Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i finally got confirmation cherry red shipped mine on Oct 27 after sending them three emails. I sure hope I don't get a defective disc.

Sometimes these kinds of problems with Oppo players can be remedied by going into the settings and picking the option 'Clear Persistent Storage'. The procedure is slightly different between the 83/85, 93/95 and 103/105 generations, but it's clearly marked in all of them.

Sometimes these kinds of problems with Oppo players can be remedied by going into the settings and picking the option 'Clear Persistent Storage'. The procedure is slightly different between the 83/85, 93/95 and 103/105 generations, but it's clearly marked in all of them.

Was able to clear the storage, however it didn’t fix the problem. Thanks though for reaching out! Much appreciated!!

Was able to clear the storage, however it didn’t fix the problem. Thanks though for reaching out! Much appreciated!!

Have you made sure, as well, that your firmware is updated to the most recent version?

(with the caveat that I don't know if later firmware versions on some of these players remove desirable features like ISO/folder playback etc, so do so at your own risk and make sure you're fully informed before doing so)

Have you made sure, as well, that your firmware is updated to the most recent version?

(with the caveat that I don't know if later firmware versions on some of these players remove desirable features like ISO/folder playback etc, so do so at your own risk and make sure you're fully informed before doing so)
Yes, it is, however with Oppo out of business the latest firmware update for the BDP83 was in November 26, 2014! lol

Fish Out of Water [BD~A 5.1] plays flawlessly on both my OPPO BDP93 and the 205. Hope all of you who have experienced snafus reach a resolution either with a replacement or otherwise.

And now I can replace the LOSSY DVD~V in my box set with this fantastic LOSSLESS remaster!

I do have a 205 (still boxed) and a Panasonic in my basement that can play it so all is not lost. Just very bizarre.

Normally, the OPPOs play everything you can throw at it .... but a few of the recent BD~As do present occasional hiccups to my BDP 93 which of course do NOT manifest themselves on the 205 which is hooked up to WiFi and is constantly upgraded through the internet [the 205 did recently upgrade the 4K video to both HDR10+ as well as dolby vision].

Cherry Red shipped mine, should be here via USPS by Friday.
My copy arrived one day earlier than expected from Cherry Red. I listened to it tonight, the sound is incredible. I haven't done any comparison of the earlier DVD version to see how much better. I watched the promo videos and commentary with Chris Squire again (they were on the DVD version, too), really nice to hear the full story straight from the master.

My copy of Fish arrived today! I've been adjusting my system recently, so I can't comfortably comment on the mix yet, other than to note that it seems center speaker busy for me. However... I can state that I found the Blu-ray blue packaging clashed with the excellent cover design, so I perused my Pure Audio discs for a good choice for a switcheroo. Tommy turned out to be a perfect candidate and I he think benefited even more than Chris from the switch - as the gold lettering doesn't quite match the silver gray on the Fish cover. I can also state that this is a wonderful overall package - with the surround mix, stereo and original stereo mixes, audio commentary, promo video and a thorough booklet... Whew! At a very reasonable price, with no foolish baubles or redundant vinyl or CDs, this is an exemplary release! Bravo Esoteric!!!
IMG_4060.JPG

My copy of Fish arrived today! I've been adjusting my system recently, so I can't comfortably comment on the mix yet, other than to note that it seems center speaker busy for me. However... I can state that I found the Blu-ray blue packaging clashed with the excellent cover design, so I perused my Pure Audio discs for a good choice for a switcheroo. Tommy turned out to be a perfect candidate and I he think benefited even more than Chris from the switch - as the gold lettering doesn't quite match the silver gray on the Fish cover. I can also state that this is a wonderful overall package - with the surround mix, stereo and original stereo mixes, audio commentary, promo video and a thorough booklet... Whew! At a very reasonable price, with no foolish baubles or redundant vinyl or CDs, this is an exemplary release! Bravo Esoteric!!!
View attachment 59005
:ROFLMAO: only a seasoned and staunchly QQer would even think of that 💪

View attachment 59005

Aesthetically quite pleasing, Scott, with the only snafu from the switch being, if another member of your household reaches for TOMMY expecting to see the Ken Russell production [in ALL it's excessive glory], they'll say what many posters on Amazon said when they bought into DVD~A ..... NO PICTURE!

IMG_4060.JPG

My gut feeling is the player's old JAVA Virtual Machine can't properly decode the JAVA BD-J code off the disc due to version differences
I suspect something like that. I emailed Esoteric Recordings and got a reply they will look into this but had not heard of the problem. I encourage other 83 owners to let them know. Fwiw I recently bought the Doobie Bros Blu Ray box set and all 4 discs play perfectly.

Back