CD4-10s Mod, 120Vac to 100Vac Bucking Transformer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwb474

QQ Supporter
I had intended to post this thread under my CD4-10s project, but I figured that since it could apply to anyone who buys Japanese gear that runs on 100Vac and does not have a voltage select option. This mod allows me not to have to use an external voltage converter. All you need do is select a 120V to 20V transformer of the correct VA. The transformer can be placed inside, like the CD4-10 that has room, placed on outside the back of the case or put in a separate box. The PDF file shows the schematic and a brief description on how it works.

Attachments

• Before Top.jpg
    Before Top.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Before Side.jpg
    Before Side.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Before Bottom.jpg
    Before Bottom.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 155
  • After Top.jpg
    After Top.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 143
  • After Side.jpg
    After Side.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 146
  • After Bottom.jpg
    After Bottom.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 120Vac In, 100Vac Out.jpg
    120Vac In, 100Vac Out.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 162
  • CD4-10S, Schematic, 120Vac to 100Vac Bucking Transformer.pdf
    227.3 KB · Views: 121
And there is no 120Vac to 34Vac transformer available? Or something like 30Vac, or 32Vac which might work, too?

-Kristian

And there is no 120Vac to 34Vac transformer available? Or something like 30Vac, or 32Vac which might work, too?

-Kristian

Yes, you certainly can, but It is hard to find a 120/34VAC transformer at the right VA. The 120/20VAC is very common and from several manufacturers and in immediate shipment status.. They are readily available in several VA sizes. Since I get quite a bit of stuff from Japan that the voltage is not selectable, I have made it a point to keep several different VA sizes in stock. The CD4-10 is a best case unit: Plenty of room and only one secondary winding. Most gear there is no room inside and the transformers are very special in both physical size and most have multiple secondaries. This was an exercise in what can be done easily and explain the theory behind the bucking transformer. I was also able to dead ringer the 100Vac to the CD40-10's primary.

Back