Change is Afoot at QQ in 2022 - Forum Streamlining and New Moderators

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

EricKalet

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Sounds like some incredible changes and forward thinking coming to a best in class forum!! Thank you to @Bob Romano and look forward to your continuing contributions even as you step back a bit.

@steelydave thank you for always keeping us in the loop about the forum and sharing your knowledge with everyone. Awesome work as always continuing the founder's @JonUrban mission here!

Congrats to @sjcorne and @Strilo for taking on moderator roles, I'm sure we all see how challenging these roles are in a forum like this, so good luck and thank you!

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This site is my Holy Grail for all that is surround music. Not forgetting, the occasional foray into stereo music!! :)

I cannot say thank-you enough to all the mods and members who have made this niche site what it is.

Since I first discovered surround music over 10 years ago, by mistake I will add, and my subsequent membership of QQ , the hobby has turned into an obsession. Where I readily absorb details on surround releases from artists I would never of heard of, or indeed, seen live.

Steve Wilson being a case in point.

So I wish the new and existing mods bon voyage on their journey through the various aspects of maintaining QQ for many years to come.

boondocks

Senior Surround Collector
QQ Supporter
Big thanks first of all to Jon Urban. In spite of his self-deprecating speech he is a giant in my book.

It goes without saying that Bob Romano, Timbre4 and (many) others have been quite valuable to this forum. Please don't feel that I'm trying to omit anyone. I just forget stuff. And names.

Hats off to Angie and all involved in restructuring the forum! I've been here quite some years and I'm still confused when searching for an appropriate topic or forum section.

Best wishes to the new mods!

Guitmark

QQ Supporter
Thank you to all. Ever since our dear departed friend Rik turned me on to this forum, I’ve faithfully read every day's posts and been pointed to so much great music. I rely on the good taste of all the members and trust their opinions (even when they’re engaged In a passionate back and forth.) And now that I have Apple TV4K and Apple Music, I use all the convenient links that are posted and just sit and add them to my library. There’s always something worth listening to in all of them.

so thank you to the moderators, past and present. Much gratitude.

Last edited:

barfle

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I’ll second (or forty-second) all those posts expressing appreciation to the folks who run this site. I don’t post here a lot, usually because I’m about a week behind everyone, so I don’t have a lot to add (just like this post, alas) but when I do, the responses I get are almost always generous and thoughtful.

Marplot

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I've had posts removed here in the past for straying off-topic. The admins have a hard job of dealing with that among a group of like-minded peers in the niche group of surround sound.
They do a great job and are not recognized enough for the work they put in making this a better place for all of us.

props to you all and thanks! I look forward to the extra hands helping.

Mistee

I think the best rule of thumb, and the one I try to enforce is that the thread title should serve as an instruction to what constitutes 'on topic' or 'off topic'. For example, if the thread title is 'Jethro Tull in 5.1' then anything related to that is fair game. But if the thread title is 'Jethro Tull Aqualung in 5.1' then the discussion should roughly relate to only this album. We're not by any means trying to legislate the fun out of QQ, and I think this guideline has plenty of breadth in it.

If you want to talk about Thick as a Brick, or the quad mix of Warchild (for example) you should use the search function to see if a thread for your topic already exists, and if not then start a new thread. Obviously if you're discussing other albums in relation to, or comparing and contrasting to, Aqualung that would belong in the thread, but otherwise, consider starting a new thread if the topic starts to diverge.

The problem (at least from my perspective as someone who's had to do a lot of "tidying") isn't that valuable musical discussion is getting derailed by other valuable musical discussion that's off topic, it's that threads get derailed by off-topic posts that are of "low value" (content-wise, subjectively) and you get this kind of broken telephone effect of low value post on top of low value post until the thread bears no resemblance to the one was started. Let's say (just as an imaginary example) someone posts in the Who's Next thread highlighting that the Kiss box set with the atmos mix was $300 and that the price was too high, then someone else posts something like "KISS sucks!" and then someone else replies with a picture of Paul Stanley's face with some kind of pun on the word sucking, and on and on. I think maybe people don't always see these kinds of posts because we're pretty proactive about removing them, but it's these kinds of tangents that kill interesting threads stone dead.

The other benefit of starting a new thread for something that would be off-topic in an existing thread is that it's guaranteed to get way more visibility, and more replies than if it's on page 8 of an extant thread. I dunno about anyone else, but I'm not too shy to admit when I do a post that I want to see it dripping in heart emojis and thumbs up and for people to reply to and engage with what I've taken the time to write. When you put your posts in the right place, either in an existing thread or a new one, you're much more likely to get the eyes of the people you want to see it on your writing.

Thank you for responding to my thoughts so thoroughly.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
UPDATE: Junior Moderator promotions - I'd planned this announcement for July 4th, but life throws you a few curves.

Strilo and Sjcorne (new series this Fall on NETFLIX just/kidding) have proven themselves worthy with outstanding contributions in terms of thread monitoring and POLL creation in additional to their fine contributions as QQ members excited about our quad/surround hobby.

Please join me in congratulating both Strilo and Sjcorne on each of their promotions to full moderators! Cheers 💽🥇