HiRez Poll Chicago - QUADIO [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Chicago - QUADIO

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
Spoiler alert...he isn't set up for quad.
As is surely the case with many a Quadio owner.
The experience of adjusting my couch position, and the increased enjoyment of listening to quadio that resulted truly has me thinking about installing a dedicated quad setup...

Last edited:
As is surely the case with many a Quadio owner.
The experience of adjusting my couch position, and the increased enjoyment of listening to quadio that resulted truly has me thinking about installing a dedicated quad setup...
By all means, do!

I remember reading here that there are issues with the stereo tracks in IX, and no fix was provided (IIRC).

Of course, ahem, we don't care as we are all Quaddies in this bus. (y)

Weren't the issues on one of the earlier ones and the corresponding tracks on the best of? I remember getting replacement discs, but I can't remember checking them!

I feel like a kid again cranking 25 or 6 to 4

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Dancing lights againnst the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4

WOW, I've never even heard A Hit By Varèse

Holy shiz

this is quad like it should be heard

I wasn't a quad fan back in the day, thought it was superfluous to stereo but Holy Shitz it's quad like this on a proper system that has radically changed my mind.

Beginnings and I'm a Man possibly the greatest quad ever laid down???

the 192kHz doesn't hurt either ;) :p

BTW this song (Beginnings) failed to chart on its initial release. It just shows IMO how much critics, etc know about music (and especially about surround later on when it became a thing).

It's funny, things did exist in 1974 but the world didn't know it, but I (and you) did in my basement.

and if anyone didn't get the Southern California Purples reference to severely heavy Cali pot that puts you on your ass well, you needs to be smoking better weed lolz

Last edited:
Not sure this has convinced me to re-think the least-played album in my box--god, I still remember the horrific letdown when I brought home the LP the week of its release and dropped the needle for the first time--but it's still a good read. And I didn't know about those outtakes/bonus tracks on the 2002 stereo remasters. Makes me want to track them down, especially for any other rejects from the Chicago VII sessions.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2020/03/24/chicago-viii-deep-cuts/

Last edited:
Not sure this has convinced me to re-think the least-played album in my box--god, I still remember the horrific letdown when I brought home the LP the week of its release and dropped the needle for the first time--but it's still a good read. And I didn't know about those outtakes/bonus tracks on the 2002 stereo remasters. Makes me want to track them down, especially for any other rejects from the Chicago VII sessions.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2020/03/24/chicago-viii-deep-cuts/

And three of the five recommended tracks are in the Quadio Box. I'll try it!

‘HIDEAWAY’
‘LONG TIME NO SEE’
‘AIN’T IT BLUE?’

I feel like a kid again cranking 25 or 6 to 4

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Dancing lights againnst the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4

WOW, I've never even heard A Hit By Varèse

Holy shiz

this is quad like it should be heard

I wasn't a quad fan back in the day, thought it was superfluous to stereo but Holy Shitz it's quad like this on a proper system that has radically changed my mind.

Beginnings and I'm a Man possibly the greatest quad ever laid down???

the 192kHz doesn't hurt either ;) :p

^this

and during Southern California Purples he sings

I am he is you are he is you are me
and we are all together

which is a cool nod to
I Am The Walrus - The Beatles

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together

and wow, Someday (August 29, 1968), I was 6 months old and how appropriate it is for this moment in time, less than a month before a momentous election.

and I clearly remember leaving the dentist to go to the park and hearing Saturday in the Park on the most beautiful summer Colorado day playing on someone's radio and it "syncing" so well (this was before iPhone kids;))

I was 10 years old and still remember that moment 🤔 ;)🤟:cool:

I'm so close to voting a 10 (I haven't voted yet) but feel there is just something missing (I think Mastering compression (like a slight muffling)<-- is that a "thing" to all you pros?) that wants me to vote a 9.5 but can only vote a 9.

What should I do about this desperate, tumultuous dilemma????????

Last edited:
What should I do about this desperate, tumultuous dilemma????????

Go back and listen to the redbook CD's of CTA and Chicago II, especially the redbook version of 25 or 6 to 4. That will tell you what to vote here.

[Edit: And listen to the redbook of Beginnings and then go back to the Quadio. That will also clear your head of any confusion.]

I tried to do a search for this in the group but nothing came up. It might have been answered already. But--
How did Chicago, which was on Columbia Records for the life of the band, end up having this box Blu-ray set issued on Rhino, which is Warner? 🤔

The group signed their catalog over to Rhino (Warner) a few years ago.

I heard first Chicago CTA in surround and it sounded great.Now I will be able to listen to 9 of their albums in quadro with better mix.It will take some time to "digest" all of this material in my home theatre.

I'm so glad some of you were able to get this set. I am by no means a huge Chicago fan, but it goes down as one of my favorite purchases of all time.
Talk to me drphibes, as I feel the same way. Not a huge fan, but I've been enjoying the Doobies Quaddio box a lot. And the Chicago box is more highly rated. What makes it one of your favorite buys? What surprised you about it?

Back