Chance Encounter with 5.1 Mixer Chuck Ainlay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
As my wife and I were leaving the Jeff Beck concert, I happen to run into Chuck Ainley (Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms surround mix).

I was silently mouthing his name as I recognized him. He smiled at this and shook my hand and knowing I wanted to say something, I blurted out "keep mixing in 5.1!"

His knowing smile got bigger.

As my wife and I were leaving the Jeff Beck concert, I happen to run into Chuck Ainley (Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms surround mix).

I was silently mouthing his name as I recognized him. He smiled at this and shook my hand and knowing I wanted to say something, I blurted out "keep mixing in 5.1!"

His knowing smile got bigger.

How was the concert? (was this a show from the "Tribute to Les Paul tour"?)

The Rock & Roll Party (Les Paul Tribute) shows wrapped on April 10th in San Francisco. JB has resumed shows with his touring group for the new Emotion & Commotion album. It was great!

Jeff Beck plus Jason Rebello - keyboards / Vonda Smith - bass+vocals / Narada Michael Walden - drums+vocals

Jeff seemed energized and relaxed with this group; he graciously gave everyone featured moments, smiling at their contributions to the show. They covered material from all eras (irony Michael Walden played on Wired) very well and threw in a few surprises like petite Vonda singing the hell out of Rollin And Tumblin, Michael Walden singing verses of Little Wing before Jeff leans into it reall good. Great volume level, everything heard and not ear splitting. There was a mic where Jeff would comment but I didn't make out most of these from where we sat @ nearly the back of The Ryman floor. RECOMMENDED

Next: Paul Simon in 17 days, same venue

Please, anyone who meets an engineer who does surround mixes, ask them what they've mixed that hasn't been released (as well as what's scheduled for mixing).

Back