• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I probably have the same decode ("Oblio98")- Absolutely blows away my SQ, so kudos to the converter.....
Thanks! :smokin

That was done with AA and an early SQ script. There are notes about it somewhere in the bowels of QQ. :yikes

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Thanks! :smokin

That was done with AA and an early SQ script. There are notes about it somewhere in the bowels of QQ. :yikes

I don't get it. How does that work? You simply say:

Hi, my name is XXX, I'm an alcoholic and I'll decode this Quad LP with a SQ script.

Well, whatever works I guess...

keywhiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I was just reading the latest Sound & Vision and there was an article in there about Best Buy dumping CDs, and Target changing their deal with the record companies such that they only pay for the CDs they actually sell. Wow. Things are looking pretty bleak for brick and mortar CD purchasing. I hope that these new policies don't impact the sales of this new upcoming Quadio box, as we need to show that the market still exists for stuff like this to get future releases.

At least we'll always have the internet sellers like Amazon, and................amazon, and ..........................amazon. :eek:
Did places like Best Buy and Target ever carry the Chicago box? I certainly never saw it in my local stores.

Is any of the stuff we buy really “brick and mortar” store type products anyway? I never see anything there anymore but the latest pop or country titles and a few greatest hits things

vinylguy4

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I did see the Chicago box in an independent LA area record store. Price was reasonable.
I already had one so didn't buy it. Next time I went to that store it was gone.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
They could be waiting until the Chicago hits a certain mark in sales before bringing the next one out.

I'm really glad the Aretha sold out and they were not forced to blow them out as cutouts at the "Family Dollar" stores.

This stuff can sell slow so I can easily see them going xtra slow as a normal precaution.

It's all good I think.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
They could be waiting until the Chicago hits a certain mark in sales before bringing the next one out.

I'm really glad the Aretha sold out and they were not forced to blow them out as cutouts at the "Family Dollar" stores.

This stuff can sell slow so I can easily see them going xtra slow as a normal precaution.

It's all good I think.

I thought the Chicago set already sold out its initial pressing?

Which brings up the questions of how many did they press and sell? And is that target a viable goal for any future quad release?

I would think the Doobies set (which would be smaller and presumably less expensive) would easily sell as many copies.

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I thought the Chicago set already sold out its initial pressing

Which brings up the questions of how many did they press and sell? And is that target a viable goal for any future quad release?

I would think the Doobies set (which would be smaller and presumably less expensive) would easily sell as many copies.
I don't think the Chicago set has anything to do with the later release date of this title... the decision had already been made to release it at an earlier date...

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I thought the Chicago set already sold out its initial pressing?

It did sell out its initial pressing - and another pressing was approved.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
What condition was it in $$? One sealed copy just sold on eBay for around $85
Some guy over at SHF bought hundreds of them - for investment! :rolleyes:
You might be able to find the thread over there, but that was probably him. Not sure it will work out too well for him though. Most folks interested in the set bought them first hand.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
Some guy over at SHF bought hundreds of them - for investment! :rolleyes:
You might be able to find the thread over there, but that was probably him. Not sure it will work out too well for him though. Most folks interested in the set bought them first hand.
I remember that thread! Apparently he was convinced there would not be a second pressing and he would be able to charge premium prices for the set. Sadly, that doesn't seem to have worked out for him. :)

Last edited:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I remember that thread! Apparently he was convinced there would not be a second pressing and he would be able to charge premium prices for the let. Sadly, that doesn't seem to have worked out for him. :)
Well, things like this are always a crap shoot. On the surface it might have been worthwhile, the issue was the initial purchase price was high. If, for sake of example, someone bought 100 copies of "Spectrum" from AF, the investment cost would have been far less, but you would never guess that title would end up being highly sought after. If you bought 100 copies of the AF ES Christmas SACD, you'd be declared, well, a moron! :)

I never have an issue with someone "hoarding", as it's their risk - and reward. They also do a service twice - they keep the sales high for the initial product, and they provide the item to others when it's no longer available - and if it's at a premium, well, so be it. I've bought stuff at high premiums before and that's the way of the world. Supply and demand. AF did it themselves at the end!

As for the guy at SHF - well, I am sure he'll get his money back at some point.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
Well, things like this are always a crap shoot. On the surface it might have been worthwhile, the issue was the initial purchase price was high. If, for sake of example, someone bought 100 copies of "Spectrum" from AF, the investment cost would have been far less, but you would never guess that title would end up being highly sought after. If you bought 100 copies of the AF ES Christmas SACD, you'd be declared, well, a moron! :)

I never have an issue with someone "hoarding", as it's their risk - and reward. They also do a service twice - they keep the sales high for the initial product, and they provide the item to others when it's no longer available - and if it's at a premium, well, so be it. I've bought stuff at high premiums before and that's the way of the world. Supply and demand. AF did it themselves at the end!

As for the guy at SHF - well, I am sure he'll get his money back at some point.
Probably. He just may have to wait quite a while as it doesn't seem to be selling out as quickly as the first pressing. Selling it for $85? I guess if he was able to get it at such a low price (if it's him), but that seems below wholesale to me.

I don't really do the 'investment' thing, but I DID inadvertently buy two copies of "Birds of Fire", so I'm waiting to see if it goes up a bit more before letting go of the one I still have sealed. Not the MOST in demand AF Quad, but I guess at least I didn't buy two copies of "Nightbirds". :)

The Rang

It will be interesting what the cost of this will be. I totally do not remember what I paid for Chicago Quadio, though I was an early adopter and I'm sure I got a very decent price. So, per disk, how will they compare? :)
I recall paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $110 for Chicago from ImportCDs. Retail shows as $160

That was 10 discs so I’m thinking $60? $70? on the street