HiRez Poll Chase - PURE MUSIC & CHASE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Chase - PURE MUSIC & CHASE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion of the classic Chase albums "Pure Music" & "Chase".
This Multichannel SACD release contains the original Quadraphonic mixes for both albums, remastered and released for the first time in over 40 years! :eek:

(y):)(n)

Pure Music
LP KE 32572 (1974) STEREO/EQ 32572 QUADRAPHONIC
1: WEIRD SONG NO. 1 (Chase)
2: RUN BACK TO MAMA (Chase; Peterik)
3: TWINKLES (Chase)
4: BOCHAWA (Chase)
5: LOVE IS ON THE WAY (Peterik)
6: CLOSE UP TIGHT (Chase)

Chase
LP E 30472 (1971) STEREO/EQ 30472 QUADRAPHONIC
7: OPEN UP WIDE (Chase)
8: LIVIN’ IN HEAT (Walker; Hall; Turner)
9: HELLO GROCERIES (O’Rourke)
10: HANDBAGS AND GLADRAGS (D’Abo)
11: GET IT ON (Chase; Richards)
12: BOYS AND GIRLS TOGETHER (Peterik)
INVITATION TO A RIVER
13:a TWO MINDS MEET (Chase; Raub)
14:b STAY (Chase; Raub)
15:c PAINT IT SAD (Chase; Raub)
16:d REFLECTIONS (Chase)
17:e RIVER (Chase; Richards)

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton
Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

812%2BN7wd9UL._SL1418_.jpg

ps. on the basis of the mix, fidelity and performances on just the 'Pure Music' Quad in this 2-fer, to me this is a "QQ 10" all day long. add the 1st Chase Quad and.. it goes upto 11..! :love:

If Adam says it's an 11..........and considering this was on my all time QUAD dream list ...........cannot wait for my D~V Royal Mail delivery.

Adam perhaps the first cut WEIRD SONG No. 1 was a 'sight reading!'

I was hoping that each of the four trumpets got their own channel so that you could listen to the individual parts.

that would be a neat idea and while it does appear to happen of a fashion in places in the 1st album Quad, I think (?) some of it may have been achieved thru panning rather than the instruments being separately mic'd and assigned their own channel.. but I don't know any of that for sure its just my reaction to the mixes.

the Pure Music Quad mix is, to my ears, much more sophisticated surround than the Quad mix of the S/T album, there is distinct discrete stuff happening in all channels and at times it seems there may be multiple trumpets "cannoning" off one another around the room and there are also 360-degree pans but to me they are more musical and subtle in Pure Music's Quad mix than the 1st album's Quad mix.

Super, definitely a 10. This was very high on my wish list also.

Same here. I'm very familiar with the self-titled album (one of the first quads I ever heard). The opening trumpet blasts of "Open Up Wide" are arguably what this format's all about, and have proven very useful over the years in testing SQ decoders. The music is pretty darn great too.

This is going to sound a bit dramatic, but I'd say this is the greatest uptick in sound quality I've ever heard going from a Q8 tape to an SACD from the quad masters. I'm of the opinion that Q8s are generally very listenable but this one was a horrible disappointment- the trumpets sound tonally different in each channel and it just sounds all around awful, like the whole thing was recorded in a cardboard box.

Thank you Mr. Dutton for getting this one out! All wrongs regarding sound quality have been righted and now everyone can enjoy this iconic quad mix in the best quality/presentation possible. A huge 10.

Last edited:
Same here. I'm very familiar with the self-titled album (one of the first quads I ever heard). The opening trumpet blasts of "Open Up Wide" are arguably what this format's all about, and have proven very useful over the years in testing SQ decoders. The music is pretty darn great too.

This is going to sound a bit dramatic, but I'd say this is the most dramatic uptick in sound quality I've ever heard going from a Q8 tape to an SACD from the quad masters. I'm of the opinion that Q8s are generally very listenable but this one was a horrible disappointment- the trumpets sound tonally different in each channel and it just sounds all around awful, like the whole thing was recorded in a cardboard box.

Thank you Mr. Dutton for getting this one out! All wrongs regarding sound quality have been righted and now everyone can enjoy this iconic quad mix in the best quality/presentation possible. A huge 10.

stick with me ol' buddy ol' pal,
i won't let ya down! (y):phones

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...her-report-sept-2018.25413/page-7#post-389369

I only have 2Lp's framed on the wall and the Pure Music is one of them. Chase is the reason I have wanted a Quad system since the early 70's. I will be buying a SACD/Bluray/DVD-Audio player ( guess it will have to be an Oppo since I don't know of any others that will play all of those) in the next week or so, maybe after 50 years I will finally get to hear Chase in Quad.

