HiRez Poll Chase - PURE MUSIC & CHASE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Chase - PURE MUSIC & CHASE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Bummer, looks like an Oppo is my only choice with the Sony not having a front display, still can't understand that. :(

Looks like you need analog outputs based on your setup. If you decide to go with a used Oppo I suggest the 103 or 105, which will enable you to rip SACD’s too. Was definitely worth it for me. Regarding the lack of in-player display, can you connect a small HDMI-compatible TV or monitor? Much more info available to you, and necessary if you want to play most audio blu-ray titles.
——-
P.S. - even though my Oppo has a small display, I can’t imagine using it without a TV attached. Menus, setup, usage would be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Not having hdmi inputs on the Sunfire is a big negative. I might be better off getting rid of it and just going to a high end receiver, that way I could get the Sony since it really only has hdmi outputs, and tv's with hdmi inputs are cheap now. I just want to spend money on equipment that will make Quad sound as good as it can get.

I waited a long time for this. Throughout my life Pure Music has remained my top favorite album. I never expected to hear it in such glory!

44 years ago last June I was an almost-graduated senior at Gull Lake High School, a stone's throw from Kalamazoo. When I heard about the upcoming Chase show at Mr. T-Bone, it was a must-see! I grabbed three fellow trumpeters, drove into town early, and grabbed the front table. Chase's mic was 4 feet away!:)

Bill's trumpet raised high in the air, the show began with "Open Up Wide". What a pure sound! They played songs from all three albums (Chase, Ennea, Pure Music), plus some other selections including a four-trumpet rendition of MacArthur Park, which blew our socks off! Bill told us it was going to be showcased on album #4, scheduled for release later in 1974. During the break Bill took time to talk with us about his playing style, and gave some tips on trumpet mouthpiece selection.

Tragedy stuck 2 months later when Bill and three band members were killed in a plane crash. I was devastated and sought comfort from my ex-girlfriend. She was compassionate.

----------
On to this quad release from DV:

Pure Music is aptly named. Each of Chase's three albums showed evolutionary growth. By the time Pure Music was released Chase was at a musically creative peak. 4-trumpet composition had reached a level of sophistication not before heard. The recording quality is excellent and the quad mix is discrete and integrates well with the musical flow.

Chase (S/T) was my favorite album until Ennea arrived. The sound quality is a notch below Pure Music, and the quad mix is not as well integrated. That being said this SACD is heads and shoulders above any quad version I've heard before.

Overall this is clearly a 10 for me.

I waited a long time for this. Throughout my life Pure Music has remained my top favorite album. I never expected to hear it in such glory!

44 years ago last June I was an almost-graduated senior at Gull Lake High School, a stone's throw from Kalamazoo. When I heard about the upcoming Chase show at Mr. T-Bone, it was a must-see! I grabbed three fellow trumpeters, drove into town early, and grabbed the front table. Chase's mic was 4 feet away!:)

Bill's trumpet raised high in the air, the show began with "Open Up Wide". What a pure sound! They played songs from all three albums (Chase, Ennea, Pure Music), plus some other selections including a four-trumpet rendition of MacArthur Park, which blew our socks off! Bill told us it was going to be showcased on album #4, scheduled for release later in 1974. During the break Bill took time to talk with us about his playing style, and gave some tips on trumpet mouthpiece selection.

Tragedy stuck 2 months later when Bill and three band members were killed in a plane crash. I was devastated and sought comfort from my ex-girlfriend. She was compassionate.

----------
On to this quad release from DV:

Pure Music is aptly named. Each of Chase's three albums showed evolutionary growth. By the time Pure Music was released Chase was at a musically creative peak. 4-trumpet composition had reached a level of sophistication not before heard. The recording quality is excellent and the quad mix is discrete and integrates well with the musical flow.

Chase (S/T) was my favorite album until Ennea arrived. The sound quality is a notch below Pure Music, and the quad mix is not as well integrated. That being said this SACD is heads and shoulders above any quad version I've heard before.

Overall this is clearly a 10 for me.

Great post(y)

Sbrom- I thought you were a guitar player. Chase came to a town about one and 1/2 hours away in 73, and being of non driving age, I couldn't talk anyone into taking me there. I'm still highly pissed off about that, always will be. I'm looking forward to hearing it, my buddy has it and said it was awesome (he use to have a strong Triple C). We were always of the high, fast, and loud clan.

