• 3:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters

polmac

I did a search on this site which came back ‘no results’, so now I’m going to mention Leonid and Friends. They’re a group of Russian musicians who do covers, mainly of Chicago songs. Close your eyes and you’d think they’re the real thing. They seem to tour the USA quite often, so I feel you’re a Chicago fan and they play near you, they’re worth checking out. They’re incredible.
Ps sorry if they have in fact been discussed previously, but I’m an infrequent visitor and haven’t scrolled through every page.

proufo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
"Were" seems to be right. I wrote rhino asking about them and got no reply.
Nope. I jumped the gun.

Got a reply from Rhino:

"In the meantime, please reply with the following information (if not already provided):

— your name & shipping address

— an image of your defective item and/or store receipt..."

This last (image of your defective item) means that if you get it from an (the) ebay seller they will honor the replacement.

Thanks Rhino!!!

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
Weren't the issues on one of the earlier ones and the corresponding tracks on the best of? I remember getting replacement discs, but I can't remember checking them!
Yes. For whatever reason, what was side 2 of the Chicago (II) LP — “Wake Up Sunshine” and “Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon” are in mono. On the Greatest Hits disc, “Make Me Smile” and “Colour My World”, both from the “Ballet”, are in mono.

A bit odd since “Make Me Smile” is an edit from two different tracks. So it appears that rather than using the original stereo master for the Greatest Hits album they recreated it from the stereo masters they used for the other albums. Including recreating this ‘single’ edit.

salsdali

I feel like a kid again cranking 25 or 6 to 4

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Dancing lights againnst the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4

WOW, I've never even heard A Hit By Varèse

Holy shiz

this is quad like it should be heard

I wasn't a quad fan back in the day, thought it was superfluous to stereo but Holy Shitz it's quad like this on a proper system that has radically changed my mind.

Beginnings and I'm a Man possibly the greatest quad ever laid down???

the 192kHz doesn't hurt either ;) :p

BTW this song (Beginnings) failed to chart on its initial release. It just shows IMO how much critics, etc know about music (and especially about surround later on when it became a thing).

It's funny, things did exist in 1974 but the world didn't know it, but I (and you) did in my basement.

and if anyone didn't get the Southern California Purples reference to severely heavy Cali pot that puts you on your ass well, you needs to be smoking better weed lolz

Last edited:

humprof

Not sure this has convinced me to re-think the least-played album in my box--god, I still remember the horrific letdown when I brought home the LP the week of its release and dropped the needle for the first time--but it's still a good read. And I didn't know about those outtakes/bonus tracks on the 2002 stereo remasters. Makes me want to track them down, especially for any other rejects from the Chicago VII sessions.

Last edited:

Fourplay

QQ Supporter
Not sure this has convinced me to re-think the least-played album in my box--god, I still remember the horrific letdown when I brought home the LP the week of its release and dropped the needle for the first time--but it's still a good read. And I didn't know about those outtakes/bonus tracks on the 2002 stereo remasters. Makes me want to track them down, especially for any other rejects from the Chicago VII sessions.

And three of the five recommended tracks are in the Quadio Box. I'll try it!

‘HIDEAWAY’
‘LONG TIME NO SEE’
‘AIN’T IT BLUE?’

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
And three of the five recommended tracks are in the Quadio Box. I'll try it!

‘HIDEAWAY’
‘LONG TIME NO SEE’
‘AIN’T IT BLUE?’
I did not know that they are in the Quadio Box. Heh, heh. Shows how much I listen to this one.

humprof

Sorry if this has been posted before on another thread. Fascinating read with all sorts of insights into the band's early history and the composition, recording, and mixing of the band's first two albums. Who knew Roy Halee was initially on board to engineer CTA?

salsdali

I feel like a kid again cranking 25 or 6 to 4

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Dancing lights againnst the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4

WOW, I've never even heard A Hit By Varèse

Holy shiz

this is quad like it should be heard

I wasn't a quad fan back in the day, thought it was superfluous to stereo but Holy Shitz it's quad like this on a proper system that has radically changed my mind.

Beginnings and I'm a Man possibly the greatest quad ever laid down???

the 192kHz doesn't hurt either ;) :p

^this

and during Southern California Purples he sings

I am he is you are he is you are me
and we are all together

which is a cool nod to
I Am The Walrus - The Beatles

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
and wow, Someday (August 29, 1968), I was 6 months old and how appropriate it is for this moment in time, less than a month before a momentous election.

and I clearly remember leaving the dentist to go to the park and hearing Saturday in the Park on the most beautiful summer Colorado day playing on someone's radio and it "syncing" so well (this was before iPhone kids;))

I was 10 years old and still remember that moment 🤔 ;)🤟:cool:

I'm so close to voting a 10 (I haven't voted yet) but feel there is just something missing (I think Mastering compression (like a slight muffling)<-- is that a "thing" to all you pros?) that wants me to vote a 9.5 but can only vote a 9.

What should I do about this desperate, tumultuous dilemma????????

Last edited:

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
What should I do about this desperate, tumultuous dilemma????????
Go back and listen to the redbook CD's of CTA and Chicago II, especially the redbook version of 25 or 6 to 4. That will tell you what to vote here.

[Edit: And listen to the redbook of Beginnings and then go back to the Quadio. That will also clear your head of any confusion.]

gvl_guy

I tried to do a search for this in the group but nothing came up. It might have been answered already. But--
How did Chicago, which was on Columbia Records for the life of the band, end up having this box Blu-ray set issued on Rhino, which is Warner? 🤔

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I tried to do a search for this in the group but nothing came up. It might have been answered already. But--
How did Chicago, which was on Columbia Records for the life of the band, end up having this box Blu-ray set issued on Rhino, which is Warner? 🤔
The group signed their catalog over to Rhino (Warner) a few years ago.