Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🤦‍♂️ You gotta laugh.
I pre-ordered Seeds of Love from ImportCD and I am still waiting.
I ordered this through the label Cherry Red and it hasn't ship from there - I am still waiting.

can't win :ROFLMAO:
It's well worth the wait. My copy arrived today from Cherry Red.

I'm not familiar with the album but this is another disc that I've purchased because of the surround mix.

It's very "Yes" like but that is what you would expect. The songs are very good, the playing exemplary and the surround mix is very discrete (courtesy of Jakko Jakszyk I think). The surrounds are very active and even when the production gets a bit dense there is still a sense of space. It's been a great couple of months for surround releases. :LB:LB:LB

It's well worth the wait. My copy arrived today from Cherry Red.

I'm not familiar with the album but this is another disc that I've purchased because of the surround mix.

It's very "Yes" like but that is what you would expect. The songs are very good, the playing exemplary and the surround mix is very discrete (courtesy of Jakko Jakszyk I think). The surrounds are very active and even when the production gets a bit dense there is still a sense of space. It's been a great couple of months for surround releases. :LB:LB:LB
I normally buy direct from Cherry Red, but this time went via the Shed, I've got the DVD version so not in a rush. Its an album I bought on cassette when it was released!

It’s here! It gave me a scare when it wouldn’t play. Fortunately the disc just needed cleaning.

The surround mix is even better than I hoped. I didn’t even notice that missing solo. The spread of the orchestra instruments is pleasing.

Next up is the stereo mix which had a startling focus in my brief sample. Too bad it’s not on a dvd-a I could play on the big room stereo.

It’s here! It gave me a scare when it wouldn’t play. Fortunately the disc just needed cleaning.

Mine doesn't want to play and cleaning doesn't help - at the point after the Esoteric screen when (I'm guessing) a menu should appear I just get a black screen with no button functionality. My player (OPPO BDP83 with up-to-date firmware / never had any issue playing anything before) says Top Menu on its display, but that's it.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

I've had my BluRay copy since Friday, but have only just got around to giving it a spin.

I'm delighted to report that it's absolutely superb! The (Jakko) 5.1 mix is very well done; dynamic, discrete and very suited to the style of the music (it's basically Yes.) The recording quality and fidelity are both surprisingly good, making it sound like a recent recording.

An absolute steal for £11.99 from Cherry Red, too. :)

I ordered mine from Importcds.com on Tuesday, 10/27/20 and it was delivered on Friday, 10/30/20. I‘m very happy with the 5.1 mix thus far, but I’ll give it a few more listens before I express an opinion. I was vaguely familiar with the content being a huge Yes fan when this album was released in 1975. I think of all the early solo projects by the various band members, this one falls somewhere in the middle with Rick Wakeman’s, “Six Wives of Henry the VIII” and Jon Anderson’s, “Olias of Sunhillow” being at the top of the heap, musically speaking.

Listening to the 5.1 Blu-Ray for the first time now. It's pretty discrete and quite different than the original stereo version at certain points. I'm not super-familiar with this album, but I noticed what sounds like saxophones(?) in the rear speakers during the instrumental buildup in "Silently Falling" that's nowhere near as prominent in the stereo mix. The rears are used well (usually for strings and backing vocals) and--as with other Jakko mixes--there's a lot happening in the center channel. Not just lead vocals, but also bass guitar, drums, and flute. Perhaps Squire's voice could be a touch louder? I'll need to listen further before voting, but the price is definitely right if you like the material.

Mine doesn't want to play and cleaning doesn't help - at the point after the Esoteric screen when (I'm guessing) a menu should appear I just get a black screen with no button functionality. My player (OPPO BDP83 with up-to-date firmware / never had any issue playing anything before) says Top Menu on its display, but that's it.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Same exact problem here with my Oppo BDP-83SE.

Back