Change is Afoot at QQ in 2022 - Forum Streamlining and New Moderators

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
In the days and weeks ahead you may notice some changes to the organization and layout of the QuadraphonicQuad forums.

We started this process invisibly more than a year ago (and we've been considering some of these changes for even longer than that) and though it was somewhat derailed by the pandemic, the recent issues with (and complaints about) off-topic posts and other forum issues have spurred us to finally see this through to fruition.

@JonUrban created an amazing resource for us all here, and with almost 30,000 threads and as home to more than 10,000 users, it's by far the largest and most expansive source for surround-related news and discussion anywhere on the internet by a country mile. In the last few years, with the uptick in new users (and threads being created as a result) things have gotten on top of us a little despite our best efforts, and as a result, forums are cluttered with off-topic threads, threads are cluttered with off-topic posts, and so on.

We've asked users to be more responsible about policing their own posts, but we recognize that these issues are exacerbated by a forum layout that's become unwieldy in size, with what seems like multiple sub-forums devoted to similar topics, and other forums whose intent is somewhat unclear. We know we also have to lead by example from the front when we ask users to do something, and as such we're undertaking a four-phase initiative that we believe will lead to a better-organized, more useful QQ experience for everyone:

1. Reducing the number of sub-forums by consolidating posts from little-used/disused/unused forums into other, busier forums that cover the same topic. This process is underway now, and a complete list of changes will be posted once complete.
  2. Updating the names and/or descriptions of some of the remaining forums so their purpose and intent is clear.
  3. Moving all off-topic posts (wherever they may be) to more appropriate and relevant places.
  4. Creation of some new forums: this isn't set in stone yet, but will likely mean new forums devoted to growing trends in surround including 5.1 downloads, multichannel streaming, and an increased presence for the already-extant Multichannel Media Players forum.

In concert with these foundational re-alignment, we're also pleased to welcome @sjcorne and @Strilo onboard as Junior Moderators. We believe these additions will not only help us dig in to the backlog of polls that need to be created, but also allow us to be more responsive in dealing with off-topic posts, not only in the poll forums but site-wide. Please join us in offering a warm welcome as they take up their new roles on QQ.

As part of these changes @Bob Romano will be stepping back from his moderating duties. Not only is Bob one of QQ's oldest users (he'll be marking his 20th anniversary here in April) he's also one of its kindest, and he's set the standard here for generosity both in front of, and behind the scenes, both as a user and moderator. It's almost impossible to overstate how much Bob has contributed here, both tangibly and intangibly, and I hope everyone reading this will take a moment to thank him for his efforts over the years, whether you've directly benefitted from his kindness or not.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
In the days and weeks ahead you may notice some changes to the organization and layout of the QuadraphonicQuad forums.

We started this process invisibly more than a year ago (and we've been considering some of these changes for even longer than that) and though it was somewhat derailed by the pandemic, the recent issues with (and complaints about) off-topic posts and other forum issues have spurred us to finally see this through to fruition.

@JonUrban created an amazing resource for us all here, and with almost 30,000 threads and as home to more than 10,000 users, it's by far the largest and most expansive source for surround-related news and discussion anywhere on the internet by a country mile. In the last few years, with the uptick in new users (and threads being created as a result) things have gotten on top of us a little despite our best efforts, and as a result, forums are cluttered with off-topic threads, threads are cluttered with off-topic posts, and so on.

We've asked users to be more responsible about policing their own posts, but we recognize that these issues are exacerbated by a forum layout that's become unwieldy in size, with what seems like multiple sub-forums devoted to similar topics, and other forums whose intent is somewhat unclear. We know we also have to lead by example from the front when we ask users to do something, and as such we're undertaking a four-phase initiative that we believe will lead to a better-organized, more useful QQ experience for everyone:

1. Reducing the number of sub-forums by consolidating posts from little-used/disused/unused forums into other, busier forums that cover the same topic. This process is underway now, and a complete list of changes will be posted once complete.
  2. Updating the names and/or descriptions of some of the remaining forums so their purpose and intent is clear.
  3. Moving all off-topic posts (wherever they may be) to more appropriate and relevant places.
  4. Creation of some new forums: this isn't set in stone yet, but will likely mean new forums devoted to growing trends in surround including 5.1 downloads, multichannel streaming, and an increased presence for the already-extant Multichannel Media Players forum.

