Cinque “Catch A Corner” - new Atmos Jazz release on IAA!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
Following the positive reception to Monkey House’s Remember The Audio back in December, I’m thrilled to announce the next in a series of high-resolution Atmos downloads from Alma Records’ back-catalog.

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/catch-a-corner-cinque-atmos-mkv-mp4/
The album was originally released in late 2011, but only recently remixed in Atmos for (close to) its tenth anniversary by original recording/mix engineer John “Beetle” Bailey. The Atmos mix is not yet available on the streaming services, and I’m not sure if or when it will be.

I can’t really speak with authority on the music itself, but to my untrained ear this almost sounds like a mid-70s CTI production (think Grover Washington Jr’s Soul Box or Stanley Turrentine’s Don’t Mess With Mr. T) that’s somehow eluded release until the present-day. Standout tracks for me are the funky “Saturday Night, Sunday Morning” and soulful instrumental cover of "Still Crazy After All These Years”.

Bailey’s Atmos mix isn’t quite like one of those four-corner CTI quads, but it is very discrete with the rhythm section largely upfront and accompanying elements (keys, organ, horns, percussion, etc) dotted all around the room. The dynamic range and overall sonic quality are again stellar to my ears, this guy is a real pro.

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/catch-a-corner-cinque-dolby-atmos/

Following the positive reception to Monkey House’s Remember The Audio back in December, I’m thrilled to announce the next in a series of high-resolution Atmos downloads from Alma Records’ back-catalog.

The album was originally released in late 2011, but only recently remixed in Atmos for (close to) its tenth anniversary by original recording/mix engineer John “Beetle” Bailey. The Atmos mix is not yet available on the streaming services, and I’m not sure if or when it will be.

I can’t really speak with authority on the music itself, but to my untrained ear this almost sounds like a mid-70s CTI production (think Grover Washington Jr’s Soul Box or Stanley Turrentine’s Don’t Mess With Mr. T) that’s somehow eluded release until the present-day. Standout tracks for me are the funky “Saturday Night, Sunday Morning” and soulful cover of "Still Crazy After All These Years”.

Bailey’s Atmos mix isn’t quite like one of those four-corner CTI quads, but it is very discrete with the rhythm section largely upfront and accompanying elements (keys, organ, horns, percussion, etc) dotted all around the room. The dynamic range and overall sonic quality are again stellar to my ears, this guy is a real pro.

Steve Gadd and Joey DeFrancesco--'nuff said. Sign me up!

Steve Gadd and Joey DeFrancesco--'nuff said. Sign me up!
Seriously. Listening in stereo right now over Apple Music and it's killler. Wish I had a reliable way to play Atmos files correctly from a Mac... my hardware will catch up with my downloading ambitions someday; until then I'll have to roll with the downmix to 7.1. Pity me.

Seriously. Listening in stereo right now over Apple Music and it's killler. Wish I had a reliable way to play Atmos files correctly from a Mac... my hardware will catch up with my downloading ambitions someday; until then I'll have to roll with the downmix to 7.1. Pity me.
Same. Got the e-mail announcing this I’m giving it a (stereo) listen right now. Just on the first song, but so far so good.

Didn't realize VLC for Mac also (like Windows) had a bitstream/pass-through option--that's good to know. Now if only the Apple Music app would follow suit. . . .
I’m not clear on how VLC works with the bitstream/pass-through, but the options for the Windows version aren’t exactly the same as the Mac version and I’m not seeing that option.

I did get my Mac-to-AVR-via-HDMI set properly and VLC works for 7.1, but I’m not getting heights. And I can’t find an option in the Mac VLC that might change that. I’m generally assuming it’s user error, but even as-is I’m thrilled with this method so I can play downloads from places like IAA.

Didn't realize VLC for Mac also (like Windows) had a bitstream/pass-through option--that's good to know.
I’m not clear on how VLC works with the bitstream/pass-through, but the options for the Windows version aren’t exactly the same as the Mac version and I’m not seeing that option.
It definitely works on PC (under the audio preferences, there's a "passthrough" box to check off). I could have sworn that it also worked with my MacBook Pro and Denon S750H AVR - the screen lit up "Dolby Atmos" and not just 7.1 TrueHD - but unfortunately I'm unable to test again at the moment.

