CHICAGO QUADIO - 2 Year Anniversary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
https://www.rhino.com/product/chicago-quadio-box

It was two years ago this Monday (6/17/2016) that the Chicago Quadio box came out. It's still available but getting harder to find. The new Quadio Doobies Box is coming this year, but two years is a long time between releases, no? It doesn't seem like it's been that long, but it has.

Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is? :51QQ

Seriously, three cheers to @ForagingRhino and the entire team at Rhino for putting together this wonder of a release!
I think it might be the best surround box set ever released, and it’s certainly the best collection of Quadraphonic material that has ever been assembled!
I’ll never forget the shock and excitement when @Bull Moose originally announced this release on the forum. I think that initial post got more likes than any other post in QQ history!
And when I actually received my box set, I realized that it could not be better than it already was. Immaculately remastered Quadraphonic sound on easy-to-use Blu-Ray audio discs (seriously, headless operation with auto-play surround sound should be a requirement of all Blu-Ray audio discs!)
Another plus was the mini-LP packaging with the original paraphernalia for each album, and all the Quad related logos and pictures was another nice surprise!

I know Rhino will manage to wow us again with the Doobie Brothers box set this year, but they have already set the bar so high, I’m not sure they can ever fully top this release, but they are welcome to try!

:)

It was two years ago this Monday (6/17/2016) that the Chicago Quadio box came out. It's still available but getting harder to find. The new Quadio Doobies Box is coming this year, but two years is a long time between releases, no? It doesn't seem like it's been that long, but it has.

25 or 6 to 4 :p

It was/is a great release. I wasn't into the band: mainly knew them for some later ballads. I checked out a whole bunch of samples from the era and was interested enough to get the set. Nice repro's of the sleeves, and no wastage down to trinkets/tat (I'll allow the mini t-shirt transfer ;) ) and double dipping with vinyl.

I bought Chicago Quadio in my first year of collecting surround sound. It remains my favorite.

A couple years ago I captured my feelings about this release:

Ode to Chicago Quadio
Listen. Music flows. Faint, reminiscent memories stir within.
This is Quadio.
A sharp opening from horns, guitar licks wrapped in smooth vocals. Familiar feelings awaken.
47 years since Chicago Transit Authority first touched these ears. Time disappears. Liberation from the present.
This is Quadio.
High school jazz band, cruising to 8-tracks in the car, dorm room stereo wars, political protest. Feeling free.
Flashbacks to hidden musical detail revealed in smoke filled rooms. My best friend Goofy yelling "crank it up". Fond memories of Love.
This is Quadio.
Nine golden disks, a magic elixir from Dr. Rhino. Unexpected, perfectly timed as I start my 60th year.
And something new for me. Enveloped by the surround technology of past and present, new adventures await in the enhanced clarity of the performance.
This is Quadio.
Does anybody really know what time it is?
I do. Time to listen. Time to make me smile.
Time to make me cry.
This is Quadio.
===============​

I was not a huge Chicago fan before this release but this release has made me a big fan as there is so much going on in their music and to get these all in this one package, just WOW what can one say, we all got such a fantastic musical feast with this one. Thankyou Rhino.

I saw Chicago live last year at our local fair and that was also very fun and see they are coming again this end of August, will try to check them out again if I can.

peter

Very nice job! (y)

I bought Chicago Quadio in my first year of collecting surround sound. It remains my favorite.

A couple years ago I captured my feelings about this release:

Ode to Chicago Quadio
Listen. Music flows. Faint, reminiscent memories stir within.
This is Quadio.
A sharp opening from horns, guitar licks wrapped in smooth vocals. Familiar feelings awaken.
47 years since Chicago Transit Authority first touched these ears. Time disappears. Liberation from the present.
This is Quadio.
High school jazz band, cruising to 8-tracks in the car, dorm room stereo wars, political protest. Feeling free.
Flashbacks to hidden musical detail revealed in smoke filled rooms. My best friend Goofy yelling "crank it up". Fond memories of Love.
This is Quadio.
Nine golden disks, a magic elixir from Dr. Rhino. Unexpected, perfectly timed as I start my 60th year.
And something new for me. Enveloped by the surround technology of past and present, new adventures await in the enhanced clarity of the performance.
This is Quadio.
Does anybody really know what time it is?
I do. Time to listen. Time to make me smile.
Time to make me cry.
This is Quadio.
===============​

Great, I've been converting my Doobie CD-4's for nothing (almost done), oh well can't complain about any Quadio box set! The Chicago set will be hard if not impossible to beat. I'm not as huge a fan of the Doobie Brothers as of (early) Chicago but I will definitely shell out for this set!!!!

Last edited:
Going down memory lane with this thread. I was trying to remember where I purchased this box at.....
I did find a cancelled order with Bull Moose. It was $139.74 shipped. Obviously, I got it cheaper somewhere.....I went through my Amazon US archive and it wasn't there.....went to ImportCD...but they only keep 12 months of purchase history....

Hmmmm. Must be a post somewhere....

Back