HiRez Poll Chicago - QUADIO [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Chicago - QUADIO

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
Oh man, I feel cheated out!!!!
Where was this cool sticker????

I certainly don't see it anywhere---

Fear not, oh Kap'n. It's there BEHIND the card that's on the back of the box under the celoflame! Slide out the card and voila!

Oh man, I feel cheated out!!!!
Where was this cool sticker????

I certainly don't see it anywhere---

Funny, cause I was wondering why there were no credits regarding the transfers, etc. and I was gonna mention that I wouldn't have been surprised if it was someone form this Forum...I don't see anyone, but the Craig guy certainly sounds familiar...

Really really great transfer and yes, I can hear a but of a smiley EQ going on and some compreshin' going on...

Anybody know anything about this?
(any spectrum analyzer comparisons?)

Think Craig Anderson may be ringing a bell as he was formerly the 'Craig' in Craigman Digital?
They were the people who did the authoring for Warner's DVD-Audio discs, plus afaik later UMe DVD-A's of stuff like Rush Moving Pictures & Sector boxes, Lynyrd Skynyrd Southern Surroundings, etc. (Maybe Neil might know these guys?)

ps. I know you didn't ask for my 2 cents on it but just wanna chip in briefly, would personally rather some EQ & compression potentially employed (mild/gentle of course... if that's indeed been applied in mastering these Quads for Blu-ray and not inherent in the original Quad mixes as on the 4-ch master tapes themselves) than listen to the SQ LPs or Q8s again anytime soon.. to me the surround sound quality on these BD-A's is leaps and bounds ahead of the legacy SQ record and Q8 tape alternatives, even if there has been some remastering done to the Quads for this set (which we don't know for sure, never having heard the Quad master tapes, they may be straight flat t/fers from the Quad masters that had the kind of EQ etc you're picking up on applied to them already?) :)

Fear not, oh Kap'n. It's there BEHIND the card that's on the back of the box under the celoflame! Slide out the card and voila!

Wow, I'd have never thought of looking there; thank you Jon!!!..yes, it's there...I even printed out the one you posted and stuck it in the box yesterday!!!!!
(I'm a bit "anal" concerning my boxes and booklets , so I very seldom take anything out of the cellophane!!!!!) :mad:@:

ps. I know you didn't ask for my 2 cents on it but just wanna chip in briefly, would personally rather some EQ & compression potentially employed (mild/gentle of course... if that's indeed been applied in mastering these Quads for Blu-ray and not inherent in the original Quad mixes as on the 4-ch master tapes themselves) than listen to the SQ LPs or Q8s again anytime soon.. to me the surround sound quality on these BD-A's is leaps and bounds ahead of the legacy SQ record and Q8 tape alternatives, even if there has been some remastering done to the Quads for this set (which we don't know for sure, never having heard the Quad master tapes, they may be straight flat t/fers from the Quad masters that had the kind of EQ etc you're picking up on applied to them already?) :)

Oh HECK , YES!!! Compared to the SQ LPs, the sound quality is WAY superior!!!
I totally agree with you...whoever did the mastering did a stellar job; compression and EQ are the two effects that should be as transparent as possible and this person did this flawlessly.

And , yes, I'm positive that these effects were applied..a good comparison would be the Quad SACDs from SH, they sound like FLAT transfers, at least all of the ones I've heard. Even the Jeff Beck "Wired" sounds like a flat transfer, which I am NOT against, mind you...
Medium comparisons aside (BDs sound much better than those Quad SACDs, at least in my system...there are other SACDs that sound superb, at least as good as a BD), take into consideration the tapes' age and how they would stack up to a 20 year old master tape...

I've been playing the first disc and enjoying it (but only around 33 mins in so far) and there was so much brass and so little vocal that I had to recallibrate the balance, and sure enough the my rear speakers were set somewhat higher than they should have been. Great mix and such a different sounding band to the more familiar ballads. (I also discovered the quad diagram under the card yesterday - I'm not a keep in celophane kind of guy and was surprised when I saw the rear track listing was only stuck on.)

not sure where to post this but CNN is airing Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago on Jan 1 at 8 PM EST

Now More Than Ever was directed and edited by Peter Pardini.

In addition to the premiere broadcast, NOW MORE THAN EVER: The History of Chicago, will also stream live for subscribers via CNNgo beginning Jan. 1 (at www.CNN.com/go and via CNNgo apps for AppleTV, Roku, Amazon Fire, and iPad). The film will also be available the day after the premiere (Monday, Jan. 2) on demand via cable/satellite systems and CNNgo. NOW MORE THAN EVER will also encore on CNN/U.S. on Saturday, Jan. 7 at 8:00pm and 10:00pm Eastern.

http://www.chicagotheband.com/news/news-main.html#Now-More-Than-Ever-The-History-of-Chicago-on-CNN

http://www.cnn.com/shows/history-of-chicago

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3807496/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

Last edited:
not sure where to post this but CNN is airing Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago on Jan 1 at 8 PM EST

Is anyone else receiving 6.1 DD (48kHz) from CNN because I am? Even (some) of the commercials are in 6.1 and now that I think about it I've seen Anthony Bourdain on CNN in 6.1 also. I just find it odd that CNN broadcasts in 6.1.

I'm gonna stream this later on on CNNgo.com and see what format they stream in.

I've finally finished the first album, and I like the mix a lot. I also like the way the discs are authored to play automatically in quad, and in general to take care of HDMI/receiver lag it seems. Free Form Guitar was a bit of a tricky one: equal parts impressive and challenging to listen to! I liked the way that after the track finished when it seems like the ear drums (or whatever the specific part is) are trying to open like the iris after walking in from bright sunlight the next track starts rear left and has a nice sound and groove. I'm not so bothered about the jam at the end of the album, but I liked around three quarters of the content.