Sbrom- I thought you were a guitar player. Chase came to a town about one and 1/2 hours away in 73, and being of non driving age, I couldn't talk anyone into taking me there. I'm still highly pissed off about that, always will be. I'm looking forward to hearing it, my buddy has it and said it was awesome (he use to have a strong Triple C). We were always of the high, fast, and loud clan.
I can understand your being pissed about that! I wish I still played trumpet, do you still play? For me family life intervened many years ago. I used to try and play along with my Chase albums. I was good enough to occasionally hit high C, but that’s where my lip gave out. Once in a while I ogle trumpets in the music store. Who knows, someday I may try playing again!

As a fellow former trumpet guy.....I had never heard of Chase back in the day, but I really like these albums and agree with sbrom's comments on the mix, clarity difference between the two. I still have my trusty Holton, purchased by monthly payments starting in 4th grade, but alas, I can only hit middle C on a good day. :)

I wish I still played trumpet, do you still play? !

I played in 5 bands when I moved from Columbus, Ohio in '93. Moving to NC quickly proved that this area has zero culture, as the only thing that people care about is NASCAR and the big 3 sports. I've play in one salsa band and that's it. In Ohio I played in 2 Big Bands, wedding bands, played lots of piccolo trumpet and pipe organ Baroque music, brass quintet, and other jobs that a mercenary trumpet player gets talked into...lol. I had a pretty good G above High C since high school.
4 years ago I got attacked by fire ants and my immune system went haywire and killed 95% of my nerves in my arms and legs. The muscles get their information to operate from the nerves, so I lost about 60-70% of the muscles in those areas. I have enough to still walk, not good or very far, but I don't have enough hand strength to open a bottle of water, so my formerly fluent and fast fingers for playing Chase like don't work very good. It's like trying to play with your hands in molasses. I always got the most enjoyment from putting on a LP and being able to play along note for note as I have a very good ear for it. Now I have to pick out songs out that are within my fingering ability. But playing to Chicago is something that I am looking forward to when I get the Quadio set that my kids are getting me for xmas. I will be able to play to the Jerry van Blair flugelhorn solos on the Chase recordings. :)

So sorry to hear about the nerve issue you’re having. Regarding Chicago Quadio, you will love playing along with it. A great release and many excellent trumpet opportunities.

I played in 5 bands when I moved from Columbus, Ohio in '93. Moving to NC quickly proved that this area has zero culture, as the only thing that people care about is NASCAR and the big 3 sports. I've play in one salsa band and that's it. In Ohio I played in 2 Big Bands, wedding bands, played lots of piccolo trumpet and pipe organ Baroque music, brass quintet, and other jobs that a mercenary trumpet player gets talked into...lol. I had a pretty good G above High C since high school.
4 years ago I got attacked by fire ants and my immune system went haywire and killed 95% of my nerves in my arms and legs. The muscles get their information to operate from the nerves, so I lost about 60-70% of the muscles in those areas. I have enough to still walk, not good or very far, but I don't have enough hand strength to open a bottle of water, so my formerly fluent and fast fingers for playing Chase like don't work very good. It's like trying to play with your hands in molasses. I always got the most enjoyment from putting on a LP and being able to play along note for note as I have a very good ear for it. Now I have to pick out songs out that are within my fingering ability. But playing to Chicago is something that I am looking forward to when I get the Quadio set that my kids are getting me for xmas. I will be able to play to the Jerry van Blair flugelhorn solos on the Chase recordings. :)

Yes, sorry to hear about that HobieDog.....I am going to quote you though the next time my wife talks about moving South to be closer to her kids. I don't think she has considered the Fire Ants! Yeesssh, Call me Mr. Four Seasons.

