Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the December 2016 issue of The Absolute Sound reviewer Andrew Quint does a pretty in depth review of the Rhino Chicago Quadio boxset but what caught my attention was his opinion NOT to discard the 2003 Rhino DVD~A 5.1 remixes of Chicago II and V, which in his opinion, better the QUAD BD~As.

In his words: "But the two Chicago DVD~As suggest that a more musically compelling surround sound experience can be devised. In our reverence for the audio past, we shouldn't fail to acknowledge the possibilities for improvement as technology and aesthetic valuations move forward."

I still have those DVD~As and therefore perhaps explains why there is talk of a Steve Wilson 5.1 remix of some of Chicago's former material.

In the December 2016 issue of The Absolute Sound reviewer Andrew Quint does a pretty in depth review of the Rhino Chicago Quadio boxset but what caught my attention was his opinion NOT to discard the 2003 Rhino DVD~A 5.1 remixes of Chicago II and V, which in his opinion, better the QUAD BD~As.

In his words: "But the two Chicago DVD~As suggest that a more musically compelling surround sound experience can be devised. In our reverence for the audio past, we shouldn't fail to acknowledge the possibilities for improvement as technology and aesthetic valuations move forward."

I still have those DVD~As and therefore perhaps explains why there is talk of a Steve Wilson 5.1 remix of some of Chicago's former material.

Was he running a quad setup with four full range speakers for the Quadio or was he using bass management with a sub?

You are right, Swami! (y)

LOL!!!

That would be a good treatment...Swami Alberto...heh heh heh...or better yet..Swami krunch!!!

Yeah I think the people who handled these were quite reckless..there are scrapes in a a few of mine...a usual pet peeve of mine is using Scotch "Crystal" tape to "protect" the spines (I do that to all LPs and CD/DVD/SACD/BD booklets), so I noticed quite a few imperfections.

But, overall, it's a very enjoyable experience...I'm on III right now...I had a copy of the CTA Rhino disc, but this cleans the floor with those!

Sometimes I find it too cheesy , and sometimes WAY too similar to BS+T, but I'm really enjoying this...amazing how bands used to "churn out LPs" at that rate (these LPs are from 68 to 76! and we don't even get "IV")...

What I really miss, along with several of our mates , is a booklet...and BTW, there's a disc that has some TOTALLY ILLEGIBLE LYRICS on the cover...I forget which one it is!

Overall, it's quite a good value...

LOL!!!
What I really miss, along with several of our mates , is a booklet...and BTW, there's a disc that has some TOTALLY ILLEGIBLE LYRICS on the cover...I forget which one it is!
I am glad I did not have to pay for a fricking book. Those books are alway using type that is way too small designed by young punks with good eyesight. Then they print them on a black page with blue type making them even harder to read. All the lyrics are available online and I can increase the type size and color until I can actually read them without getting a headache. I buy my CDs to listen to, not for a miserable reading experience.

I didn't see any booklet on either....are you sure there were any? if there were they were either on tha Jap version...
Please upload them if you can-and if there are any!

I am glad I did not have to pay for a fricking book. Those books are alway using type that is way too small designed by young punks with good eyesight. Then they print them on a black page with blue type making them even harder to read. All the lyrics are available online and I can increase the type size and color until I can actually read them without getting a headache. I buy my CDs to listen to, not for a miserable reading experience.

Fortunately, although I have -8 myopia on both eyes and my right eye is going to hell in a handbasket up close when wearing glasses , I can still see quite well up close with both eyes sans my glasses....
and
YES
you are absolutely right, but the small, sorry MINUSCULE print has been there ever since the CD age started....but the illegible one is just BAD QUALITY CONTROL, which leads me to believe there was none or negligible QC......

Fortunately, although I have -8 myopia on both eyes and my right eye is going to hell in a handbasket up close when wearing glasses , I can still see quite well up close with both eyes sans my glasses....
and
YES
you are absolutely right, but the small, sorry MINUSCULE print has been there ever since the CD age started....but the illegible one is just BAD QUALITY CONTROL, which leads me to believe there was none or negligible QC......

OK, just 1 off topic comment...about small print.

YES!! Not sure which disc I was looking at yesterday, but there was a booklet inside and I absolutely could not read most of it. On top of just small, it was some God-awful font that made the letters unrecognizable to me. I'm like... WTF!

I completed listening to I, II and III last night. Plus, I listened to V this morning. I plan on a listening session in chronological order before I cast my vote and even attempt the Poll Thread. So far, I love I, II & III. Not so happy with V. I'm very familiar with I and II overall having played them to death over the years.

Still debating whether to bother asking for the replacement discs. I really have no plans to ever play the stereo mixes of these. Still, I paid a lot for the set and it should be correct and complete... :confused:

Still debating whether to bother asking for the replacement discs. I really have no plans to ever play the stereo mixes of these. Still, I paid a lot for the set and it should be correct and complete... :confused:

There is no downside to getting the replacement discs. They are already made, and the original discs would be good backups to have just in case… ;)

There is no downside to getting the replacement discs. They are already made, and the original discs would be good backups to have just in case… ;)

So, which discs have the flawed stereo? I was an early adopter, so I'm sure mine has the flawed ones. :)
I dunno if I would bother to swap them out...but who knows?

So, which discs have the flawed stereo? I was an early adopter, so I'm sure mine has the flawed ones. :)
I dunno if I would bother to swap them out...but who knows?

Just do it! It should not take more than a few mins to write an email (with mailing address) and send proof of purchase to Rhino and get the discs.
:)

Back