Classical Quad to SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greetings: I know that rock/jazz/? tends to dominate the discussion, but has anyone got a good handle on which quad era classical music mixes have made the transition to being released as multichannel SACDs or DVD-A's?
I know of the Vanguard SACDs that were QS albums, about 4 of them I believe. Anyone know of others? Thanks. John

Silverline also had an entire line of Classical DVD-A's that were from the Vanguard label as well.

http://www.silverlineclassics.com/

However, like a lot of stuff from Silverline, at this point they may be OOP.

Another note: As with many (most) of Silverline's titles, they may be 5.1 recreations from stereo masters. The disc I have shows the extensive restoration process and the search for the absolute master tape. It does say that they looked at masters as far back as the 50's and that as Vanguard progressed through the years they went from mono to stereo and then on to 3 and 4 track recording but as far as I can tell you would never know which titles were from those 3 or 4 track masters. For instance, my Vaughn Willaims disc was recorded in 1966... probably not a 3 or 4 track master... or was it.

There was an earlier thread about quad mixes in general that have made it to SACD / DVD-A. Here is what I posted then:

--------------

Today, I came across a couple of QS boxsets on the Vox label at the thrift store. A little bit of Internet research turned up the fact that MOFI has released a number of Vox Box quadraphonic albums on multichannel SACD. As best as I can tell from what I've read online, the SACDs are made from the original quad mixes. Here is the list (the first name is the conductor):

Stanislaw Skrowaczewski - Ravel: Bolero and Assorted Orchestral Works

Walter Susskind - Holst: The Planets

Leonard Slatkin - Gershwin: Rhapsody In Blue/ American in Paris -

Leonard Slatkin - Prokofiev: Lieutenant Kije

Leonard Slatkin - Prokofiev: Ivan the Terrible

Walter Susskind - Smetana: Ma Vlast

Leonard Slatkin - Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition/

Stanislaw Skrowaczewski - Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe/ Ma Mere L'Oye

Also, "The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues" of J. S. Bach played by E Power Biggs is on SACD, though it may be out of print.

J. D.

Thanks for the input guys...in the past 14 months I've acquired about all the 5.1 rock/pop titles I've been looking for, so branching out. Hooked on multichannel I guess. I think I've even tracked down most of the Dolby Surround releases, that is desperate! The Vaughn Williams was recorded in 2 and 3 channel I believe, the current Vanguard owners have only released it in stereo though, so who knows...the Silverline could be the 3 channel version. John.

Pentatone Classics have issued a large number of legacy classical quadraphonic pieces on SACD. Referred to as their RQR series (Remastered Quardro Recordings), here is the complete catalog from Pentatone's website:

[edit: cannot provide a direct link since Pentatone's stupid website always redirects you to the front page!]
Here is an overview of the RQR project:
And finally, here is a page that contains three reviews of RQR titles:

Back