There’s not enough money in the world to get me to move North again. The nasty ass weather in Ohio was the ONLY reason I moved. 6 months after I moved down, my friend called me up and said that he had procured a job for me at a college just a few miles from where I use to live, and that my kids would be able to go to school free at any college they wanted and I quickly turned him down.
No one is aware of the damage that fire ants can do. Back in 1899 an English Explorer in the Congo started losing his expedition members to the locals with their blowgun darts, and after he befriended them, he found out that the only thing that used in their darts was crushed up fire ants and coconut palm oil. My neurologist said he did his PhD paper on a lady who was completely paralyzed and had to learn to communicate by blinking her eyes a certain number of times, all from fire ants

[QUOTE="hobie1dog, post: 398085, member: 3722"]There’s not enough money in the world to get me to move North again. The nasty ass weather in Ohio was the ONLY reason I moved. 6 months after I moved down, my friend called me up and said that he had procured a job for me at a college just a few miles from where I use to live, and that my kids would be able to go to school free at any college they wanted and I quickly turned him down.
No one is aware of the damage that fire ants can do. Back in 1899 an English Explorer in the Congo started losing his expedition members to the locals with their blowgun darts, and after he befriended them, he found out that the only thing that used in their darts was crushed up fire ants and coconut palm oil. My neurologist said he did his PhD paper on a lady who was completely paralyzed and had to learn to communicate by blinking her eyes a certain number of times, all from fire ants[/QUOTE]

After moving to Florida I could never go back north...if anything I've thought about going farther south...like the Caribbean..

Great stuff! The comparison to Blood, Sweat & Tears is inevitable and not without merit, particularly on the debut album, but the music does venture into more adventurous, less song-based, jazz fusion on Pure Music. I'm very fond of both LPs. Pure Music is the stronger of the two sonically, and perhaps musically, so it's a smart move opening the SACD with it. The quad mixes are terrific, as is the content, fidelity and David's liner notes. All-in-all a delightful release. 10.

Finally snagged a copy of this...I think I'm gonna have to go with a "10" as well. What a wild mix on both of these albums - love it!!

One question: Does anyone know why D-V put Pure Music as the first album on the disc? Personally, I prefer discs like this to follow chronology in terms of release dates. Also, if the S/T were first, the disc would have opened with that crazy "quad demonstration" beginning to "Open Up Wide"!! Based on some of the comments here, people seem to prefer Pure Music as an album, so maybe D-V wanted to lead with the stronger material, but I just love the absolutely bonkers mix of the s/t album and would have preferred it to be the opener for the disc. That said, I aint complaining here - I was just wondering about the reasons for switching them!

I've only gotten thru the self-titled album so far. Open Up Wide is near and dear to my heart because it was the first quad recording I had ever heard as the opening snippet to the Columbia SQ demonstration disc. The self-titled album is at least a 9, so I'm looking forward to hearing Pure Music since most say it's the better of the two.

I voted 10. My apologies, I voted awhile ago but never said anything.
Never heard this before, but really fun jazzy/Tower Of Power sound, loved it, in fact have listened a few times since first listen which sometimes doesn't happen.
I loved Audio Fidelity, but sometimes there surround releases where, well not 10's. Dutton Vocalion pretty much nails it with every release.
I have a theory, and that is Michael Dutton is releasing a lot of these obscure Quad albums to SACD, because he is smart and there is not that much demand for them. He is building a 4.0 library that everybody loves and I believe having a snowball effect, kind of like Steven Wilson and soon more popular releases will be given to him because he is good at what he does. This coming from a non intellectual audiophile, just guessing, I am.

I voted 10. My apologies, I voted awhile ago but never said anything.
Never heard this before, but really fun jazzy/Tower Of Power sound, loved it, in fact have listened a few times since first listen which sometimes doesn't happen.
I loved Audio Fidelity, but sometimes there surround releases where, well not 10's. Dutton Vocalion pretty much nails it with every release.
I have a theory, and that is Michael Dutton is releasing a lot of these obscure Quad albums to SACD, because he is smart and there is not that much demand for them. He is building a 4.0 library that everybody loves and I believe having a snowball effect, kind of like Steven Wilson and soon more popular releases will be given to him because he is good at what he does. This coming from a non intellectual audiophile, just guessing, I am.

I voted a solid 10, as well Markie. It seems Michael Dutton nails it every time and hope you're right. Anyone who wants reissues done right should be knocking at the Wizard of Watford's doorsteps.

As far as being a non intellectual audiophile ....... you're as GOOD as ANY!

Back