Chicago street named "John Prine Way"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Chicago City Council expected to vote and approve "John Prine Way" name for street. There is a vote expected on this at the 5/20/20 (today) city council meeting. I'm not sure what street, but I'd suspect that Wells St. might be it. "The Earl of Old Town" was where Prine became known on the local scene, was on Wells St. Ditto for Bonnie Koloc, Steve Goodman & others.

RIP Prine & Earl Pionke.

Stay tuned for details:

Chicago City Council expected to vote and approve "John Prine Way" name for street. There is a vote expected on this at the 5/20/20 (today) city council meeting. I'm not sure what street, but I'd suspect that Wells St. might be it. "The Earl of Old Town" was where Prine became known on the local scene, was on Wells St. Ditto for Bonnie Koloc, Steve Goodman & others.

RIP Prine & Earl Pionke.

Stay tuned for details:
That's a great thing to do!

They Ought to Name a Drink After You:

Couldn't find a damn thing on line or on TV news other than it was proposed. So, we sent an E-Mail to a close friend who is Political Editor for one of the local news outlets.

Our pal E-Mailed back: "Yes sir. It passed 49-0. (Ald. Carrie Austin was absent, and she's battling a federal investigation these days so she's kinda busy.) Sponsored by 43rd Ward Ald. Michele Smith (the ald. for Lincoln Park.)"

It will NOT be on Wells St. near the Earl of Old Town, as I speculated. It WILL be on Armitage Ave. near the original location of Old Town School of Folk Music in Lincoln Park (neighborhood, not the park itself.) Prine studied there.

I believe Old Town School still has that facility, even though they took over a old Chicago Public Library a couple miles away on Lincoln Ave. That was over 15 years ago. The new place is a PALACE and a great concert venue.

A well deserved honor that should have been done long before Prine died!

Here is a PDF file of the approved motion, now an ordinance:

johnprine.pdf
36.1kB

Back