It definitely works on PC (under the audio preferences, there's a "passthrough" box to check off). I could have sworn that it also worked with my MacBook Pro and Denon S750H AVR - the screen lit up "Dolby Atmos" and not just 7.1 TrueHD - but unfortunately I'm unable to test again at the moment.
This is what I get for options with the latest VLC. I’m listening to Monkey House now and my receiver shows “Multi Ch In 7.1” instead of “Atmos.”

Sounds beautiful in 7.1. Maybe it’s a Mac issue or just this particular version of VLC... or user error. (I used to work in the computer world and at one place I was contracting, the on-site tech support stuff would often code problems with PEBTCATK... problem exists between the chair and the keyboard.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 3.35.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 3.35.39 PM.png
    217.1 KB · Views: 0
This is what I get for options with the latest VLC. I’m listening to Monkey House now and my receiver shows “Multi Ch In 7.1” instead of “Atmos.”

Sounds beautiful in 7.1. Maybe it’s a Mac issue or just this particular version of VLC... or user error. (I used to work in the computer world and at one place I was contracting, the on-site tech support stuff would often code problems with PEBTCATK... problem exists between the chair and the keyboard.)
I've just had a quick look at all the "advanced" settings in VLC for Mac and can't find the pass-through option featured in the Windows version. I think--but I'd love to be corrected--that Apple has limited the "CoreAudio" portion of MacOS so that it won't feed an E-AC3 or TrueHD Atmos stream straight to your AVR for processing over HDMI. Rather, it strips out the 7.1 bed and feeds it to the AVR as 8 channels of PCM audio. Baffling.

See E-AC3, ( Dolby Digital Plus ) - Failure to pass this Audio Format correctly... - The VideoLAN Forums

I'm all over this.
Yes... back to the album. I listened to the whole stereo version on streaming and it was really nice. So this needs to go on my purchase list.

(Apologies to all... I think this is the second IAA-related release post where I’ve contributed to it going off-topic. I’m just really excited to try to get this to work right because of releases like this that I’d love to hear in their full Atmos glory.)

(Apologies to all... I think this is the second IAA-related release post where I’ve contributed to it going off-topic. I’m just really excited to try to get this to work right because of releases like this that I’d love to hear in their full Atmos glory.)
No need to apologize, I think it's a topic worthy of its own thread. There must be some way to bitstream Atmos from a Mac...

No need to apologize, I think it's a topic worthy of its own thread. There must be some way to bitstream Atmos from a Mac...
Yeah, I’ve tried everything with JRiver and Kodi and can’t get the AVR to ever recognize it as Atmos and kick anything into the heights. One day we’ll crack it together!

I have been able to get it working with a PC and JRiver though, so it’s some kind of Mac weirdness. Even though in that scenario, when A/Bing the Atmos files against the disc they were ripped from (played through a Blu Ray player), the experience/mix/placement is significantly different… so I don’t know what the heck is going on there.

Last edited:

I can’t really speak with authority on the music itself, but to my untrained ear this almost sounds like a mid-70s CTI production (think Grover Washington Jr’s Soul Box or Stanley Turrentine’s Don’t Mess With Mr. T) that’s somehow eluded release until the present-day. Standout tracks for me are the funky “Saturday Night, Sunday Morning” and soulful instrumental cover of "Still Crazy After All These Years”.

For goodness sake keep this online for a while! I'm a little tapped out right now...(big whine coming up) I just put tires on the car and some repairs so that was $1300 + recent music purchases.
Gotta let the coffers refill. lol.

Alright! My retirement account saw a deposit so I was able to snag this one today. Won't be able to listen until this afternoon but should be worth the wait.

Alright! My retirement account saw a deposit so I was able to snag this one today. Won't be able to listen until this afternoon but should be worth the wait.
...and it was! Very enjoyable.

@sjcorne I don't know if this in the realm of possibility or just a pipe dream. There have been a lot of recordings made in Paris by....WDR I think, name of the club escapes me right now. But anyway, lots of jazz greats and some of my fave guitarists in the genre like Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Robben Ford, etc. I've been able to snag a BD here and there but not all that much. The sound is usually about what you could expect from a club perhaps a little better as everyone seems aware recording is happening. Maybe something worth looking in to? There used to be a way to buy but I've lost track of it now.

I've never been much of a jazz guy and I don't know a thing about it but this
album is killer. The musicians are excellent and the Atmos mix is very good.
The recording itself is just so smooth and mellow, a very warm balance that
just pulls you in. Very keyboard dominated, the playing is something I wished
of in my fondest dreams. I'm listening tonight for about the 5 or 6th time.
Love It.

Back