Cleaning up the Akai GX-630D-SS QR2R - Oh My!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped noise from a PC to a recorder by placing a large steel cookie sheet between them.

I used the same trick to protect a recorder from the magnet of a subwoofer.

After two and a half years on my eBay "Watch List" I decided that it was time to get one of those fancy new polyurethane pinch rollers that Jon purchased for his machine. “New Pinch Roller Built By Athan Corp”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273068457120
Comparing it to the original, there is no comparison! The rubber is hard on the old one for one thing, the new one is softer more flexible, should move the tape better. The fact that the replacement has an actual bearing rather than just a bushing is a major improvement, that can't be overstated!

As I posted earlier I have both a GX630DSS and a GX630DB. I should have bought two but they are rather expensive and so I only bought one. I don't use my reels often and so can just share the pinch roller. As I write this I'm playing an old 10" reel mixed tape on the GX630DB.

After two and a half years on my eBay "Watch List" I decided that it was time to get one of those fancy new polyurethane pinch rollers that Jon purchased for his machine. “New Pinch Roller Built By Athan Corp”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273068457120
Comparing it to the original, there is no comparison! The rubber is hard on the old one for one thing, the new one is softer more flexible, should move the tape better. The fact that the replacement has an actual bearing rather than just a bushing is a major improvement, that can't be overstated!

As I posted earlier I have both a GX630DSS and a GX630DB. I should have bought two but they are rather expensive and so I only bought one. I don't use my reels often and so can just share the pinch roller. As I write this I'm playing an old 10" reel mixed tape on the GX630DB.
:unsure: I wonder if it will fit my GX-635D?

Back