Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...We are currently investigating this and are in contact with OPPO, we will update you as soon as we have any further information...
It would sure be nice if Oppo released one last update to the Java operating code so these players can live on with fewer glitches like this.

Last edited:

If you look at the information screens I took here of Fish Out Of Water at the time of play you’ll see that the Blu-ray is delivering significantly more information at any given moment than the DVD could possibly offer. I’ve posted pix from my screen to give you an idea of what I am talking about: look for the number in the upper left corner to see what I am talking about here.

While I was going down this rabbit hole, I discovered something equally interesting but not entirely surprising: the LPCM version of Fish Out Of Water seems to be delivering more information still than the DTS HD Master Audio version! This makes some sense and I haven’t fully decided which version I like better. The DTS version is louder and somewhat tighter sounding — again, this is a compression scheme so the final determinant of how things sound to you the listener is really about how it processes the sound and presents it in your 5.1 channel home theater system

:rolleyes:

He has no clue. Leaving aside the basic flaw here (sighted comparison), his conclusion from his 'data'...the relationship between bitrates and perceived audio quality.. is actually not linear, particularly where lossy codecs are involved. 'More' does not mean 'better'. 'More' does not explain what he (thinks) he hears.

This is a fine example of the silly 'rabbit holes' audiophiles go down thanks to 'sighted' comparisons + misunderstood technology.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

He has no clue. Leaving aside the basic flaw here (sighted comparison), his conclusion from his 'data'...the relationship between bitrates and perceived audio quality.. is actually not linear, particularly where lossy codecs are involved. 'More' does not mean 'better'. 'More' does not explain what he (thinks) he hears.

This is a fine example of the silly 'rabbit holes' audiophiles go down thanks to 'sighted' comparisons + misunderstood technology.

Just the messenger. (I also thought it was telling that he said nothing about the missing bassline in "Safe.")

Mine's arrived in rural NSW from Burning Shed, after they had an initial delay in getting supplies. Shipped Nov. 21, got it last week.

I think I have been screwed over again by amazon.com.au. I pre-ordered it from them because they had a good price and for some inexplicable reason I had a $10 credit - but they are still showing out of stock.

I previously had problems with one of the APP discs, possibly Tales. Amazon.com.au had a good price and a free shipping deal, but they cancelled the order saying the manufacturer had cancelled the product. When I challenged that they admitted it was just out of stock and told me I could re-order. The price had gone up and I lost the free shipping, so I ended up getting it at WowHD.

Back