I only have 2Lp's framed on the wall and the Pure Music is one of them. Chase is the reason I have wanted a Quad system since the early 70's. I will be buying a SACD/Bluray/DVD-Audio player ( guess it will have to be an Oppo since I don't know of any others that will play all of those) in the next week or so, maybe after 50 years I will finally get to hear Chase in Quad.

A fellow Chase fan here. I saw him live, “closeup and tight”, shortly before his untimely demise. My DV SACD arrives next week, can’t wait!

The Oppo is a great choice for SACD’s and DVD-audio, but is no longer in production. I’ve heard others recommend the Sony UBP-X800. From the specs it looks like a good alternative to the Oppo.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X800/Sony-UBP-X800.html

Last edited:
A fellow Chase fan here. I saw him live, “closeup and tight”, shortly before his untimely demise. My DV SACD arrives next week, can’t wait!

The Oppo is a great choice for SACD’s and DVD-audio, but is no longer in production. I’ve heard others recommend the Sony UBP-X800. From the specs it looks like a good alternative to the Oppo.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X800/Sony-UBP-X800.html

Thanks for the recommendation on the Sony.

Only problem that I see is that my Sunfire processor does not have any HDMI inputs, so it would have to be able to send all the multi channel information out the digital coax port ( my Sunfire has a couple of digital inputs)

Second thing is- there is no display on the front to show which track you are playing....what's up with that? Talk about a major design flaw, that may be a deal breaker there.
I thought that I had recently read a comment in a review of it that said it wouldn't play their SACD's. That looks like a much better deal at $300 brand new, I like the thought of buying new. Old stuff breaks a lot...lol

I think I only have 1 DVD-Audio disc but it is one of my top 5 discs. Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day so I need to be able to play that one for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation on the Sony.
Only problem that I see is that my Sunfire processor does not have any HDMI inputs, so it would have to be able to send all the multi channel information out the digital coax port ( my Sunfire has a couple of digital inputs)
Second thing is- there is no display on the front to show which track you are playing....what's up with that? Talk about a major design flaw, that may be a deal breaker there.
I thought that I had recently read a comment in a review of it that said it wouldn't play their SACD's. That looks like a much better deal at $300 brand new, I like the thought of buying new. Old stuff breaks a lot...lol

I think I only have 1 DVD-Audio disc but it is one of my top 5 discs. Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day so I need to be able to play that one for sure.

unfortunately, MultiCh SACD content cannot be sent over an optical or coaxial digital connection.

most commonly used is either the current method of audio enabled/compliant Vn of HDMI, or the legacy MultiCh analogue/RCA/phono connections (where each channel has its own phono cable connection from player to receiver/processor) so in a 5.1 setup the connections are = 1:FL/2:FR/3:C/4:LFE/5:SL/6:SR
or in a 7.1 rig = 1:FL/2:FR/3:C/4:LFE/5:SL/6:SR/7:BSL/8:BSR.

Last edited:
unfortunately, MultiCh SACD content cannot be sent over an optical or coaxial digital connection.

most commonly used is either the current method of audio enabled/compliant Vn of HDMI, or the legacy MultiCh analogue/RCA/phono connections (where each channel has its own phono cable connection from player to receiver/processor) so in a 5.1 setup the connections are = 1:FL/2:FR/3:C/4:LFE/5:SL/6:SR
or in a 7.1 rig = 1:FL/2:FR/3:C/4:LFE/5:SL/6:SR/7:BSL/8:BSR.

Bummer, looks like an Oppo is my only choice with the Sony not having a front display, still can't understand that. :(

Bummer, looks like an Oppo is my only choice with the Sony not having a front display, still can't understand that. :(

tbh i'm not really your goto QQ-er to help much with all this, there's lots of members here much more of a gearhead than me, i'm more into the software and the surround-y-ness of the mixes than the hardware side but to me the Oppo's I've tried are by and large a cut above the SACD-capable Sony's I've played with. shame they pulled out the market but still.. anyway, hopefully one of our compadres will chip in with pointers on your best course of action :)

Back