In concert with these foundational re-alignment, we're also pleased to welcome @sjcorne and @Strilo onboard as Junior Moderators. We believe these additions will not only help us dig in to the backlog of polls that need to be created, but also allow us to be more responsive in dealing with off-topic posts, not only in the poll forums but site-wide. Please join us in offering a warm welcome as they take up their new roles on QQ.

As part of these changes @Bob Romano will be stepping back from his moderating duties. Not only is Bob one of QQ's oldest users (he'll be marking his 20th anniversary here in April) he's also one of its kindest, and he's set the standard here for generosity both in front of, and behind the scenes, both as a user and moderator. It's almost impossible to overstate how much Bob has contributed here, both tangibly and intangibly, and I hope everyone reading this will take a moment to thank him for his efforts over the years, whether you've directly benefitted from his kindness or not.

Thanks to all of you admins and mods, old, new, and in-between. Huge tip o' the hat to @Bob Romano as he enjoys some well-earned relief from his duties. Looking forward to whatever rationalizing/reorganizing is in the works.

Lord British

I would just like to say a humble "thank you" for all the hard work to everyone behind the scenes here at QQ. I find this site to be an essential resource. Thank you for putting up with the BS, and for investing your precious time into making this a place where complete strangers can come together and "immerse" themselves in something cool. :smokin
cheers-fireworks.gif

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
This is the place I've chosen for my retirement years; and for the short time I've been here, have learned a massive amount.

All that learning and fun is made possible by the generous and kind moderators I like to call my friends (and many many members also.) You all will no doubt keep this place well in hand for the foreseeable future.

I hope Bob Romano hangs around for a long long time with his deep knowledge and generosity of all things concerning music :bowing:.

And dudes like Steely Dave and Jonathan @sjcorne (Mr. New Mod. 🍾) have been especially kind to me and have guided me through the tumultuous voyage of all that I have learned here.

Mistee

Thank you for this interesting update and thank you to all those involved in the behind the scenes work.

I wonder if an accepted definition of 'off topic' would be useful?

As I read, I am sometimes surprised that areas of discussion I had been quite interested in, and felt like worthy, relevant avenues of discussion, were regarded by other posters as completely off topic. Perhaps because the discussion went in an unexpected, though still relevant and interesting direction? Original posters in particular may be sensitive to discussion that explores things in a different way to their expectations, even if the topic does remain pertinent. However, there are of course some very obvious 'off topic' posts as we all know! :)

Just some thoughts.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Thank you for this interesting update and thank you to all those involved in the behind the scenes work.

As I read, I am sometimes surprised that areas of discussion I had been quite interested in, and felt like worthy, relevant avenues of discussion, were regarded by other posters as completely off topic. Perhaps because the discussion went in an unexpected, though still relevant and interesting direction? Original posters in particular may be sensitive to discussion that explores things in a different way to their expectations, even if the topic does remain pertinent. However, there are of course some very obvious 'off topic' posts as we all know! :)

Just some thoughts.

This is a subjective matter that moderators will do their level best to interpret and respond if it seems warranted. There is certainly some latitude expected within a thread to accommodate surprising related asides that relate to the OP's intent. Some departures are sudden and/or radically different; those are easy to spot in a thread and deal with it. Since it is a subjective matter we'll likely never get it 100% right to please everyone, we will respond to these situations as best we can. As long as members can think about their posts in terms of topic and context, we will have less of these incidents to consider. If you notice something that hasn't been addressed, please make use of the Report post option to bring it to our attention.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003

Just some thoughts.

I think the best rule of thumb, and the one I try to enforce is that the thread title should serve as an instruction to what constitutes 'on topic' or 'off topic'. For example, if the thread title is 'Jethro Tull in 5.1' then anything related to that is fair game. But if the thread title is 'Jethro Tull Aqualung in 5.1' then the discussion should roughly relate to only this album. We're not by any means trying to legislate the fun out of QQ, and I think this guideline has plenty of breadth in it.

If you want to talk about Thick as a Brick, or the quad mix of Warchild (for example) you should use the search function to see if a thread for your topic already exists, and if not then start a new thread. Obviously if you're discussing other albums in relation to, or comparing and contrasting to, Aqualung that would belong in the thread, but otherwise, consider starting a new thread if the topic starts to diverge.

