Center channel vocal only

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am generally not a fan of a center channel unless it is used for vocals only. I don't know what it is, but I LOVE the sound of an immersive 5.1 mix with a fully isolated lead vocal in the center channel.

I know what it is: it works.

While I fully acknowledge the real-world problem of crappy center-channel speakers in cheap HTIB systems from Target, for those with six (or more) truly matched speakers, I think this is a settled question. It sounds better. Period.

"Pairwise mixing" is the name given to the oft-used technique of "imaging" a sound between two adjacent speakers. For everwhere except between the two fronts, it's been thoroughly discredited, creating a psychoaccoustically unstable image. No knowledgeable 5.1 engineer uses it today (although it does appear in a few Beatles/Love mixes). Alan Parsons, for example, has stated it's a no-no.

But . . .
We've lived with 2-channel stereo for so long, we've given it a pass here, mostly because there was no alternative. (In early stereo, before pan pots, vocals, bass, and other center-channel stuff was panned dead right or left.)
But that doesn't mean it was optimal.

To all the 2-channel purists over the years saying how perfect the "center image" was on their ML CLS's, I say: bunk. Come take a listen to my six speakers with JT and say that.

Last edited:
The reason that "pairwise mixing" is more acceptable in the front pair is that humans have better spatial localization capabilities in the frontal direction. That is because we have two ears aimed forward. Lateral images are detected, primarily, by one ear with the other only providing intensity information to confirm lateralization and, somewhat, distance. That arrangement is poor for localization between front and back. As for the rear direction, our pinnas make that less definite and there remains the ambiguity between front and back on the sagittal plane.

In other words, while I agree with you completely about the value of a true center source, there are reasons why we have been able to get away with a phantom center in traditional stereo.

Kal

"Pairwise mixing" is the name given to the oft-used technique of "imaging" a sound between two adjacent speakers. For everwhere except between the two fronts, it's been thoroughly discredited
how about between the three fronts "Living Stereo"
I think a psychoaccoustically stable image can be made between lets say the Right and Center channels.

Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic SACD put of all things, the bass guitar in the C channel. That doesn't even work well in phantom mode it makes the overall mix suffer in the bottom end.

I only use 4.0 and am happy with the sound. I tried a center channel Polk speaker which at the time was matched to my front mains and I still didn't like the tonality. I A/B auditioned the mixes and 4.0 always sounded better because the little C speakers just couldn't match the larger fuller tonality coming from the mains. Vocals and movie dialog had more of a transistor radio sound to it. Plus if you prefer using a quad receiver or two modern integrated or power amps it's also more difficult and costly to incorporate a C channel into the system, especially if you go the vacuum tube route.

To exclude the use of C is an ignorant position, unless it is done with full knowledge and experience with C and chosen as the best delivery of that particular content.

Very well said.

Also, Billie Holiday: Lady in Satin has just her vocal in the center. The multi-channel SACD sounds great. The stereo SACD sounds pretty bad (piercing) because the mastering engineer played it back using the wrong EQ setting!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my inflammatory take: If you try to draw conclusions about this based only on multitracked, re-mixed, rechannelized pop recordings, those conclusions will vary depending on the mixing (or mixing philosophy) of your sample recordings. Sometimes putting the solo voice in the center works and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the skill of the engineer and the appropriateness for that performance.

Kal

Wrong, Billie Holiday is mainly centre along with other parts of the mix but has a lot of bleeding to the fronts. This is the opposite to most MC stuff.

On some songs from Anticipation, Carly Simon's vocal uses the centre only (along with a little bleeding from the entire mix) and to the sides leaving the F.R & F.L for the back up singers only. I believe this is why I find this album slightly iratating and uneven. Generally I agree that just a slight mix of vocals to the centre is the best.

Having said that, Wake from Sheila Nichols has some very discrete vocals. It moves back and forth. Its any interesting effect.

Back