HiRez Poll Chase - PURE MUSIC & CHASE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Chase - PURE MUSIC & CHASE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I'm giving this a 7. Pure Music is really good (probably a 9 by itself), but the vocals (and really crappy lyrics) on the 1st album really drag this down for me.

Just got thru my first full listen. Very impressive on all fronts. Voted a very high 9.

Love the incredible quad mix on display here - especially Pure Music, which I favor due to the longer compositions, but the S/T is no slouch. That intro to Open Up Wide is beyond demo level!!!

A few years back, there was a comedian on UK television, whose catch line was 'Chase me'

He should have listened to this music, as it is not chastened at all.

A pure, unequivocal, Norvellian 10
You just reminded me of a story I heard on radio last week about the Doors song Touch Me. Originally it was to be Hit Me.

I'm surprised that I didn't vote on this yet, I've had the "Pure Music" SQ LP since the mid seventies, and the Chase LP for not nearly as long. Of the two LP's I like "Pure Music" the best, but you have to hear "Open Up Wide" from the Chase LP as a classic Quad demo track! I have to vote 10!

Chase is always a 10!

I wish Dutton would release Maynard Ferguson's Conquistador Quad. Maybe for a "two-fer" he could put Chase's Ennea on it also! Also a dream release would be Maynard's "Live at Jimmy's" mixed in surround! I could just imagine how great it would be to be sitting in the middle of the audience for that concert!!

Last edited:
Chase is always a 10!

I wish Dutton would release Maynard Ferguson's Conquistador Quad. Maybe for a "two-fer" he could put Chase's Ennea on it also! Also a dream release would be Maynard's "Live at Jimmy's" mixed in surround! I could just imaging how great it would be to be sitting in the middle of the audience for that concert!!

i'd love some more Maynard Ferguson on SACD!! no idea if its even available for them to licence, as BGO compiled "Conquistador" with "Chameleon" & "Hot" on CD approx 5 years ago. Vocalion could pair the Quad up with the Stereo of either one or both of those albums if they can licence them all?

Finally snagged a copy of this...I think I'm gonna have to go with a "10" as well. What a wild mix on both of these albums - love it!!

One question: Does anyone know why D-V put Pure Music as the first album on the disc? Personally, I prefer discs like this to follow chronology in terms of release dates. Also, if the S/T were first, the disc would have opened with that crazy "quad demonstration" beginning to "Open Up Wide"!! Based on some of the comments here, people seem to prefer Pure Music as an album, so maybe D-V wanted to lead with the stronger material, but I just love the absolutely bonkers mix of the s/t album and would have preferred it to be the opener for the disc. That said, I aint complaining here - I was just wondering about the reasons for switching them!

Was there ever an answer/reason for the album order being reversed?
The only song I knew prior to getting this disc was their big hit.
What great albums and had no idea about their tragic end.
An enthusiastic 9 from me

Last edited:
Was there ever an answer/reason for the album order being reversed?
The only song I knew prior to getting this disc was their big hit.
What great albums and no idea about their tragic end.
An enthusiastic 9 from me

Mr Dutton did the same thing on the Poco two-fer and perhaps some others.
I guess it's his prerogative to present what he's licensed as he sees fit.

An artistic choice as far as sequencing two albums that will play consecutively?
@steelydave ?

:unsure:

Mr Dutton did the same thing on the Poco two-fer and perhaps some others.
I guess it's his prerogative to present what he's licensed as he sees fit.

An artistic choice as far as sequencing two albums that will play consecutively?
@steelydave ?

:unsure:

My guess is he prefers to lead with the better-sounding album. The intro to "Drivin' Wheel" is a bit muddy, while "Sagebrush Serenade" sparkles. The same goes for the Earth, Wind & Fire two-fer, "Getaway" has the fidelity edge over "Shining Star"

I have had Pure Music on SQ LP for many years and always enjoyed listening to it. It reminded me of early Chicago. Lots of brass! And in some ways it's better than early Chicago.

But this DV release is absolutely amazing. The quad effects are amazing. It places you right in the middle of it all. There are several tunes that go a little overboard with the spinning around the room, but for some reason, it really works.

Definitely a 10 from me!

Back