Changing Sample Rate in Foobar Converter

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Hi All,

I thought I might save myself (still more) hours of scouring the web if I just posed this question here: can anyone tell me an easy way to change the sample rate in foobar's converter? I have a bunch of SACD ISO's that I want to convert to FLAC, but by default it seems to be doing them all at 24/352.8. I'd be happy with 24/96 (or 88.2, or whatever), but I can't find the proper setting to fiddle with, and an initial Google search was no help. (B/t/w: I have the SoX resampler active in my DSP list, with 96k chosen as my "Target samplerate.")

Last edited:
Here you go...

1522519273444.png

Thanks, Gene. I didn't know you could do this. But it looks like this is for converting SACD to PCM on the fly, as you play it? I'm ripping the SACD ISOs to FLAC first, using the Converter tool, and then playing the FLACs--because the processor on my old laptop can't seem to handle playing raw ISOs (or DSD files) without stuttering...

I do the same. I rip SACD to iso via Oppo. Load that iso into foobar (at that point, it shows all the songs). I first play the iso to see what the "levels" are at (as SACD seem to notoriously be lower decibels than other formats)

I then open up that window you see (only to adjust the decibels if needed) and I had already set the sample rate at 88,200....
I then hit the converter tool (as you mentioned) and it will then set the sample rate for the flac files at 88,200

I do this all the time, and it works. :)

Cool--I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

Actually, I have to thank you doubly--because I discovered, following your settings, that all this time I didn't even need to convert those ISOs to FLAC in order to get them to quit stuttering. All I had to do was change the "Output Mode" (in SACD Settings) from "DSD+PCM" to "PCM." Et voila!

Reactions: GOS
I first play the iso to see what the "levels" are at (as SACD seem to notoriously be lower decibels than other formats)
Its probably to do with the way DSD 'operates'. Too high a level and the conversion can go unstable (I seem to remember that the maximum level is 6dB lower than an equivalent PCM), this would produce a burst of HF, and that normally means bye-bye tweeters. Which is why a few of us have had issues with some SACDs which have levels which exceed this limit and some amplifiers/players conversion algorithms cut-it out giving silence, making a few people, me included, think there was a disc fault!

Back