HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - SLOWHAND [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Eric Clapton - SLOWHAND

• Total voters
Yeah, it's a pretty emotional song. Always been a favorite of mine. This is actually one of the very first SACD I ever bought....might have to dig it out. :)

Best version to my liking is the one on 24 Nights with Katie Kissoon. Check it out if you have the chance!

Best version for me comes from a boot, where he starts with Peaches and Diesel and segues into Wonderful Tonight.

Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica on 11 February 1978.

Just bought this. Rate it a 6 for the songs, 9 for the surround mix. I love a mix where you can hear the kick drum and bass distinctly as they lock together.

Was doing some consolidating and pulling some 5.1 FLAC's up in Audacity today just for fun - mix is pretty OK on this one, on "Lay Down Sally" there are discrete backing vocals in the rear, some off-beat snare, organ, and then I went to check out the sub channel and randomly there are full range backing vocals on that channel. Duplicate of the RR channel, but otherwise normal sub information. Odd.

I gave it an 8. The mix is surprisingly good! Vocals are mostly in the center, drums and bass are only in the fronts, while organ, rhythm guitar, and backing vocals are isolated in the rears. Lead guitar solos are upfront. Honestly, that's not dissimilar to the SW approach.

"Wonderful Tonight" is particularly immersive thanks to those discrete backing vocals. I got the same shiver down my spine during that track as I did when I first heard "Seven Bridges Road" or "South City Midnight Lady". Hearing backing vocals or overdubbed harmonies separated out so cleanly is one of the most joyous parts of a surround remix IMO.

Last edited:
A warm sounding discrete mix with plenty of action in the rear surround channels. I was surprised at the mediocre reviews from QQ members. I liked this SACD a lot andI rate the surround a high 9 the material an 8 plus. Figuring in the low cost of this SACD 5.1 I voted 9.

great album, decent sound, ok surround mix , thinking it could have been much better but its merely above average as it stands

great album, decent sound, ok surround mix , thinking it could have been much better but its merely above average as it stands
I felt the 5.1 surround mix was under appreciated on QQ. I have heard plenty well liked / reviewed surround mixes discussed here that were far less discrete or were bright sounding get much better reviews on QQ forum. Plus the SACD is cheap, not locked in a Super Deluxe Edition!
What’s not to like. JMHO

8. Nothing spectacular mix wise but good content and sonics. Yes, it’s a little muddy but that’s the character of the original recording and it’s represented here well in the DSD transfer. The mix of Wonderful Tonight really stands out from the rest of them, love the discrete backing vocals. I agree that the rhythm guitars could be louder and more enveloping. However, I’m happy with it as I got it for just under 20 dollars.

8. Nothing spectacular mix wise but good content and sonics. Yes, it’s a little muddy but that’s the character of the original recording and it’s represented here well in the DSD transfer. The mix of Wonderful Tonight really stands out from the rest of them, love the discrete backing vocals. I agree that the rhythm guitars could be louder and more enveloping. However, I’m happy with it as I got it for just under 20 dollars.
I agree. Backing Vocals, Guitars and Organ are discrete in the rear channels. I like to think of this surround mix as solid and the sonics as warm / analogue sounding. The best part is I paid $7.44 plus shipping from Amazon Marketplace.

Last edited:
Back