks, pops, missing sections, repeated sections, etc. It's possible to create 100% bit-perfect copies, but few were willing to do so while many were willing to pollute the trading pool with bad copies.

We use FLAC now for archiving due to its smaller file size and tagging functionality. But before FLAC there was Shorten, which also created smaller files but--at least in the circles I ran in 20 years ago--existed more to avoid the errors that were so common with CDDA copies.

I'm very grateful that we now have AccurateRip and the Cue Tools database to prevent or identify or even fix errors, but unfortunately there's still 20+ years of junk out there. In fact, I just within the last hour finally listened to an Iggy Pop show that was clearly copied by someone who Just Didn't Care.

Fortunately, DVD is unlike CDDA in that it's a 100% data format with all the error correction that implies. It's much, much simpler to get a perfect 1:1 copy of a DVD than it ever was with CD. Unless, as also used to happen, traders would create copies via standalone DVD recorders, introducing generational loss as well as eliminating menus and destroying chapters.

I've still got a box of discs under my desk that I swore I'd some day attempt to un-trash, but in my fifth year of retirement it still hasn't happened.

Drives had poor error correction in 1999. The drives today are leaps and bounds better today, IOW it really didn't have anything to do with software back then, it was more a drive limitation.

Drives had poor error correction in 1999. The drives today are leaps and bounds better today, IOW it really didn't have anything to do with software back then, it was more a drive limitation.

The hardware and the software have both gotten better, but the problems still remain. I will STILL occasionally find myself with a new, seemingly perfect CD in a modern drive and every piece of software I throw at it will still take forever to get a clean read, *IF* in fact it can actually get a clean read in the end.

And sometimes it takes an old drive to do the job: I had a Bee Gees CD that nothing would read without errors except for a 1999 (maybe 2000) Plextor. That drive also read a Marc Almond bootleg that no other drive or standalone player could without skipping.

At least by using good software you'll know if there was a problem or not. Unless things have changed (and they may well have) you won't be informed of trouble using something like iTunes.

Of course, I should also make clear that not every error is actually audible. It's entirely possible to have rips that technically contain errors but you'll never hear them.

On the other hand, I can think of a situation where I thought I had an individual disc error that turned out to be a flaw in the master: The Reed-Cale-Nico Bataclan show finally got an official(ish) release several years ago and I was annoyed to find that my copy had a single, very blatant error in it. I assumed I had a bad disc, but then when I got serious about putting everything online I found that that disc--with its embedded error--passed AccurateRip with flying colors.

The error, by the way, was exactly the kind of thing I was used to hearing during my trading days when I'd receive discs inaccurately ripped by shortcut-takers. I'd bet just about anything that the "official" release was based on a sloppy read of someone's bootleg CD-R (or that said CD-R was the result of a sloppy read farther upstream).

Back