Classic Rock - Silverline

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricKalet

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Who has some of the Silver Line DVD-A discs? I popped this in after having not listened to it in many years and wow what a well done variety of MLP 5.1 96/24 tunes. InsideTheMusic_ClassicRock_DVDA_Silverline1.jpgInsideTheMusic_ClassicRock_DVDA_Silverline2.jpg

Can anyone elaborate more on the mix and sonics?

I'm looking at it now and most of the songs seem like elaborate unwrap jobs. The rears may appear to have one instrument more prominent than the fronts, but they are for the most part a reflection of what's upfront with suppressed lead vocal and drums.

"Green-Eyed Lady" is very obviously faked, but on the rest it's harder to tell. They may have had access to some of the multis, because if you listen to the center channel alone on certain tracks you can hear isolated elements. I suspect "Everybody Wants You" is fake as well because it's almost all in the front. For a good chunk of it the rears aren't even engaged. "Heartbreaker" is one of the better mixes- they did a fun around the room pan on the guitar solo at the end.

The best Silverline discs I've heard to date are the Big Phat Band's Swingin' For The Fences and Todd Rundgren's Liars.

Poll thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sts-inside-the-music-classic-rock-dvd-a.8529/

I'm looking at it now and most of the songs seem like elaborate unwrap jobs. The rears may appear to have one instrument more prominent than the fronts, but they are for the most part a reflection of what's upfront with suppressed lead vocal and drums.

"Green-Eyed Lady" is very obviously faked, but on the rest it's harder to tell. They may have had access to some of the multis, because if you listen to the center channel alone on certain tracks you can hear isolated elements. I suspect "Everybody Wants You" is fake as well because it's almost all in the front. For a good chunk of it the rears aren't even engaged. "Heartbreaker" is one of the better mixes- they did a fun around the room pan on the guitar solo at the end.

The best Silverline discs I've heard to date are the Big Phat Band's Swingin' For The Fences and Todd Rundgren's Liars.

Poll thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sts-inside-the-music-classic-rock-dvd-a.8529/

If you haven’t heard The Fixx’s 1011 Woodland yet, you should. A great sounding, true 5.1 mix. One of Silverline’s best without a doubt.

Really? Most Silverline stuff is pretty bad, but there are some exceptions. Maybe this is one of them? There are quite a few tunes there that pique my interest. Can anyone elaborate more on the mix and sonics?

I don’t have this disc but I think these “Inside The Music” discs have gotten a bad rap for the most part. The New Wave one is very good. As is the Classic Jazz and Classic Country. A couple of clunkers on each but that’s about it.

The Surf’s Up disc is much more spotty. This one may be as well?

A handy guide to Silverline, which has been fairly maligned but wasn't all bad.

From the Front Row Live: terrible
Inside the Music: generally surprisingly good - some upmixed tracks, but mostly discrete
Mainline pop/rock albums: likelihood it's discrete and sounds good varies inversely with how well known the band is. Lots of great mixes from unknown acts (generally including one or more members of an established group), whereas famous albums tend to be shoddy upmixes.
Classical: a bizarre mix of discrete and upmixed content - you need to check recording provenance to know what they were working with.

Note that exceptions (E.G. Ace of Spades, which is excellent) apply.

A handy guide to Silverline, which has been fairly maligned but wasn't all bad.

From the Front Row Live: terrible
Inside the Music: generally surprisingly good - some upmixed tracks, but mostly discrete
Mainline pop/rock albums: likelihood it's discrete and sounds good varies inversely with how well known the band is. Lots of great mixes from unknown acts (generally including one or more members of an established group), whereas famous albums tend to be shoddy upmixes.
Classical: a bizarre mix of discrete and upmixed content - you need to check recording provenance to know what they were working with.

Note that exceptions (E.G. Ace of Spades, which is excellent) apply.

As I've mentioned on this forum on numerous occasions, the LIVE from the Front Row is BEST played in 96/24 Stereo and some of them sound surprisingly good .....played the David Crosby Live from the Front Row the other night in stereo and although his renditions of his classic songs aren't on par with later versions, the recording was quite good.....same with Pat Benatar ...EXCELLENT in 96/24 Stereo. Donovan "Fairytales" also excellent in Stereo.

Silverline did us NO favors by infusing their discs with faux surrounds and even though we did purchase them as DVD~A 5.1 discs.......the 96/24 Stereo IS Hi RES and bite the bullet and play it at that resolution. A lot of these discs ARE cheaper then current 96/24 Stereo downloads!

Also sounding GREAT in 96/24 Stereo:
51HGVL22y%2BL.jpg

Last edited:
If you haven’t heard The Fixx’s 1011 Woodland yet, you should. A great sounding, true 5.1 mix. One of Silverline’s best without a doubt.
I second the endorsement for 1011 Woodland ... but with a caveat. The tracks aren't the originals. Its a re-recording done by a version of the same band.

I second the endorsement for 1011 Woodland ... but with a caveat. The tracks aren't the originals. Its a re-recording done by a version of the same band.

Yes. Be aware of that. But not just re-recordings, they are completely different versions of the songs. “Updated” with less of an 80s synth-pop sound to them. Not quite an “unplugged” album, but something along those lines.

And some new songs as well.

Those who aren’t a fan of their 80s sound may find these versions preferable as the songs themselves speak for themselves regardless of arrangement.

I also recommend 1011 Woodland. I like these versions of the songs and the fidelity is great.

Also thank you 4 ears for the Jack Bruce recommendation. I just bought the dualdisc version. Good reviews for the music and I have a guitar playing friend who always liked Bruce more than Clapton even in the Cream period.

Back