DVD/DTS Poll Chevelle - This Kind Of Thinking (Could Do Us In) [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Chevelle - THIS KIND OF THINKING (COULD DO US IN)

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Really nice full mix in beautiful Dolby Digital 5.1 (ugh - Sony is missing the boat on this whole surround thing - this would probably sound much more open in SACD). Sounds a little compressed but it could just be the nature of the music. This is an alternative band from the Chicago area and they rock (and I really don't like alternative too much).

The mix uses all 5 main speakers to great effect. The music breaks down in several places and will wind up in the center speaker then explode back in to all channels. Other sounds and vocal effects will travel around or from front to back.

Contains a "Making Of.." featurette as well as a bonus audio track (stereo only only).

5.1 mix by Josh Wilbur. If you like driving alternative rock check this one out.

I give it an 8.

Last edited:
The multichannel mix is very good and would rate it 7. I agree with Bob Romano's assessment of the mix. The bonus video helps explain the meaning behind the songs and helps those who are not familiar with the band understand what they are about. I am not rating this disc because I do not like the "music". If I rated this disc based on the music, I would give it a 2. I suggest that anyone thinking about buying this disc that they sample a few clips at Amazon to see if this is the type of music you enjoy.

I actually really enjoyed the music on this disc. I had heard of the band but never heard their music until this disc. I would call their style hard "alternative" (gads, I hate that term) rock with a slight pop leaning. Very solid songwriting and production. The surround mix is quite good but I thought there was a little too much of a "hey, look at me, I'm in surround-sound" kind of feel that would pop up from time to time. I don't mind a gee-whiz mix as long as it is consistent, and this mix is certainly not consistent in its approach. Be that as it may, it is still quite enjoyable.

Of course the biggest bummer is the fact that the surround mix is in Dolby Digital. It just pains me to think that this is where surround-sound is heading. It so depressing to be handed two fantastic surround formats (DVD-A and SACD) only to have them pulled away and replaced with the very least desirable digital surround format available! It makes a grown man wanna cry! :(

Whatever... I give this release a 6. Coulda been an 8 but I'm going to dock this (any any other surround) two points just on principal since I detest DD.

Cai,

It could be worse than Dolby Digital. It could be released in SQ, QS, Stereo-4 or Dolby Surround. I believe that Sony is releasing in Dolby Digital because that format is the most widely available surround format. I do agree with you that it would be better to have SACD or DVD-A but I would rather have Dolby Digital than no surround at all.

tcdriver said:
It could be worse than Dolby Digital. It could be released in SQ, QS, Stereo-4 or Dolby Surround. I believe that Sony is releasing in Dolby Digital because that format is the most widely available surround format. I do agree with you that it would be better to have SACD or DVD-A but I would rather have Dolby Digital than no surround at all.

You will notice that I specified "digital surround format". The other formats you mention are decoded in the analog domain.

Yeah, I would rather have surround media in DD format than not at all, but as long as there are much better alternatives available, I'm going to keep on bitching. As far as I'm concerned, Sony has sold their consumers out. Stupid f*cks would rather use a piss-poor format than give in to the "other guys" (i.e. hi-rez or even mid-rez DVD-A, which can easily be supported by the DualDisc format).

DualDisc with any type of lossy surround content is a colossal waste, if you ask me. I used to have some respect for Sony, but as it stands they can kiss my ass. Dolby Digital, indeed.

:flame

I agree with Cai's assesment of a "gee-whiz" mix at times. Very enjoyable if you just like good hard rock and roll. I'll also take Dolby Digital over no surround at all.

i've always been a fan of Chevelle...so finding this in multi channel (very cheap i might add!) was great! agree with Bob Romano...love the mix and AQ is quite good for only being DD. also going with 8

Been meaning to post about this for a while but slipped thru the cracks as so much of this stuff does (I think this QQ Poll is about the only mention this disc gets online from a surround perspective? ) anyway.. I rather enjoyed it.. the mix is all the things Bob Romano said on here 10+ years ago, it's very good, great even.. check it out guys & girls, it's a sleeper you won't sleep through :upthumb

Been meaning to post about this for a while but slipped thru the cracks as so much of this stuff does (I think this QQ Poll is about the only mention this disc gets online from a surround perspective? ) anyway.. I rather enjoyed it.. the mix is all the things Bob Romano said on here 10+ years ago, it's very good, great even.. check it out guys & girls, it's a sleeper you won't sleep through :upthumb

Available now (used) for pennies.. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/This-Type-Thinking-Could-Do/dp/B0007SL33S

Another Fredblue pick bought for .33 plus shipping and tax. Thanks!
This will be another blind buy for me thanks to QQ and people like MR FB and MR Fizzy (just got those two live sq encoded cds you recommended)

This will be another blind buy for me thanks to QQ and people like MR FB and MR Fizzy (just got those two live sq encoded cds you recommended)
You'll have to throw up a post after you review them, let me know what you think ?:music

I went "all in" and grabbed the title that was "like new" for $4.33...and I just happen to be in a free trial of Prime Shipping...and the vendor I selected is using amazon...so I got mine for $4.33 in "like new" condition...Adam is helping the economy..

Back