Check out this snippet from George Harrison's "Cockamamie Business"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
All of the Beatles solo album talk today got me inspired, so I went at the GH album "Best of Dark Horse" with my Penteo and RX7 arsenal.

Check out this 30 seconds of the song "Cockamamie Business" (5.1 .flac file below). They all don't come out this good, but this one is a stunner (to me, anyway)

CB.jpg

Attachments

• Sample CB.flac
    6.5 MB · Views: 454
All of the Beatles solo album talk today got me inspired, so I went at the GH album "Best of Dark Horse" with my Penteo and RX7 arsenal.

Check out this 30 seconds of the song "Cockamamie Business". They all don't come out this good, but this one is a stunner (to me, anyway)

View attachment 47314
Sounds great Jon, with that being a "Best Of" from various sources I'm guessing the mixes vary from song to song also?
By the way, your advice to me about mixing it up in Penteo between 4.1 and 5.1 is paying off, I'm starting to play with that some and I'm making some good progress! Thanks man.

Sounds great Jon, with that being a "Best Of" from various sources I'm guessing the mixes vary from song to song also?
By the way, your advice to me about mixing it up in Penteo between 4.1 and 5.1 is paying off, I'm starting to play with that some and I'm making some good progress! Thanks man.

Jeff, It really is worth doing 5.1 and 4.1 on a stereo track because the results can be very different. The above track is the 4.1 out of Penteo. I then removed the vocals from the fronts in RX7, then put them into the empty center channel. The result is a very discrete SW type of 5.1 (as far as vocals are concerned). The rest of the mix is purely a result of the Penteo program.

And yes, the results of the other tracks from that album are all over the place. This was the track that got my attention first with regard to best results

Jon,
since is a very late track, how does perform the tracks lifted from Cloud Nine? There are three:
Cloud 9, When we was fab, Got my mind set on you.
Maybe these share same studio and mixing tricks....

Jon,
since is a very late track, how does perform the tracks lifted from Cloud Nine? There are three:
Cloud 9, When we was fab, Got my mind set on you.
Maybe these share same studio and mixing tricks....

Actually, today I have been assembling George Tracks to make a "deluxe version" of his Dark Horse GH for the car. Sad to say, all of the tunes do not share the same results as "Cockamamie Business", but some really sound decent. In most cases, the Penteo 4.1 outshines the Penteo 5.1 mixes.

One thing I found distressing, and check this out. I grabbed by Dark Horse Box Set that came out a few years ago, the one with all of this DH albums and the DVD. I ripped the tracks that I though deserved to be on the Greatest Hits disc for my car, and put them to my hard drive. I was shocked when I saw that two tracks from Thirty Three and a Third were brickwalled really badly.

I then went back to my original WB CD of the album, ripped that, and it was NOT brickwalled! Whew!

Check out the difference in the screen cap below. This is the tune "This Song". Top one is the box version, lower is the WB CD 9 26612-2. One thing about upmixing, you really want to have an un-brickwalled source.

This Song Views.jpg

Back