CHICAGO QUADIO - 2 Year Anniversary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy....defective discs.....I don't remember what the issue was.....but I do know that I didn't pursue getting replacements. o_O

Somebody over at SHF raised some issues...ugh...and Rhino had to press some discs...another reason why companies are reluctant to issue these titles on discs...and now if there is any small problem with a disc you are going to have those that demand a replacement...

Somebody over at SHF raised some issues...ugh...and Rhino had to press some discs...another reason why companies are reluctant to issue these titles on discs...and now if there is any small problem with a disc you are going to have those that demand a replacement...
I sort of remember now...but I didn't want the bother since it was on the stereo layer. Which.....I've never even listened to yet. As long as the Quad layer is good...and it does sound great....I'm happy.

I think it is entirely a personal choice, whether to opt in for replacement discs, when such situations arise. I don't see it as noble to abstain, however (and neither evil to participate).
Since Rhino produced them, what is the point of allowing the discs to possibly go undispersed? They were very nice and polite about it.
A simple email and two discs showed up in the mail shortly after. Easy as pie.
Whether those who initially squawked about the defects were being petty or not, I don't feel it's my place to judge. I definitely complained about the defects on Rush - Snakes & Arrows MVI, back in the day, but SRO/Anthem refused to correct the glitch. Yes, I primarily bought Quadio for the multichannel, but others might well not have. I didn't even know what MC was when I bought Snakes & Arrows upon release.
Besides, there are times when comparing MC to stereo or mono is useful or enjoyable.

I sort of remember now...but I didn't want the bother since it was on the stereo layer. Which.....I've never even listened to yet. As long as the Quad layer is good...and it does sound great....I'm happy.

I think this replacement disc craze is a symptom of an underlying cultural situation.....from the very first time I was old enough to listen to and appreciate music...there have been mistakes made on recordings...it happens...it's part of life..or it least it was that way until people started to complain about it....I would imagine that most of these same people that cry and moan about these "errors" belong to the same core group that thinks the music costs too much...and can't figure out why companies don't want to use discs anymore for their music....it's just this insatiable need to correct things...even on the forum...voting is now "correctable"...even though it means nothing...this compulsion to be "right" has even found it's way on here...in sports we just have to get it right with endless replays...I stopped following the NFL years ago but still get a laugh out of these idiots spending 10 minutes to determine what is a "catch" after a ton of reviews...

The interesting segment to view is electronics....when a tube tv was built...it was a finished product...now the TVs are sort of beta projects...with numerous firmware "updates"...sometimes this involves new features...but sadly...more often it's to fix a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place if it was built the right way....and when blu ray players came out...even though they offered superior video and audio....the firmware updates were frequent....and as flawed as the DVD format was...it didn't require "updates"...it just amuses me that everything has to be "fixed" and people just have to be right all the time:geek:

How about when there is a problem with something online and you call it to someone's attention...they fix the problem...and that should be enough right...but NO...they want you to fill out a survey...how did I/we do?...did we correct the problem..and on and on ….and on:whistle:

Last edited:
I think also, it's a function of a bunch of fanaticals...who love hi-rez and or multi-channel. We have tools.....and most of us know how to use them. So, you have a bunch of bored, crazy fans......sitting in their easy chairs.....ripping their music with all the tools...and oh boy. Without the tools...would we even know? Or have the tools made us all hiper-sensitive.? (duh)

So......

I do prefer to have the tools...but sheesh! The left front channel is .04 decibels louder than the right....or....the center channel is 2 decibels louder than it should be compared to other releases. lmao.

I'm guilty as well. But......generally...I don't let it spoil the fun. :danceDo I? Hmmmmm.

Whether those who initially squawked about the defects were being petty or not, I don't feel it's my place to judge.

They were sold a defective product, so it's hard for me to criticize their criticism.

It doesn't seem a stretch to assume a greater than zero number of sets were sold to those who are both bit-counters and stereo-only "purists".

As you say, Rhino absolutely did the right thing in the end, so everybody won. Well, everybody but the "You'll take what you're given and like it!" crowd, I suppose.

Am I correct in remembering that there were two runs of this release? I seem to remember it going out of stock for awhile and then coming back into stock. I don’t recall if I was told this was a second run, or I just leaped to that conclusion.

Back