Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, just the ability to buy more music with the money you saved on not buying a big box.

I haven't bothered to listen to the stereo remix. I didn't notice a Moraz track timing error on the 5.1 mix...though it has its own issues (primarily, the missing bass 'lead' at the end of "Safe"; I also wish Jakko had included a less, um, revisionist 5.1 mix of of 'Lucky Seven").

From the complaint, I wonder if the 'stereo remix; is in fact just a poor fold-down of the 5.1?

Glad I didn’t get that pressing 😜
I just pulled out the discs with the original and new mixes because that linked had my curiosity up.

Now I don’t play a studio mixing engineer on TV but I could not hear any of the so called mess ups that were mentioned in that Discogs review. The reviewer might be correct on the off-time issues but I couldn’t hear it and even if I did it wasn’t enough to throw me off.

He is right about one thing, Silently Falling does seem to be extended by about 20 seconds longer than the original but it is really just another run at the coda. That seems weird since it is being labeled as remaster of the original mix.

Seems to me that the reviewer wanted to jump on the diss Jakko bus.

However, I do see Ssully’s point on Lucky Seven. Jakko seems to have included some strings that didn’t seem to be on the original. I am not sure I noticed what he thought was missing at the end of Safe.

My 2 cents - I thought Jakko did an alright job. Plenty of discrete moments. Especially those new strings in Lucky Seven. I took a half point off for the mix on Squire’s bass. It sounds a a bit more thick and wet on the 5.1. I would have preferred to hear the tighter sound that is there on the original.

The other half point knock off was for the price tag. But that has been rectified with this new blu-ray version.

Glad I didn’t get that pressing 😜
I just pulled out the discs with the original and new mixes because that linked had my curiosity up.

Now I don’t play a studio mixing engineer on TV but I could not hear any of the so called mess ups that were mentioned in that Discogs review. The reviewer might be correct on the off-time issues but I couldn’t hear it and even if I did it wasn’t enough to throw me off.

He is right about one thing, Silently Falling does seem to be extended by about 20 seconds longer than the original but it is really just another run at the coda. That seems weird since it is being labeled as remaster of the original mix.

? The box set contains two stereo mixes: the original mix, remastered, and the 2.0 remix done by Jakko. Which one did you listen to?

LATER: I checked and by golly the remaster *is* extended on Silently Falling...where the LP faded out, the new remaster one lets the tape run to the end.

JAkko's remix, on the other hand, is actually marginally shorter than the original track mix, fading out about 5 seconds before the original does.

However, I do see Ssully’s point on Lucky Seven. Jakko seems to have included some strings that didn’t seem to be on the original. I am not sure I noticed what he thought was missing at the end of Safe.

If you know the album, you can't fail to notice that Squire's entire 'solo' under the final orchestral section is...gone, in the remix. Leaving the orchestra to repeat the same 15-beat phrase, over and over,...now for no particular reason!

One other thing: the original mix (old Japanese CD) and remastered original mix (CD in box) have the same coda to 'Safe', musically. (There is a slight difference in timing...the remaster fades to silence at ~14:59 in the track , the old one ~3 seconds earlier. The two masterings look and sound quite distinct (i'll show this in the next post), enough so that they could be from different tape sources, and it could simply be that the new mastering either runs slightly slower, or has more signal above noise at the fadeout, than the old mastering.)

The 2.0 remix also fades to black at around ~14:59, like the original, but musically the coda is different -- it has a strange 'echo' effect added, so most of the notes are heard twice, especially toward the end. It sounds like a mess; the slow, choir-like melody Squire is playing gets garbled. Another fuckup on JJ's part, or a quirky choice?

Last edited:
I would guess the Japanese CD was sourced from the LP cutting master; the remaster may have gone back to the original master tapes.
Here's 'Safe' from the 1990s Japanese CD (top) and the box set remaster

Untitled.png

Thanks Ssully. I tried to compare the "original mix" with the new mix. Both from this box set. I never had an earlier copy of this album.

My ears and system must be no where near yours. I am going to have to go back and listen yet again. Does Squire's solo in Safe really stand out in the past mixes with the orchestration in the background?

My ears and system must be no where near yours. I am going to have to go back and listen yet again. Does Squire's solo in Safe really stand out in the past mixes with the orchestration in the background?

Yes. It starts out with the lowest bass notes, and climbs to the highest. In the original mix (old CD and remaster) it starts at ~12:20. I play bass, I notice these things, and I've been a fan of this album since 1975. But it doesn't require special ears to hear. Once you hear it you can't help notice that it is gone .

Also, the section makes no arrangement sense without Squire's part...the orchestra just plays virtually the same theme over and over, it's only doing that to provide a backdrop to Chris's big finale 'lead'.

Last edited:
Back