Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also unsure how I rate this album. I got a first press Japanese CD of this title when it was rare and very desirable. But it sounded dull to me like 3rd gen tapes used, and I could never be satisfied with it. I never found a good used clean vinyl copy without ring wear and that was priced right (but they are out there). So I really looked forward to the 5.1 and I sprang for the big $80+ box just to hear it.

The original mix mastering in the box sounds lower-gen than the old Japanese CD.

I was not blown away musically. I wanted parts of it it to reach the level of CTTE or Relayer, or even get close to that in certain passages, and I have not heard any that do. I was also disappointed that the vinyl LP included in the big box was not the newer remixed 2-chan version. They could have had the more rare (and exclusive) mix on vinyl and created a really special package there. I'll revisit the 5.1 again soon., see if I change my mind some.

Jakko got a more satisfying Bruford sound in his 5.1 mix of this than Steven Wilson got on any of his Bruford-era Yes 5.1 mixes. The organ and keys and orchestra also sound spectacular. Curiously Where JJ seems to have fluffed it a bit tone-wise is his treatment of Squire -- the bass , which sounds 'wetter' in JJs mixes than the original mix, and the lead vocals, which sound slightly less present. (In addition to the complete and unadvertised absence of the 'lead bass' line near the end of the album)

I suggest those who aren't familiar with the original mix, become so first before trying to evaluate the remixes.

Last edited:
I first heard this album in '76 on a local "Free-form progressive rock" FM station, usually would play side 2 in its entirety. Nice 20 min break for the DJ!

Still have the LP I bought then...

squire-fishoutLP.jpg

Have to agree with the above two reviews. I've had this on vinyl and now have the
stand alone bluray.
If this was the Olias album in mc I would be ecstatic This is good but not great music. From the viewpoint of listening to a phenomenal bass player you don't get what you would expect as a fan.
But anyways I will listen more.
Listen I remember getting Steve Howes first solo album and being excited to hear it then being disappointed. Got rid of it pretty quick.
Its certainly great to have choices.
Jon Anderson was caught talking about Olias of Sunhillow in 5.1 recently!

RE: No play with Oppo 83 or Seiki BD-660 (two so far): Got a reply back from Esoteric. They said return it for a refund, nothing they can do. It plays on their Sony and Samsung players so they have no resolution with the Oppo. I bought it from Cherry Red, shipped to me from UK. paid for with PayPal. Isn't that the retail part of Esoteric?

Got mine this weekend. Seems to play fine on my cheap Sony.

Have to agree with the above two reviews. I've had this on vinyl and now have the
stand alone bluray.
If this was the Olias album in mc I would be ecstatic This is good but not great music. From the viewpoint of listening to a phenomenal bass player you don't get what you would expect as a fan.

umm...this Squire fan since 1971...and owner of this album since 1975...and bass player since 1976...disagrees strongly. It's exceptional music and wholly unique in the annals of 'bass player solo albums', in a good way. It's better than a fair number of Yes albums.

Hey I expressed a subjective opinion which I try to refrain from doing too frequently and yours is equally valid. Im not a musician. Its possible you hear things that I dont. I did play it again yesterday and enjoyed it. Just curious which Yes albums do you prefer this over?

Hey I expressed a subjective opinion which I try to refrain from doing too frequently and yours is equally valid. Im not a musician. Its possible you hear things that I dont. I did play it again yesterday and enjoyed it. Just curious which Yes albums do you prefer this over?

Pretty much every one that came after it, possibly excepting Drama.

I first heard this album in '76 on a local "Free-form progressive rock" FM station, usually would play side 2 in its entirety. Nice 20 min break for the DJ!

Still have the LP I bought then...

View attachment 59108

Alison 'the Nightbird' Steele premiered it on WNEW-FM in NYC (late at night of course)...and I recall she wasn't sure when 'Safe' ended (if you know it you know why) and came back on speaking, before it was over.

RE: No play with Oppo 83 or Seiki BD-660 (two so far): Got a reply back from Esoteric. They said return it for a refund, nothing they can do. It plays on their Sony and Samsung players so they have no resolution with the Oppo. I bought it from Cherry Red, shipped to me from UK. paid for with PayPal. Isn't that the retail part of Esoteric?
Lol, not shocked. Small subset of players for them to care about.

Back