HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - REPTILE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Eric Clapton - REPTILE

• Total voters
I don't think you should rate records which you do not like the music, it's counter intuitive, I personally don't bother getting stuff I don't like and a low vote for a disc to which you do not like the music will NOT be helpful at all towards others in the forum who do like that kind of music; you are better off spending your money and reviewing stuff you like..but, hey, you can do what you like, just my 2 cents
He voted 8, so did I a long time ago, what's wrong with that?

Even though I gave it a 10 (I just really like the music), I feel an 8 is reasonable enough, but below a 7, and I start to wonder what's up, and I believe the voting consensus supports that.

If you enjoy Clapton's more conservative work (aka not heavier Cream style) I'd recommend at least giving it a shot.

He voted 8, so did I a long time ago, what's wrong with that?
an "8" is a great score! ❤️

i find a "7" for something the calibre of some of the Vocalion Quad stuff borderline bonkers but then i'm bonkers too so its all fair in love and Quad and it wouldn't do for us all to think the same anyway otherwise there'd be no need for the Polls! 🤭😅😂

I think there is too much emphasis on scores in the polls. (And it uses up a lot of mods' time.) I think words are much more important. But I decided to make an effort to vote more - there are quite a few polls I've commented on but not voted. I do also think people vote too highly, which means it's difficult to differentiate the entries.

I understand the concern about voting if you don't love the music, but I think I'm able to separate the two (mix vs music). I sometimes worry that the opposite effect is in play - I suspect there are a lot of votes where people clearly love the music but are then over-impressed by the mix. So forcing yourself to separate out the elements - music, mix and sound - helps to clarify what you really think. I think that voting on a release, even if I hated the music (which I don't in this case), is valid. Quite possibly more useful. If I read, "I love this band!! 10/10" I would not take too much notice. But if I read, "I really cannot enjoy the music, but the mix and sound quality are undeniably great, 7/10" it would mean more to me when making a decision on whether to buy.

For me personally, the Clapton disc would be a 6 or maybe a 7. It's well recorded and the mix is a little conservative but I still thought the mix was good. I would never listen to this in stereo. So in music terms it's a 5/10 but the mix and sound make it a bit better for me, so I'd give it a 6 or 7. In an attempt to make my vote more useful, I weighted it - tripled the mix, doubled the sound. This gives a total out of 30, which I divide by 3. Which gave an 8. This felt right as it is higher than my personal rating but the mix and sound imply it should be. Like I everybody else, I reserve the right to change my mind and also to 'massage' the score if it feels right (i.e. push it up or down a point.) I think we all do that, but at least this way it forces you to notice that you are doing it.

I did wonder whether to include the 'music' vote at all, but I think that is valid, just not as important, hence the weighting for the other elements. E.g. I love The Beatles, I like all their albums. But I will still rate White Album higher than For Sale. So if they had the same sound and mix quality, it makes sense to differentiate them slightly based on music.

Out of interest, I've calculated what score I would give even if I hated the music (which I don't):

4*3 + 5*2 + 1*1 = 23/30 = 7.66 = .... (drum roll).... 8/10!

This just shows how the music element is not making much difference.

Last edited:
Back