CDs that are really hybrid SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene_stl

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I read, (here I am pretty sure) that CBS records (iirc) in order to save inventory costs released CDs that really were hybrid SACDs. I think Bobby Dyllpickel and The Rolling Stoned were mentioned.

Does anybody know if there is a list of such releases where someone could have help locating them (if they exist)?

TIA

I read, (here I am pretty sure) that CBS records (iirc) in order to save inventory costs released CDs that really were hybrid SACDs. I think Bobby Dyllpickel and The Rolling Stoned were mentioned.

Does anybody know if there is a list of such releases where someone could have help locating them (if they exist)?

TIA

NEVER heard of Bobby 'Dyllpickel' but you might be referencing the ABKCO Rolling Stones remasters on SACD, which once exhausted, were released as DSD 'MASTERED' CDs in similar digipacks as the original Stones' SACDs. SONY released quite a few RBCDs that were similarly designated DSD REMASTERED which did cause confusion and they no longer use that nomenclature.

SONY did, supposedly, go back to their entire catalogue and associated labels and DSD remastered EVERYTHING for archival purposes so as to preserve the original analogue master tapes and early PCM [DDD] digital masters, as well.

Last edited:
I remember the SACDs of the first two George Thorogood albums being hard to distinguish from the basic CD.
You had to carefully look for the small SACD logo hidden on a back corner.
I bet a lot of people bought it not knowing.
Pretty sure John Hiatt’s Master of Disaster was like that too

I remember the SACDs of the first two George Thorogood albums being hard to distinguish from the basic CD.
You had to carefully look for the small SACD logo hidden on a back corner.
I bet a lot of people bought it not knowing.
Pretty sure John Hiatt’s Master of Disaster was like that too

And all those wonderful CAN Stereo SACDs, as well. Once the initial SACD batch was exhausted, if one followed the links from HRAudio.net, they'd be [un]pleasantly surprised the Stereo RBCDs were shipped in their place!

Can: Tago Mago

SACD

I have a large number of RBCDs which are labeled as DSD mastered. Telarc did that too.

Actually since RBCD has more dynamic range than most analog master tapes from back in the day I guess it wouldn't make any audible difference between and betwixt RBCE and SACD. Presuming good mastering and engineering.

I think 4-earredwonder is correct I was thinking it was ABKCO or CBS. Perhaps I misread some post.

If you have never heard of Bobby Dyllpickel you may not have been reading the right Head Comix. :cool: ;)

The Kinks on the Koch label ,had quite a few , IIRC. Many incorrectly indicated as Surround !!

And I believe Heart -Live In Seattle on Sony was one.

John HIATT - Master Of Disaster on New West Records.

Also an absolute sh*t load on Songlines , Jazz label.

Back