DVD/DTS Poll Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Chicago - CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY

• Total voters
I've always taken delight in the song "I'm a Man" by the Spencer Davis Group. The Steve Winwood vocals are a tough act to follow. Many others have done respectful renditions however Chicago's version is definitely my favorite cover. Now to hear it with the awe-inspiring Quad mix is such a treat! What an excellent album IMO to show the attributes of a classic Quadraphonic mix.

I sincerely hope that Rhino does not stop with this title. I say, bring on the rest of what's hiding in the Quad vault. We'll buy 'em!

Dennis

I've always taken delight in the song "I'm a Man" by the Spencer Davis Group. The Steve Winwood vocals are a tough act to follow. Many others have done respectful renditions however Chicago's version is definitely my favorite cover. Now to hear it with the awe-inspiring Quad mix is such a treat! What an excellent album IMO to show the attributes of a classic Quadraphonic mix.

I sincerely hope that Rhino does not stop with this title. I say, bring on the rest of what's hiding in the Quad vault. We'll buy 'em!

Dennis

I love this disc and agree, more please. This classic rock mix is awesome. I cant hear it enough. What else can we get?

What a great mix, what a great album! I just love this quad mix, the surround fits the music perfectly. I've listened to this from begining to end 3 times so far and it only came on Friday! :)

As I think Bob pointed out, there is some mistracking on the last three tracks. Track 10 (labeled as 'Prologue') incorrectly includes both the songs 'Prologue' and 'Someday' as a single track, while track 11 (labeled as 'Someday') is really part of the song 'Liberation' - so the song 'Liberation' is actually spread out over tracks 11 and track 12.

Hey Rhino - MORE MORE MORE!!!!

I listened again today and I'm simply giddy. I love the last piano chord on "Questions 67 & 68" - how it rings forever a la Sgt. Pepper and then that infinitely-sustained beginning note of "Listen" jumps in.

This disc Makes Me Smile.

I love the last piano chord on "Questions 67 & 68" - how it rings forever a la Sgt. Pepper and then that infinitely-sustained beginning note of "Listen" jumps in.

That's pretty cool, but I think I like the wandering cowbell sounds on "Listen" even better! (y)

Thrilled to add this release to my collection, thank you Rhino. I give it a 10.

I wonder how many folks will get this who own the 5.1 systems with little speakers in the corners and a big sub-woofer which will not get any info from this disc if their receiver does not do the bass management.
When there is no "bass management" their set-up is wrong and it will not sound good with most music disc anyway. OTH the simplest "Home Theater sets" have a built-in cross-over to send the lows to the big(ger) box. Anyway this disc will not sound worse than most other discs on such set.

In this case, it probably would have been a good thing if they created a .1 channel from the 4 quad channels just to compensate for those with little speakers
No, no ,no :eek: this would cause more problems than it would solve. It is supposed to be an original darn Quad.

Last edited:
Listened this morning, with a huge grin on my face!! Wow!
Gets a 10 from me without reservation. Worth every penny.

I agree, I'm a Man and Liberation are may favorites.
I was very impressed with the packaging on this. No flimsy cardboard and a lined DVD sleeve was a nice touch.
I have no issue at all with the bass response.
It was quite nice to hear the "Quad" effect once again on a title that I did not already have.
A solid 8. (I am spoiled by Mr. Wilson)

Thanks Rhino! Keep them coming.:smokin

Just came in the mail!!

One interesting note on the "jacket" - it's a quadradisc (CD4) jacket. AFAIK, the Chicago's were all SQ encoded, being Columbia. I know II & V were.
Maybe Rhino called it quadradisc to signify it's discrete tracks.

Just came in the mail!!

One interesting note on the "jacket" - it's a quadradisc (CD4) jacket. AFAIK, the Chicago's were all SQ encoded, being Columbia. I know II & V were.
Maybe Rhino called it quadradisc to signify it's discrete tracks.

Yes. You can see in Post #1 above, where I just added some detailed scans, that they left the words CD-4 DISCRETE QUADRADISC on the old logo (yet there is obviously no CD-4 carrier in the disc). Another "error" in the graphics in the fact that there are DVD-AUDIO logo's on the cover and the disc itself. There is also no Dolby Digital logo anywhere. Maybe the original scope was a DVD-A with a DTS DVD track, and that got changed at the last minute to DTS/DD.

It would be sad if this was originally supposed to be a DVD-A and that portion got canned. Still, this is a great package. It sounds great and it is totally incredible that it even came out. Who would have thought?

I give it a solid "8". I am in agreement with Kazaam. I have four large speakers so can play quad perfectly fine. It sounds really good and is probably very true to the original source, just a little bass shy for me. The DVD-Audios of Chicago I would rate a 9. I am spoiled by modern surround (when done right) and I only gave the latest PT dvd-audio a 9 too.

In addition to the comments here we should add some approving remarks over on the Rhino site so they know we like it and want to buy more. :)

Mine arrived today and I've started listening to it. Mix and sound are great but can't get anything out of my subwoofers yet. I know the bass is there somewhere but the subs are silent. I'll keep after it even if I need to remaster it adding a .1 channel.

As I think Bob pointed out, there is some mistracking on the last three tracks. Track 10 (labeled as 'Prologue') incorrectly includes both the songs 'Prologue' and 'Someday' as a single track, while track 11 (labeled as 'Someday') is really part of the song 'Liberation' - so the song 'Liberation' is actually spread out over tracks 11 and track 12.

I sucked it into the computer and used Foobar2000 to fix the track issues. Doesn't fix the physical disc, but it'll now play great on the Squeezebox. :)

I finally received mine <in an envelope...> the mix is great, the content?...the best of any Chicago album, the sonics I am more than happy with. Coulda, shoulda been a DVD-A but this beats the hell out of the DTS conversion I had. I gave it a 9. John S.

Solid 9 for me. I only hope it's an initiative Rhino carries through with more releases of this ilk.

It sure does seem like for the price it should have been a DVD-A, but I think it sounds great and I consider it one of the all time great albums in spite of "Free Form Guitar". Sure hope they find some more quality titles to release.

K

Back