Quad LP/Tape Poll Chicago: Chicago II [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Chicago II

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia GQ 33258 from 1974 (original stereo: Columbia GP 24--CS 9962 & CS 9977).

Side 1:

Movin' In
The Road
Poem for the People
In the Country

Side 2:

Wake Up Sunshine

Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon:

Make Me Smile
So Much to Say, So Much to Give
Anxiety's Moment
West Virginia Fantasies
Colour My World
To be Free
Now More Than Ever

Side 3:

Fancy Colours
25 or 6 to 4
Prelude
A.M. Mourning
P.M. Mourning
Memories of Love

Side 4:

It Better End Soon

1st Movement
2nd Movement
3rd Movement
4th Movement
Where Do We Go From Here

Chicago II quad.jpeg

ED :)

9. This may be their best album musically. The mix and the material are superb. Get the DVD-A and forget this. To me, every copy I've owned of this sounded like a prerecorded tape: kind of muffled in the high end. The DVD-A does not and I'd give that an 11. I've owned a cassette, SQ, 2 CD and DVD-A of this.

An '8' here, some pretty good songs--and "25 or 6 to 4" was the hardest rocking hit they'd ever have, pretty strong stuff courtesy of Mr. Kath, this may be his finest moment. Typically, some dross too, but the best still compensates for the lesser material and concepts.

And agreed, the DVD-A remix is the keeper, but the original mix is interesting to hear, though lacking the dynamic range of the later mix.

ED :)

I think this one is notable for all the alternate bits that made it in to the mix, so it's worth hearing for those reasons alone. Off the top of my head, these include an extra Peter Cetera vocal ad-lib on 'In The Country' (an extra 'got to be free-EE' before the instrumental section at the end), the extra lead guitar (and acoustic rhythm guitars during the solo) on '25 Or 6 To 4', the missing Terry Kath vocal ad-libs at the end of 'Ballet For A Girl in Buchannon', to name a few.

Anyone got a spare SQ copy of this? I'm working on picking up all of the Chicago SQs, and I've not seen this one that often.

Just listened to a Q8 transfer of this. Really great mix despite the kinda muffled sound. As mentioned above the acoustic rhythm guitars in the left rear in 25 or 6 to 4 are really cool.

How does the SQ vinyl version compare to the Q8? any major differences in the mix or the sound quality? I've only heard the Q8.

Back