The problem (at least from my perspective as someone who's had to do a lot of "tidying") isn't that valuable musical discussion is getting derailed by other valuable musical discussion that's off topic, it's that threads get derailed by off-topic posts that are of "low value" (content-wise, subjectively) and you get this kind of broken telephone effect of low value post on top of low value post until the thread bears no resemblance to the one was started. Let's say (just as an imaginary example) someone posts in the Who's Next thread highlighting that the Kiss box set with the atmos mix was $300 and that the price was too high, then someone else posts something like "KISS sucks!" and then someone else replies with a picture of Paul Stanley's face with some kind of pun on the word sucking, and on and on. I think maybe people don't always see these kinds of posts because we're pretty proactive about removing them, but it's these kinds of tangents that kill interesting threads stone dead.

The other benefit of starting a new thread for something that would be off-topic in an existing thread is that it's guaranteed to get way more visibility, and more replies than if it's on page 8 of an extant thread. I dunno about anyone else, but I'm not too shy to admit when I do a post that I want to see it dripping in heart emojis and thumbs up and for people to reply to and engage with what I've taken the time to write. When you put your posts in the right place, either in an existing thread or a new one, you're much more likely to get the eyes of the people you want to see it on your writing.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is all great news, from a quality site, and quality people behind the scenes. As a QQ participant I will do all I can to make things positive during any transition.
Welcome to the new Junior Moderators, a couple of good guys, and thanks Bob for your amazing back log of talents with QQ, looks exactly like Frank Zappa.
;)

~dave~~wave~

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I think the best rule of thumb, and the one I try to enforce is that the thread title should serve as an instruction to what constitutes 'on topic' or 'off topic'. For example, if the thread title is 'Jethro Tull in 5.1' then anything related to that is fair game. But if the thread title is 'Jethro Tull Aqualung in 5.1' then the discussion should roughly relate to only this album. We're not by any means trying to legislate the fun out of QQ, and I think this guideline has plenty of breadth in it.

If you want to talk about Thick as a Brick, or the quad mix of Warchild (for example) you should use the search function to see if a thread for your topic already exists, and if not then start a new thread. Obviously if you're discussing other albums in relation to, or comparing and contrasting to, Aqualung that would belong in the thread, but otherwise, consider starting a new thread if the topic starts to diverge.

The problem (at least from my perspective as someone who's had to do a lot of "tidying") isn't that valuable musical discussion is getting derailed by other valuable musical discussion that's off topic, it's that threads get derailed by off-topic posts that are of "low value" (content-wise, subjectively) and you get this kind of broken telephone effect of low value post on top of low value post until the thread bears no resemblance to the one was started. Let's say (just as an imaginary example) someone posts in the Who's Next thread highlighting that the Kiss box set with the atmos mix was $300 and that the price was too high, then someone else posts something like "KISS sucks!" and then someone else replies with a picture of Paul Stanley's face with some kind of pun on the word sucking, and on and on. I think maybe people don't always see these kinds of posts because we're pretty proactive about removing them, but it's these kinds of tangents that kill interesting threads stone dead.

The other benefit of starting a new thread for something that would be off-topic in an existing thread is that it's guaranteed to get way more visibility, and more replies than if it's on page 8 of an extant thread. I dunno about anyone else, but I'm not too shy to admit when I do a post that I want to see it dripping in heart emojis and thumbs up and for people to reply to and engage with what I've taken the time to write. When you put your posts in the right place, either in an existing thread or a new one, you're much more likely to get the eyes of the people you want to see it on your writing.

I support this to the fullest.

And a tip of the hat to @Bob Romano

1645751240844.png

djstephan

I visit the site very regularly, almost daily, and have benefited from and appreciated all the incredible knowledge of past and present moderators as well as the members here. For that I am forever grateful.
I find this forum to be one of the friendliest in the planet and even though many of us are miles apart, what this forum resonates is a feeling of tight comradery. That can be attributed to its founders and its moderators, so cheers to you all. Many thanks for the bottom of my humble heart.
For the newcomers , good luck and hope you continue in the spirit of its founders and many thanks to all of you behind the scenes for keeping this surround community going.

Last edited:

scooob

QQ Supporter
I only found this forum a couple of years ago, though I've been interested in surround music for a couple of decades. I'm so happy to have landed in a community of like-minded folks who are (mostly) very generous and kind with their valuable insights and knowledge. Thanks to all who keep this thing going, whether visible or behind the scenes. I think it has a bigger impact than you imagine.