Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were 4 Quadraphonic albums released by the Doobie Brothers (and as shown in my avatar… ;) )

"Toulouse Street"
"The Captain & Me"
"What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits"
"Stampede"

:)

The holy grail of the Doobie Brothers albums. I'm still procrastinating on Chicago Quadio, but for me, this one would be a no-brainer.

WORD out there, is that the 2016 remasters are compressed. If I recall, when Warners released the YES Stereo SACDs they were met with disastrous results. I pre~ordered the BEST of Doobies SACDs [37 cuts on 2 SACDs] as an alternative [and the price is certainly right] but I wish Warner Japan had released the four existing QUAD/5.1 Doobie remixes, as well.

The post you quoted is referring to the Chicago Quadio box set, not the upcoming batch of Doobie Bros Japanese SACDs…

my favourite of the lot was chicago viii in quad...it sounds really good in quad and it was always a hard quad title to get..and I wasnt expecting it to sound as good as it does in the box set.

I requested replacement disks back in October. I got an initial reply from Rhino stating that they had run out and were pressing more. After that I heard nothing for months.

Two weeks ago I sent a follow up email asking if any progress was being made on the replacements. I received this response yesterday:

Thank you for your email.
I have put your replacement discs in the mail today.
I apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Dr. Rhino

I requested replacement disks back in October. I got an initial reply from Rhino stating that they had run out and were pressing more. After that I heard nothing for months.

Two weeks ago I sent a follow up email asking if any progress was being made on the replacements. I received this response yesterday:

Thank you for your email.
I have put your replacement discs in the mail today.
I apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Dr. Rhino

I got the same email about a week after I requested my disc. Since I didn't really think it was late, the form email explains it.

I received mine today. Entire turn around time was just a little over a week.

Like I explained previously, I requested mine in October. I just received them the other day. It appears the second batch of replacements have been pressed. Get em while you can.

My replacement discs arrived today. Looks like importcds has some additional box sets currently available.

vinylguy4

I made mkv's from the blu-rays when I originally got them, but today I figured I would downsample them from 192kHz to 96kHz and convert them all to flac. I compared them and cannot hear any difference whatsoever, and if my math is correct, look at the amazing size reduction for what sounds absolutely identical to me:

blu-rays - 72.6GB
mkvs - 45.2GB
flacs - 19.9GB

That's a savings of over 25GB over the mkvs and a whopping almost 53GB savings over the blu-rays! :yikes

I was going to write a blog post this weekend, but I got busy and forgot, so I'll say it here:

This past weekend marked the one year anniversary of the release of the QUADIO box set!
Has there ever been a more phenomenal Quadraphonic release?
(I honestly don't think so, but feel free to disagree…) ;)

I've enjoyed revisiting this set recently, and I still have great hope that Warner Music and Rhino Records will issue more Quadraphonic mixes in due course, especially the 4 amazing Quadraphonic mixes for the Doobie Brothers!

Hope Springs Eternal!

:)

Back