Last edited:
I've finally finished the first album, and I like the mix a lot. I also like the way the discs are authored to play automatically in quad, and in general to take care if HDMI/receiver lag it seems. Free Form Guitar was a bit of a tricky one: equal parts impressive and challenging to listen to! I liked the way that after the track finished when it seems like the ear drums (or whatever the specific part is) are trying to open like the iris after walking in from bright sunlight the next track starts rear left and has a nice sound and groove. I'm not so bothered about the jam at the end of the album, but I liked around three quarters of the content.

Whoa! then , better get ready for a WILD RIDE!!!
The more you progress into the box , the more you'll be amazed, or at least very amused...

Regarding CTA, it's all about context during that time...yes, there is a LOT of BS&T (I am not very well versed on BS&T's discography but I've heard enough to ...opine)
BUT
BS&T did not have the great advantage of having so many great singers in the group; especially the soaring harmonies by some guy called Peter Cetera,
AND
they did not have a guitar player that even Hendrix said played better than he did (whether he was joking or not is up to debate, but, if he said it , he must have been extremely impressed)

(BTW, I think that "Free Form Guitar" is sensational)

Last edited:
My Quadio turned up today - I'd pre-ordered it in May!

I haven't listened to it yet, but what a package, its fantastic, so well done :wave. So Rhino lets have all the Quad albums by all those great bands you've got lurking in the vaults put out like this :51banana:

..... I suppose I'll have to try and get hold of the corrected discs now though!

I haven't listened to it yet, but what a package, its fantastic, so well done :wave. So Rhino lets have all the Quad albums by all those great bands you've got lurking in the vaults put out like this :51banana:

..... I suppose I'll have to try and get hold of the corrected discs now though!

I've been waiting for replacement disks since October. I received this email on November 14:

I apologize for the tardiness of this follow up email.
We are currently printing up another batch of replacement blu-ray discs.
As soon as they become available, we will send out your replacement discs.
I am very sorry for the delay and thank you for your continued patience.
Dr. Rhino

Meanwhile..spin the Quads and prepare to be amazed!!!!!
Merry Xmas, Happy New Year and Happy Three Kings Day (Jan 6th)

The more you progress into the box , the more you'll be amazed, or at least very amused...

Regarding CTA, it's all about context during that time...yes, there is a LOT of BS&T (I am not very well versed on BS&T's discography but I've heard enough to ...opine)
BUT
BS&T did not have the great advantage of having so many great singers in the group; especially the soaring harmonies by some guy called Peter Cetera,
AND
they did not have a guitar player that even Hendrix said played better than he did (whether he was joking or not is up to debate, but, if he said it , he must have been extremely impressed)

(BTW, I think that "Free Form Guitar" is sensational)

Chicago does NOT sound like BS+T. If you want to find something even remotely in the middle it would be LIGHTHOUSE from Canada. Makes me cringe when people compare Chicago to BS+T just because of the Horns. BLASPHEMY!! LOL

Chicago does NOT sound like BS+T. If you want to find something even remotely in the middle it would be LIGHTHOUSE from Canada. Makes me cringe when people compare Chicago to BS+T just because of the Horns. BLASPHEMY!! LOL

1st post 1st post :banana::banana::banana:

It took a Chicago sounds like BS&Ts post to do it.

Welcome aboard Billion.......altho me see ya been hiding in the shadows:banana:

Must make more Chicago comparisons.?...ummm Chicago sounds like hmmm Mighty Mighty Bosstones........Chicago could have used a male dance guy in their act too tho.:mad:@:

Snood only kidding Billion.....good to see ya posting:banana:

1st post 1st post :banana::banana::banana:

It took a Chicago sounds like BS&Ts post to do it.

Welcome aboard Billion.......altho me see ya been hiding in the shadows:banana:

Must make more Chicago comparisons.?...ummm Chicago sounds like hmmm Mighty Mighty Bosstones........Chicago could have used a male dance guy in their act too tho.:mad:@:

Snood only kidding Billion.....good to see ya posting:banana:

I can only be pushed so far Snood. He crossed the line of good taste and ears...time for me to ROAR!! LOL Crawlin back under the rock now. Give me a Wake up call in 2018 OK?

I think Chicago reminds me of BS&T. Reminds me of Lighthouse too.

To my ears they absolutely, at times remind me of BS&T. I don't know how you could think otherwise. Even some of the more somber, vocal'd songs with the horns...both bands had that and I think it's a legit comparison.

Hey, cool, to each their own!!!

You are entitled to your opinion , same way I'm entitled to mine.

What do you think makes BS&T so different to Chicago?

Not just of because of the brass section and arrangements, would you care to elaborate? That way we all learn and the appreciate each group in a different light....

Well that's bearing out already. I wasn't so keen on the swing type jazz feel in this album and then around half way through side 2 I started enjoying some stuff, I really liked Prelude and the Mourning tracks, and the vocals on Memories of Love are so well recorded! A great groove kicks off side 4, and I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Hey, cool, to each their own!!!

You are entitled to your opinion , same way I'm entitled to mine.

What do you think makes BS&T so different to Chicago?

Not just of because of the brass section and arrangements, would you care to elaborate? That way we all learn and the appreciate each group in a different light....

I also think they sound somewhat similar, but its just the presence of the horns that give that impression. Beyond that, Chicago albums seem to have more of a rock edge to them when compared with BS&T. Chicago also tends to be more political. BS&T makes me think of a jazz band with rock influences. Chicago reminds me of a rock band with horns, just as they have often described themselves. This only applies to the material before Hot Streets. After that the idea of Chicago being a serious rock band went down hill quickly.

Back